Christianity Is Un-American

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2014, 11:17 AM
RE: Christianity Is Un-American
(31-01-2014 09:49 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(31-01-2014 09:27 AM)War Horse Wrote:  In the past I've been pretty much A-political and center of the spectrum, when it comes to sides.

However as of the past Bush adminitsration, which turned America as a laughing stock, and now with the Tea party fools trying to keep the masses broke and dumb, and not to mention that the repub's are out only for big money/business, I've wandered our towards the left more.

Part of the American culture of feeling suprior to the rest of the world has long been a source of pride in many growing up here. The we're #1, the pledge to the flag in school every morning, the god bless our troops and country, etc.

What gets me is the barely making it money wise rednecks that love this party to death, although most are on SS,SSD, or some other government aid and screaming to get government out of our lives.

I call them the "second amendment" crowd.... the only one that counts (to the repub's).

Tho, dont get me wrong, I agree with patriotism and owning firearms, but theres much more to the greater picture of living in a free, prosperous, healthy country.

I really do love my adopted country and still think it's one of the better place in the world to live. However if this government (which I dont trust) burned down to the ground, I would rejoice in starting over as the original founders had intended.

I'm sure to add a bit to this later, after I get some lunch and a few beers. Exclamation

Your statement got me thinking of this

That opening scene of The Newsroom is tremendous - I can watch that 20 times a day. Anyway, as for the christian/American point of view, I can't even get the christians I know to stop insisting this nation was built on their religion. To pitch the christianity is not even american idea may blow their minds, and produce stares back at me like I am the devil incarnate.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
31-01-2014, 11:19 AM
(31-01-2014 10:59 AM)War Horse Wrote:  ...
First off, is "demutablise" a real word ? Not trying to correct, but I'm just a dumb biker, so I'm asking.

It is now. For 3 reasons.
1. I'm not a biker (dumb or otherwise) but I am a direct descendant from William Shakespeare and Dylan Thomas who y'know... just made shit up. Tongue
2. As a Brit, I firmly believe that English is my language so I can arrogantly do what I like with it.
3. It messes with the forum's Grammar Nazis' heads.

Quote:...
I feel I'm near an epiphany here , but cant put my finger on it yet.

I feel you are too.

It's like we're on the verge of a meme (maybe).

I also feel a little guilty now because I think you might have this question nagging at you for a few days as it has done at me since the original deep-shower-thought.

The best I came up with was John Wayne ain't Jesus and Jesus ain't John Wayne.

But I think TTA's collective consciousness can do better than that.

31-01-2014, 11:23 AM
Wait.... I think I got it !

OK, so America is suppose to be a melting pot of all peoples from around the world comming together as a nation, as per the statue of liberty.

So, seeing that christianty is only one religious aspect of all people of the world, and other religions exist, not represented as a national symbols, and thus not be true complete represention of "America"

Therefore un-American.

How'd I do teach ? Smartass
31-01-2014, 11:23 AM
(31-01-2014 11:17 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  ...
To pitch the christianity is not even american idea may blow their minds, and produce stares back at me like I am the devil incarnate.

idea or ideal?

Yup, that's what I'm after... blown minds!

Thumbsup

31-01-2014, 11:25 AM
Re: Christianity Is Un-American
Practically nothing in America is American it was all taken and awfully,manipulated.

The most American thing there is, is raping indigenous Americans with smallpox

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
31-01-2014, 11:29 AM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2014 11:47 AM by DLJ.)
(31-01-2014 11:23 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Wait.... I think I got it !

OK, so America is supposed to be a melting pot of all peoples from around the world coming together as a nation, as per the statue of liberty.

So, seeing that christianty is only one religious aspect of all people of the world, and other religions exist, not represented as a national symbols, and thus not be true complete represention of "America"

Therefore un-American.

How'd I do teach ? Smartass

Soooo...

Cross-border affiliation vs. in-border affiliation?

You could be onto something.

That Publican lady in her speech used quite careful language regarding immigration (Obama seemed less ambiguous in the SotN speech).
And I don't think she mentioned Jesus (just an unnamed god)... I'll go back and check... but that does exclude all the multi-deity sects.

Consider

EDIT: I counted:
1 x prayer
1 x barble
4 x god

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
31-01-2014, 11:30 AM
(31-01-2014 11:25 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Practically nothing in America is American it was all taken and awfully,manipulated.

The most American thing there is, is raping indigenous Americans with smallpox

Hmmmm. So dictate that bumper sticker to me wouldya?

Dodgy

31-01-2014, 11:30 AM
(31-01-2014 06:59 AM)War Horse Wrote:  I'm going to reserve my opinion for now and see how this thread goes down.

Tho the video of the congress women was to say the least, insulting. I couldnt watch more than 2 1/2 minutes of her voice, it was like she was talking to a room full of children. Understandable for a republican.

Oh my......Oh MY!

I only made it to the 2:28 mark myself!

That and she said "Warshington). That is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
31-01-2014, 03:50 PM
How's this for a meme ... ?

Christianity ideals run counter to the American dream.

The American dream is that everyone has potential to make lots of money. The American dream is inherently capitalistic.

Making lots of money in a capitalistic society means that you earn more than most other people. Achieving this requires you to have other people work to make you money.

Jesus embraced humility and washed the feet of his disciples, an act of the lowliest servant. He did not seek to have the disciples wash his feet.

“Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

Matthew 19:23-24 New International Version (NIV)
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
31-01-2014, 09:32 PM
(31-01-2014 03:50 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  How's this for a meme ... ?

Christianity ideals run counter to the American dream.

The American dream is that everyone has potential to make lots of money. The American dream is inherently capitalistic.

Making lots of money in a capitalistic society means that you earn more than most other people. Achieving this requires you to have other people work to make you money.

Jesus embraced humility and washed the feet of his disciples, an act of the lowliest servant. He did not seek to have the disciples wash his feet.

“Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

Matthew 19:23-24 New International Version (NIV)

Yup. That's the kinda thing.

Capitalism = investing in tomorrow
Jesus = Anti-earthly treasure

[Image: universal-health-care]

sorry... my techie skills are showing... dunno how to make this visible