Christianese: a dictionary for the atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
23-07-2012, 11:46 PM
RE: Christianese: a dictionary for the atheist
(23-07-2012 07:30 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  Just a small list of words Christians use that we Atheists use
differently. Often in debates we'll hear something like inspired. We
think painter inspired to make a painting, where as the christian thinks
something different.

So for a bit of clarity I'll make a list of words with the religious definitions.

Amen: So be it.
Anointing - to be covered with, so smeared with a liquid
Blessing: receiving or giving god's goodness.
Discernment: Being directed by the Holy Spirit.
God's Will, God's Plan -
Inspired,inspiration -
Logic -

Persecution - basically any little thing that hurts their belief

Reason -
Sin - an act that violates god's will

WIP will add more.

- Soul

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes KVron's post
24-07-2012, 08:17 AM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2012 08:44 AM by fstratzero.)
Thank you guys for all the help! If you can think of any more words that atheists and theists use differently post em!

The reason why it's taking a while is that some of the words are like walking through a fog.

Like god's will. It's largely subjective, even if you pin it to following the scripture, that leaves scripture up to the person to interpret it.

So it'll take a while for me to look up the definition, talk to Christians, and get a real representation of the biblical words.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
24-07-2012, 11:11 AM
It would be fun to have a secular definition thread, of these words after we get a good translation list going here.

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
24-07-2012, 02:25 PM
(23-07-2012 07:30 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  Just a small list of words Christians use that we Atheists use
differently. Often in debates we'll hear something like inspired. We
think painter inspired to make a painting, where as the christian thinks
something different.

So for a bit of clarity I'll make a list of words with the religious definitions.

Amen - I agree with what you said.

Anointing - I'm special.

Blessing - some specialness dropped on you by someone who is more special than you are

Discernment - I see things chore clearly than you do

God's Will, God's Plan - What I believe, which coincides with what I want, at least most of the time.

Inspired,inspiration - What I am and you are not.

Logic - a shady method used by *them*

Morality - any behavior that coincides with what I believe.

Persecution - mistreatment of *my* group by other groups

Reason - another shady method used by *them*

Sin - a wrong thing that you do

Soul - what Aretha Franklin has, or so I'm told

Worship - what I do when I go to church and put money in the plate

WIP will add more.
My sources are ironchariots.org, wikipedia, carm and actual Christians.

Fixed those for you. No charge. Big Grin

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
24-07-2012, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 26-07-2012 06:23 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(23-07-2012 01:13 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(23-07-2012 12:57 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Not to mention "Brother" as a title ie like "Mr."

Pastors are known as "Brother _______". I would be known as "Brother Jeremy".

Nuns and monks are also brothers and sisters, and priests are fathers.

And a bishop, who has no children, can say to a Father, "now now, my son".
And actually the son, might say to his father, "now now, my son"
And a nun without children, can be called Mother.
But a bishop, who is not a real son, can say, "now now", to a mother,
A brother is also a father, and even a possible bishop.
But a mother who has no children, can say "now now, my daughter".
But the daughter can say "now now" to her son , the bishop.
God also has a daughter, (the church), but she doesn't count, as he has only one son.
(There must be a formula for the number of possible permutations of these relationships). Possibly a new field in Math, Ecclesiastical Permutations.

Then ya got yer angels. Ya gatta know yer angels, and especially where their night spots/discos are, and where they dance. Angels like to dance. They dance on pins. The heads of pins to be exact. Angels, which do not reproduce, are, nonetheless, he angels and she angels. Angels come in orders. There are 3 orders of angels. The orders each have 3 sub groups.
(Aren't ya glad they had time to figgure all this out for us)
1. Ya got yer plain ole angel. You don't know it, but you have one of these assigned to you, your guardian angel.
2. Then ya got yer arch angel. Archangels are in charge of electric arcs, arcs in general, (like the one Noah made) and hang around architectural arches, in gated communities. The most famous one of these guys is Michael. He lives in France on that mountain. He's into swords, fencing, and sword play. Another one from the news was Gabriel. Gabriel flys in wondows, and tells virgins they are preggers, cuz he like to scare the shit out of young girls.
3. Then ya got yer Pricipalities. Principalities are angels which sing "Little Red Corvette" to god, and change once in a while, to be called "the artists", and are pals of Prince, in general.
4. Dominations are next. These are kinky angels which, ..... well, we know what they do.
5. Then ya got yer Virtues. This group of angels hand out powers, cuz, well, somebody has to hand out something.
6. Powers. The powers come next. This group of angels live in electric lines, and are really really skiiny, so they can get through, of course.
7. Next are the Thrones. These angles were made by high school wood shop students, and are angels you sit on, and look, like, really bored, but just be happy you got a seat.
8. Cherubims are next to the top. They wish they were at the top, and people always think they are lower than the Thrones, because they are often confused with the Chair-ubim, but you really cannot sit on these angels.
9. And last, on top, ya got yer Seraphim. These, of course are all men, and like to be on top, and they also like to start fires, so they are the arsonist angels. Since they are so close to the throne of the god, the sheriff can't arrest them. They are also generally in charge of ozone depleting hair care products.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
25-07-2012, 10:22 PM
(24-07-2012 02:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(23-07-2012 01:13 PM)Dom Wrote:  Nuns and monks are also brothers and sisters, and priests are fathers.

And a bishop, who has no children, can say to a Father, "now now, my son".
And actually the son, might say to his father, "now now, my son"
And a nun without children, can be called Mother.
But a bishop, who is not a real son, can say, "now now", to a mother,
A brother is also a father, and even a possible bishop.
But a mother who has no children, can say "now now, my daughter".
But the daughter can say "now now" to her son , the bishop.
God also has a daughter, (the church), but she doesn't count, as he has only one son.
(There must be a formula for the number of possible permutations of these relationships). Possibly a new field in Math, Ecclesiastical Permutations.

Then ya got yer angels. Ya gatta know yer angels, and especially where their night spots are, and where they dance. Angels like to dance. They dance on pins. The heads of pins to be exact. Angels, which do not reproduce, are, nonetheless, he angels and she angels. Angels come in orders. There are 3 orders of angels. The orders each have 3 sub groups.
(Aren't ya glad they had time to figgure all this out for us)
1. Ya got yer plain old angel. You don't know it, but you have one of these assigned to you, your guardian angel.
2. Then ya got yer arch angel. Archangels are in charge of electric arcs, arcs in general, (like the one Noah made) and hang around architectural arches.
3. Then ya got yer Pricipalities. Principalities are angels which sing "Little Red Corvette" to god, and change once in a while, to be called "the artist".
4. Dominations are next. These are kinky angels which, ..... well, we know what they do.
5. Then ya got yer Virtues. This group of angels hand out powers, cuz, well, somebody has to hand out something.
6. Powers. The powers come next. This group of angels live in electric lines, and are really really skiiny, so they can get through, of course.
7. Next are the Thrones. These angles were made by high school wood shop students, and are angels you sit on, and look, like, really bored, but just be happy you got a seat.
8. Cherubims are next to the top. They wish they were at the top, and people always think they are lower than the Thrones, because they are often confused with the Chair-ubim, but you really cannot sit on these angels.
9. And last, on top, ya got yer Seraphim. These, of course are all men, and like to be on top, and they also like to start fires, so they are the arsonist angels. Since they are so close to the throne of the god, the sheriff can't arrest them.

ROTFLMAO !Laughat
Were we bored yesterday ?

The angry gods require sacrifice. Now get outside and slay them a goat. Cadet in Terse But Deadly
[+] 1 user Likes San Onofre Surfer's post
26-07-2012, 02:45 PM
(23-07-2012 11:32 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Anointing means someone has been chosen by god to do some sort of mission. The Blues Brothers were anointed because they were on "a mission from god."
Messiah means Anointed One, so when people made up the story about Jebus, they called him a messiah which meant he had come on behalf of god. His "anointing" was symbolized with the woman (who maybe was Mary Magdalene) dumped a bottle of fragrant oil on his feet. The Old Testament talks about anointing being done by pouring olive oil over someone's head. The oil flowing down one's face symbolized the spirit of god coming into this person to do god's work.

Well, that certainly makes as much sense as the rest of the stuff.No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-07-2012, 06:02 PM
The thing I find interesting is that god has never revealed anything useful other than be good in general and being bad is of the devil. Giving an infinite reward or punishment, when you die.

So everything you do only matters after you are dead. Pfft.

-Baron d'Holbach-
27-07-2012, 01:37 AM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2012 01:43 AM by Mia.)
"I'll pray for you"- could range anywhere from "I really hope you will change your mind and agree with me" to "fuck you". In the non-hostile sense, could refer to inactive contribution

"Leave it in Gods hands"- don't expect any further help from me (See "I'll pray for you")

"Bless his/her heart"- passive aggressive fake apology generally stated after blatantly insulting said person

"Repentance"- feeling one is absolved by apologizing to god

"End Times"- a belief that the "end of the world" referenced in Revelations is unfolding in said persons time

"The Rapture"- the pretribulationist belief that True Christians will be literally brought into Heaven before the Tribulation begins

"The Tribulation/The Great Tribulation"- the time, post Rapture, that takes place before the return of Jesus Christ and eventual destruction of the world, Satan and his minions. Most Evangelical Christians believe, during this time, the remaining people on earth (aka non True Christians) will suffer, many also believe the world will turn super evil during this period

"True Christians/True Believers"- a group label Christians often use to categorize people who happen to agree with how they interpret the Bible/Christianity

"it is a principle innate and co-natural to every man to have an insatiable inclination to the truth, and to seek for it as for hid treasure..."
-Thomas Aikenhead
[+] 2 users Like Mia's post
28-07-2012, 11:12 AM
(23-07-2012 11:32 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Anointing means someone has been chosen by god to do some sort of mission. The Blues Brothers were anointed because they were on "a mission from god."
Messiah means Anointed One, so when people made up the story about Jebus, they called him a messiah which meant he had come on behalf of god. His "anointing" was symbolized with the woman (who maybe was Mary Magdalene) dumped a bottle of fragrant oil on his feet. The Old Testament talks about anointing being done by pouring olive oil over someone's head. The oil flowing down one's face symbolized the spirit of god coming into this person to do god's work.
The idea of anointing one for battle was to cover the soldier, knight, combatant with god. They would be divinely protected in battle. This notion is absurd when both sides are anointed.

Of course this later became a symbolic way of having god on your side when ever you go on a mission, quest, journey etc.

-Baron d'Holbach-