Christian with a question....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2016, 05:06 PM
RE: Christian with a question....
(23-06-2016 04:47 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(23-06-2016 01:31 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Pretty sure ole Blowjob would have a hard time getting from his desk to his car without a rest-bench and a cold bottled water.

Does working that cash register keep you it tip top shape?

I forgive you for insulting cashiers everywhere.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-06-2016, 05:07 PM
(22-06-2016 07:30 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(22-06-2016 05:53 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  Hey Jawbone, I don't know where the Phuc rat went, but he asked the original question, and doesn't choose to answer that question when asked of him, unless I missed his post. But could you explain how it is you can have respect for a Supreme Being who before having His Son butchered was so proud of all the killing that he had his favorite people do? I came back to see if he had ever deigned to answer when I noticed you wearing his same color uniform. Thanks B A P

I imagine it is the same reason that RS used to justify choosing eternal damnation.

They believe they have a duty.

But do you feel that a tyrannical God as He is described in the Bible is entitled to your respect, worship and Awe?
23-06-2016, 05:08 PM
(23-06-2016 04:56 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(23-06-2016 04:45 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Given a charitable interpretation of the OP, it is understood that a second chance around is physically less traumatic than an eternity in hell. So yes you can consider both options bad, but one is clearly worse than the other.

Just because in your estimation one option is worse doesn't make the being presenting the two options merciful or just. Considering he's in control of our souls and we only have the one choice he's proven himself to be a psychotic ego maniac who created us but also can't accept our flawed nature so feels the need to judge us? Once judged we can be spiritually leashed to him on bended knee or burn? I don't see how anyone wouldn't dismiss him entirely and I'd still rather embrace the "worse" option with my integrity in tact even if I burn for it.

Its not my estimation. People talk big but when the torture kicks in they cave and will say or do anything to stop it. People can't stand extreme pain. This observation allows me to correctly conclude that one choice is clearly better than the other.

I might be wrong in one assumption I make. I assume that IF given the choice an atheist will consider what is commonly know about human nature. Realize that he/she isn't special, and despite wanting to do what their emotions tell they want to do, they will, in the end, use the higher functioning parts on their brain and make the only ration decision.....which is to cave.

Am I wrong here?
23-06-2016, 05:13 PM
(21-06-2016 04:42 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I may be an idiot(I'm not)...

That's precisely what an idiot would say. Dodgy

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-06-2016, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2016 05:24 PM by SitaSky.)
(23-06-2016 05:08 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(23-06-2016 04:56 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  Just because in your estimation one option is worse doesn't make the being presenting the two options merciful or just. Considering he's in control of our souls and we only have the one choice he's proven himself to be a psychotic ego maniac who created us but also can't accept our flawed nature so feels the need to judge us? Once judged we can be spiritually leashed to him on bended knee or burn? I don't see how anyone wouldn't dismiss him entirely and I'd still rather embrace the "worse" option with my integrity in tact even if I burn for it.

Its not my estimation. People talk big but when the torture kicks in they cave and will say or do anything to stop it. People can't stand extreme pain. This observation allows me to correctly conclude that one choice is clearly better than the other.

I might be wrong in one assumption I make. I assume that IF given the choice an atheist will consider what is commonly know about human nature. Realize that he/she isn't special, and despite wanting to do what their emotions tell they want to do, they will, in the end, use the higher functioning parts on their brain and make the only ration decision.....which is to cave.

Am I wrong here?

Yes, you are wrong. It isn't the higher functioning parts of the brain that will stop someone from experiencing pain, it's actually one of the most basic human functions or any animal for that matter. If I put my hand on a hot stove top my hand will automatically pull away, it's a reflex. I don't have any control over that.

If someone said you would be tortured or a child will be tortured you'd probably take it on yourself right? That's because your emotional connection to this child and your empathy for another person's pain is strong than your resolve to protect yourself from pain. Even animals have been shown to display empathy in this way, starving so their child can eat for example.

It's our human capacity to reason and our values, morals and ethics that allows us to disregard our own comfort in the effort to do the right thing. The right thing isn't to dismiss everything you know to be true and right and good just so you can be rewarded for it, unless all you care about is not feeling pain, like any animal would.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
23-06-2016, 05:19 PM
(23-06-2016 05:08 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Its not my estimation. People talk big but when the torture kicks in they cave and will say or do anything to stop it. People can't stand extreme pain. This observation allows me to correctly conclude that one choice is clearly better than the other.

Am I wrong here?

If a god did exist, I would believe it. I'd have no reason not to. But which god? The gods of the Hellenes and Romans? The Scandinavian gods? The gods of the oldest culture on earth, the Australian Aborigines, who predate the bible by nearly 100 thousand years?

The bible god is a monster. Had you ever opened a book you would know. Not even Milton could forgive him in Paradise lost, where Satan became the hero and god the tyrant. And boy did Milton try. But that is yet another work you have never read. Right? Big Grin

Is it better to work for Ghengis Khan or be impaled by him? Obviously working for him is the better option. Of course he lived and that option did once exist.

The same cannot be said of any gods. So this "Thought experiment" is a waste of time.

And in case you did not watch the video I left for you, here are the lyrics.

You're fucking asshole
You're fucking asshole
You're fucking asshole
Asshole, you're asshole fucking scum

Your brainwashing machine seems so real
Now there's no one behind fucking wheel
I won't let you control anymore
Stuff your ass with your tie imbitsil neuter whore

You've got a problem
I am new critic
Fuck your polIce
Your back door analytics

Fuck your politics
And fuck you
Middle finger in the air
As I'm telling you:

You're fucking asshole
You're fucking asshole
You're fucking asshole

You are ruling with lies and deceit
Day by day building kingdom of greed
I will show you the end of your way
Time to pray motherfucker, it's time to pray

You've got a problem
I am new critic
Fuck your police
Your back door analytics

Fuck you politics
And fuck you
Middle finger in the air
As I'm telling you:

You're fucking asshole
You're fucking asshole
You're fucking asshole

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
23-06-2016, 05:22 PM
(23-06-2016 05:03 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Ha, Sita's current post count is 666. Big Grin

Oh dang I didn't even notice it and I missed it. Sadcryface2

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
23-06-2016, 05:24 PM
(23-06-2016 05:07 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(22-06-2016 07:30 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I imagine it is the same reason that RS used to justify choosing eternal damnation.

They believe they have a duty.

But do you feel that a tyrannical God as He is described in the Bible is entitled to your respect, worship and Awe?

I've never read the bible so I am not really equipped to answer that question.....but I will try anyways....by asking you some questions.

If God created you, why cannot God create you with obligations? For instance why can't God create you with an obligation to love and respect your fellow men? If God can create you with an obligation to love and respect your fellow men, why can't God create you with an obligation that you love and respect him?
23-06-2016, 05:26 PM
(23-06-2016 05:24 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I've never read the bible so I am not really equipped to answer that question.

You do realise you are amongst people who have? ConsiderFacepalm

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
23-06-2016, 05:28 PM
(23-06-2016 05:19 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  If someone said you would be tortured or a child will be tortured you'd probably take it on yourself right? That's because your emotional connection to this child and your empathy for another person's pain is strong than your resolve to protect yourself from pain. Even animals have been shown to display empathy in this way, starving so their child can eat for example.

In the example you give here, a decision to accept horrific torture effects a change. You are worse off, but someone is better off. In the OP, no such trade off occurs. You are worse off or you are better off. The only rational decision is to choose to make yourself better off.