Christian with a question....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2016, 08:45 PM
RE: Christian with a question....
(13-06-2016 08:08 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 08:03 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Counter question: If a human being acted in the way that God does in the Bible (Mass genocide, mass infanticide, torture, persecution for thought crime, demands for human sacrifice, the allowing of mass rape and slavery, the instigation of multiple aggressive and expansionist wars, the mass execution of dissidents, the specific and intentional targeting of civilian populations of no military value, so forth and so on) that human being would be declared a monster. Rightfully so I might add as, you may recognize, that almost all of the above actions are WAR CRIMES.
So the question is why do you, as a Christian, hold a god (who according to your scripture is the creator and basis for all morality) to a LOWER standard of morality than a fallible human being?

If ever there is a Judgement Day that is just and lawful it will be US judging HIM.

I feel your question, but in terms of rationality, there is no real choice here. It doesn't matter how evil the being may be in this hypothesis. He has the ability to damn you to eternal torture or not. No amount of personal higher morality trumps that.

That's what I'm saying.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2016, 09:28 PM
Laugh out load We're all talking to ourselves again, it's another drive by.

[Image: 56264439-a-cartoon-comic-book-sonic-boom....jpg?ver=6]

Rolleyes

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
13-06-2016, 09:28 PM
(13-06-2016 07:58 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Atheism banks on the belief that there is not and cannot be a God.

You must be new here. Your contention is false.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
13-06-2016, 09:32 PM
(13-06-2016 09:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 07:58 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Atheism banks on the belief that there is not and cannot be a God.

You must be new here. Your contention is false.

You know what I mean. God forbid I use absolutes every once in awhile.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
13-06-2016, 10:19 PM
(13-06-2016 09:32 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 09:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  You must be new here. Your contention is false.

You know what I mean. God forbid I use absolutes every once in awhile.

God clearly didn't forbid.

If anything I'd say he mandated it.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
13-06-2016, 10:22 PM
(13-06-2016 12:29 PM)Phu Cat Wrote:  So I guess I'm in hot water right off the bat, but here it goes anyway: Could you assume, just for the sake of this question, that there is a god? And you're standing before him on judgement day. God says: "You can go back to earth and live a natural born God-fearing life or be sent directly to hell, which would you choose? Please don't play the "that's never going to happen because there is no god" card just for the sake of this discussion.

Thanks for answering, I'd think this would be a really tough decision.

Phu Cat

To which god do you refer?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
13-06-2016, 10:42 PM
(13-06-2016 08:08 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I feel your question, but in terms of rationality, there is no real choice here. It doesn't matter how evil the being may be in this hypothesis. He has the ability to damn you to eternal torture or not. No amount of personal higher morality trumps that.

Might makes right, am I right? Just following orders.

Resistance might -- or might not be -- irrational, but rationality is not the only justification for human action. A theist of all people should understand this.

Dying to save my mother's life would have no rational value at all. I'm an adult who doesn't rely on her support, she is too old to bear children, and so on. Yet I would do it in a heartbeat, based on emotion, an irrational response ... and there's not a thing wrong with that.

Not all atheists define everything in terms of rationality.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
13-06-2016, 11:12 PM
How about this ?
Once you're dead, no imaginary being (god) has any dominion over any other imaginary beings (your soul).

The question assumes a master / slave power dynamic. Christians need a master / slave dynamic. They crave it, because deep down they know they can control the imaginary master and in their own minds, that puts them on top and in control.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
13-06-2016, 11:33 PM
(13-06-2016 07:40 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I can't believe the answers I'm seeing on this shit.

OK it's not real so you can say whatever

But if it were real and you were faced with this

It could be like I want you to spend the next billion years sucking Hitler's dick then another 5 billion licking out his ass crack and everyone on here would be like "Yes Sir!!!"

And damn would your jaw be tired.

Eternity in a fire pit, people. Eternity. Fire.

I'll agree that most sane people would let their ethics slide when faced with an eternity of torment. Funny how religion does that.

You're missing one of the important points though. Sure hell's an eternity of torment but what's heaven? We're talking about a deity who is clearly an incompetent sadist and those are just two of his more redeeming qualities. Given how utterly he's fucked up everything he's done it's good odds that heaven is actually worse than hell. You go through the Pearly Gates and find:

Eternity. Fire. Child Molesters. People Who Talk At The Theater.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
13-06-2016, 11:39 PM
(13-06-2016 08:08 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  He has the ability to damn you to eternal torture or not.

You worship this evil monster. I do hope you choose your friends more wisely.

(By the way, Phu Cat is like saying "fuck it")

Smells like troll to me.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 6 users Like Banjo's post