Christianity Is Un-American

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2014, 06:45 AM
Christianity Is Un-American
A few days ago in the Deep Shower Thoughts thread (which is hard to say out loud even when you're not pissed (UK version of pissed)), apart from scientifically proving that religion is a bit like an addiction, I was challenged to write a thesis on why christianity is unmurikan.

I started putting together one of my infamous long-winded posts about the earlier power struggles where on the main square of Verona (or some other Italian city (I forget)), three sides of the square represented the dominated forces of the time:
The Dukes (monarchy)
The Church (theocracy)
The Merchants (corporatocracy)

I was then going to lead into the idea that church and state have always been antagonistic towards each other but this line of thinking got me nowhere because, as we know, at the individual level, it is possible to serve two (or more) masters. Or mistresses, for some of us, perhaps.
"Give unto Caesar etc..."

But then there is the mind-slave stuff... blind following etc. as opposed to the innovation and creativity and individual freedom that is associated with the US.

And then, well, then I got a bit busy with real life so I thunked, instead, let's keep it at the personal level and you can add your own narrative.

Let's compare the embodiment of christianity with the embodiment of the Murikan dream:

Freedom
Individualism
Hard work, investment and achieving goals
True grit and the Second Amendment's advocacy of wearing sleeveless shirts.
[Image: John%2BWayne.gif]
vs.

The heedless, good fer nuttin', lilies of the field
Eschewing earthly treasures
The way, the Truth (upper case T, obviously) and the light
[Image: gautama-buddha-1.jpg]

These two could not be more antithetical.

Conclusion: Christianity Is Un-American.

Discuss.

Notice the contradictions in this speech between the ra-ra-murika stuff ("freedom, opportunity... potential" and investing in the future) vs. the commie 'no thought for the morrow' Jesus.

Can anyone explain please how the christian mind can reconcile the two?

Cheers

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
31-01-2014, 06:59 AM
RE: Christianity Is Un-American
I'm going to reserve my opinion for now and see how this thread goes down.

Tho the video of the congress women was to say the least, insulting. I couldnt watch more than 2 1/2 minutes of her voice, it was like she was talking to a room full of children. Understandable for a republican.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
31-01-2014, 07:12 AM
I was wondering the same thing funnily enough when I saw a post by anidominus on page 6 of 'Did Mom Make a Sound Argument???' (pasted below)

(30-01-2014 07:33 PM)anidominus Wrote:  This is why Christians don't have to stone adulterous to death or kill murderers because Jesus has already died for people who do that. This does not mean as a community we can't put people to death or lock them up. But it is no longer a requirement by God.

My thoughts on reading this was that it is ironic that it is the most religious states in America (and most religious countries around the world) that still use Capital punishment.

I don't know if this is a common belief amongst Christians, but does this mean that American states that have the death penalty are less Christian and more Judaistic?
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
31-01-2014, 07:13 AM
Too early in the day to contaminate my brain with that video - but I agree with what you wrote.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
31-01-2014, 07:21 AM
What a lame shit bitch. I am ashamed she comes from my mothers home state of Washington. Platitudes of the worst order in a whinny bitchy voice. I am ashamed that I lost all the brain cells I did listening to her.

She is also considered a rising star in the republican party. And, from the video quite the christian. Not sure what point the OP is trying to make other than amusement.
[+] 1 user Likes JAH's post
31-01-2014, 07:22 AM
No religion is "American".

Maybe mormonism is of "American origin", but fundermentaly the US is a secular republic - which means that no religion can be defined as american or "unamerican".

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
31-01-2014, 07:47 AM
(31-01-2014 07:22 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  No religion is "American".

Maybe mormonism is of "American origin", but fundermentaly the US is a secular republic - which means that no religion can be defined as american or "unamerican".

That's not what I got from the Republican message.

I'm not talking abut reality and facts here, Germans, I'm asking about how this melding of extremes gets rationalised in the Murikan-christian brain.

Mathilda,
Good point, worth pondering. How would the christy/Judaic scale be measured / assessed?

Jah and War Horse,
I used to have the same trouble with Thatcher... her voice made it impossible for me to listen to what she was saying.

What do you think about the wider question (I'm sure that not all christians are Publicans)?

31-01-2014, 08:14 AM
Christianity is so mutable (as are all religions) as to mean anything anyone wants it too.

The OP is correct that selective choosing of certain elements of the new testament could lead one to conclude that christianity is unamerican (or unmurican if you prefer). This is however an atheist take. Christians find the bible and its teachings so mutable as to prove anything they want. Much like many americans find its precepts so mutable as to make what they wish either american or unamerican.

A bigger question is how did that dumb whinny bitch get elected to anything above dog catcher. You will note among other things that her speech was obviously not a response to the state of the union speech but was prepared prior to the state of the union speech. It made no attempt to respond to specific elements of the state of the union speech, it contained only stupid platitudes. A rising star indeed in the republican party.
[+] 1 user Likes JAH's post
31-01-2014, 08:42 AM
*Disclaimer: I didn't watch the video yet, but am responding to what you wrote*

If you're asking how Republicans reconcile their political views with their religious views, it's complicated. The Republican party is big and complex, and it encompasses a lot of different views into a single political ideology. You have obscenely wealthy people, rich business owners, small business owners, old people, a lot of Libertarians, old-school southern racists, and the religious right. About all that they have in common is a dislike for liberal ideology. Note how a Libertarian might not feel that the government should weigh in on gay marriage and a religious person might feel the exact opposite. They put that aside to advance the party.

Now, also note how there are people that create some very odd historical revisionism to reconcile this. There are actual Christians out there who believe in the Prosperity Gospel, which... makes Jesus a free market capitalist? There are people who feel that the Republican party was always the pro-civil rights party, despite the south switching parties inside of a decade because of the Democrat's embrace of civil rights.

TL;DR version: The party has to embrace different, competing ideologies, and cognitive dissonance does crazy things to people.
31-01-2014, 09:03 AM
(31-01-2014 08:42 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  *Disclaimer: I didn't watch the video yet, but am responding to what you wrote*

If you're asking how Republicans reconcile their political views with their religious views,

Nope. Not asking that.

But I think you answered the question anyway.

So what I've got so far is...

P1. christianty is mutable
P2. Murikanality is mutable

C. christianty = Murikanality

So, to demonstrate that Christianity Is Un-American we need first to demutablise both christianty AND Murikanality.

This might be trickier than I thought.

Consider