Christianity: Religion vs. Philosophy? Help needed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Christianity: Religion vs. Philosophy? Help needed
I got into a debate with a devoutly religious person over the discussion point of Christianity being a philosophy and not a religion. It came from Bill O'Reilly's comments of the same.

I took the benign argument that Christianity is more a philosophy vs. a religion because of the many branches of it that make it up constitute the actual religion. He said that accepting Jesus as your savior and Bible as the word of God constitutes ALL Christianity. I contended that Orthodox Christians place less emphasis on personal relationship with God and Jesus and rely on church doctrine, so therefore doesnt' fit the mold of Christianity in his definition.

Thoughts?

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2013, 12:00 PM
RE: Christianity: Religion vs. Philosophy? Help needed
If you are religious yourself, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but arguing with some Christians, or even attempting to explain something sans debate, is like beating your head against a wall; it's just going to hurt Wink

Find all posts by this user
03-04-2013, 12:04 PM
I do not believe in God. He was simply saying that Bill O'Reilly is wrong.

I wasn't debating him, I was simply discussing. He took it as an afront to not believe his beliefs though I took no side in the matter i was simply looking at it as a discussion. I took no sides.

It was a week ago, and he's still steamed about it. I noticed that pointing out things they are right in front of them anger them. Like that the Gospels have Jesus's final words as different in the 4 gospels. But if you point that out, you are attacking.

(03-04-2013 12:00 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  If you are religious yourself, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but arguing with some Christians, or even attempting to explain something sans debate, is like beating your head against a wall; it's just going to hurt Wink

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
03-04-2013, 12:51 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 06:47 PM by Doctor X.)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
03-04-2013, 01:23 PM
I was once told simple belief is all that is needed to become religious.

There is no way to debate or to discuss with this simple belief thing.

If not, browse a few articles in Atheism and Theism section, and you will find enough ammunition.

Want something? Then do something.
03-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Yabut... If you're Christian... then... then...

YOUR MAMMA! Now what, mofo?!?!

you gots nothing 'cause NOTHING IS YER GOD!?M!M?

Win.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
03-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Re: Christianity: Religion vs. Philosophy? Help needed
Thoughts? You no longer look,like the face of boe... Chaos!

The only way I see christianity as philosophy is if you Jefferson it up. If you take the lifestyle ideas of Jesus/Christ as a model of living.

Once you accept Jesus is God, son of God, or saves you sending you to the house of God. It steps outside the concept of philosophy; that brings the belief into religion.
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
03-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Well, Boe, I think some Christians realize how shoddy their own logic is on their own beliefs, but they still WANT (sometimes desperately) those beliefs. So anything at all, even slightly, smacking of the "blasphemous", no matter how slight you try to sound, will send them into a fit. The "fit" being an involuntary/unconscious (or even sometimes fully conscious) act of defense against their faith. Regardless if they're blissfully ignorant, or just refuse to accept this life as the only one you get, they'll FIGHT for it. Sadly, sometimes worse things for it!!!
It sucks, but I'm never going to argue religion with any of my family. If its someone you care about, and their god delusion has never caused them to do harm to anyone, I'd suggest just letting it pass.No

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
03-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Religion- a set of beliefs instilled upon you by the rhetoric of a religious institutions or individuals that use their sacred text as the basis

Philosophy- an opinion you form based upon information that may either be reliable or not. Usually based in some semblance of logic. IE: the writings of Confucius.

There is clearly a distinction between the two... and Christianity is clearly the former.

Obama promised you change. Reach in your pocket, feel those coins? There's your change...
03-04-2013, 05:56 PM
I wuz drunk earlier... Angel

It's not. Theology is.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]