Christianese: a dictionary for the atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
28-07-2012, 11:38 AM
RE: Christianese: a dictionary for the atheist
(23-07-2012 12:34 PM)Dom Wrote:  There is an ad running on TV here that says:

"You have been anointed by god and he wants you to be rich."

Then it goes on about how he wants you to be wealthy etc etc.

That's what got me wondering about the anointing.

That's the prosperity gospel.

Something atheists and theists should be angry about. They basically ask for money, claiming that by giving the money to them they'll get more back through god.

They call it planting a seed. I call it abusing a persons belief system.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
28-07-2012, 10:30 PM
(23-07-2012 11:32 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Anointing means someone has been chosen by god to do some sort of mission. The Blues Brothers were anointed because they were on "a mission from god."
Messiah means Anointed One, so when people made up the story about Jebus, they called him a messiah which meant he had come on behalf of god. His "anointing" was symbolized with the woman (who maybe was Mary Magdalene) dumped a bottle of fragrant oil on his feet. The Old Testament talks about anointing being done by pouring olive oil over someone's head. The oil flowing down one's face symbolized the spirit of god coming into this person to do god's work.

Sorry I'm late to the game on this thread, this just caught my eye... sorry if anyone's mentioned it already...

Interesting about oil... the ancient Egyptians would have oil poured over them and then scrape it off along with the dirt and dead skin - this was a pre-bathing event. After the bath, one was again doused with another batch of fragrant oils -one for the body, another for the hair, another for the hands, etc.,. Usually only a king was provided with the most fragrant oils and the most precious ones... the greatest respect was shown with a special oil for his feet.

If you want someone to believe something new, make sure they connect this "new" idea with something they already do, or give it attributes they are consistently made aware of. Details, baby, details. Wink

I Heart the ancient Egyptians. Blush

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
29-07-2012, 06:18 AM
I can't remember many of them any more, much less what their 'specialty' was...but don't forget the saints and the Blessed Virgin. Catholics are big on both.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
29-07-2012, 07:15 AM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2012 07:20 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(29-07-2012 06:18 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I can't remember many of them any more, much less what their 'specialty' was...but don't forget the saints and the Blessed Virgin. Catholics are big on both.

You might like to review yer saints.
St. Francis, a sissy, St. Coochie Galore, patron of sacred sluts, and many others.
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/1076d01...out-saints

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
04-08-2012, 06:47 AM
Infinity Proves that god's three big O's cannot contradict themselves.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 3 users Like fstratzero's post