Christian with a question....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2016, 09:29 AM
RE: Christian with a question....
These are words <-----
Perhaps we have different definitions for words.
Words are not gods.
Words are not in things.
We speak them or write them.

They are sounds and symbols used for communication.

You can call your god anything you want, but when you do that, you remove the previous definition you held for that god.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2016, 09:39 AM
(18-06-2016 09:29 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  These are words <-----
Words are not gods.
Words are not in things.

Exactly.

Just because a person can string words together in a way that makes their meanings ambiguous, that does not mean that they're saying something profound.

God is the quotient of our desires, and the unceasing essence of our inner consciousness.
Shock, Awe, WOW I just said something really insightful! Ohmy

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 5 users Like cactus's post
18-06-2016, 09:52 AM
(18-06-2016 09:39 AM)cactus Wrote:  
Words are not gods.
Words are not in things.

Exactly.

Just because a person can string words together in a way that makes their meanings ambiguous, that does not mean that they're saying something profound.

God is the quotient of our desires, and the unceasing essence of our inner consciousness.
Worship Slaves
18-06-2016, 09:54 AM
(18-06-2016 09:39 AM)cactus Wrote:  Exactly.

Are you a prophet? Please, tell me whom I should hate!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
18-06-2016, 10:01 AM
Words are not gods.
Words are not in things.

You can call your god anything you want, but when you do that, you remove the previous definition you held for that god.

The "word" is a translation of the "logos" which is the Greek word used in the original work.

"In Christology, the Logos is (Greek: Λόγος, lit. ''Word", "Discourse", or "Reason'').

Christianity rejects the notion of "god" posited by the OP, because if god is "reason" then it is unreasonable to throw people into hell just for not believing that you, god, are a nasty SOB, a sort of spoiled child turned psychopathic bullly.
18-06-2016, 10:26 AM
(17-06-2016 12:24 PM)Phu Cat Wrote:  ...
my old life style of hedonism, self indulgence, being less than responsible.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Blink

(17-06-2016 12:53 PM)Aliza Wrote:  ...
The people here know very well that they're responsible

I'm not! And nor's my wife.

(17-06-2016 03:04 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Great post.

The condensed version would probably read:

Q: Is there life in the universe
A: Yes

Summation: The probablity of life in the universe is 1 or 100%

And another way of saying it...

If things were different then things would be different.

Whoop-dee-doo Drinking Beverage

(17-06-2016 05:47 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 03:13 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I was going to make this same point. Probability arguments are irrelevant when applied to something that has already happened.
And this is exactly why I couldn't finish the apologetics book "Answering the New Atheism: Dismantling Dawkins Case Against God."...

Wow! What are the chances?

Big Grin

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
18-06-2016, 11:47 AM
[size=medium]I have to admit, liberals are usually well educated and that's what makes them dangerous. I'm willing to bet those of you that vote will vote for Hillary this year, so I rest my case. That's enough on politics. No doubt you are more educated than I. But I'm not stupid either.

Hawking's statement makes it
clear that the "Big Bang" never could have possibly have happened no matter how much none believers want it to. And since God's finger prints are all over the place as I said before what other logical conclusion is there to come to? Oh, I know, aliens. You're waiting on aliens to come from outer space to save us from the bad guys of Middle East? Well you keep on waiting for your aliens as that's the only option I see you could possibly have. I have asked my question and gotten my answers. Thank you to those answering in ways you may not realize. I truly appreciate it and will pray for each of your conversions and redemption. Your friend in Christ's love, Phu Cat.
18-06-2016, 12:00 PM
(18-06-2016 11:47 AM)Phu Cat Wrote:  ...
will pray for each of your conversions and redemption. Your friend in Christ's love, Laughat

These guys crack me up

Laugh out load

And he thinks Hillary is a Liberal! Good one!

Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
18-06-2016, 12:03 PM
Quote: I'm willing to bet those of you that vote will vote for Hillary this year
IF you had bothered for a moment to look around first, you's see that politics are hotly debated here and not of one mind, in the least. You'd lose that bet, along with Pascal's wager.
To quote my favorite hypothetical country music title " how can I miss you if you won't go away",
Take your obtuse incoherent scatter brained passive aggressive condescending self and be gone.
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
18-06-2016, 12:13 PM
(18-06-2016 11:47 AM)Phu Cat Wrote:  Hawking's statement makes it clear that the "Big Bang" never could have possibly have happened no matter how much none believers want it to.

.... but... the Hawking quote paraphrase that was provided has Hawking talking about the Big Bang as if it DID happen.

I mean, I knew he was barely reading anything WE were writing, but I'm surprised to learn he was barely reading anything HE was writing either.

(Or she. Could be a she.)
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post