Christianity > Science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2016, 07:35 PM
Christianity > Science
This is floating around social media right now. I'm way to lazy to destroy it, but I know there are people with too much time on their hands more passion than me on the forum. Go-go gadget atheists!

[Image: e770a08e75c7a8ce40f9c8df8d0e9951.jpg]

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
10-03-2016, 07:40 PM
RE: Christianity > Science
(10-03-2016 07:35 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  This is floating around social media right now. I'm way to lazy to destroy it, but I know there are people with too much time on their hands more passion than me on the forum. Go-go gadget atheists!

Science then: Earth sat on a large animal.

W
T
F

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
10-03-2016, 07:50 PM
(10-03-2016 07:40 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(10-03-2016 07:35 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  This is floating around social media right now. I'm way to lazy to destroy it, but I know there are people with too much time on their hands more passion than me on the forum. Go-go gadget atheists!

Science then: Earth sat on a large animal.

W
T
F

I don't make this shit up, I just do recon and report the opposition's activities.

[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
10-03-2016, 08:41 PM
Here is what the verses actually say:

Quote:ISAIAH 40:22
It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

JEREMIAH 33:22
As the host of heaven cannot be numbered, neither the sand of the sea measured: so will I multiply the seed of David my servant, and the Levites that minister unto me.

JOB 28:25
To make the weight for the winds; and he weigheth the waters by measure

1 CORINTHIANS 15:41
There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.

JOB 38:19
Where is the way where light dwelleth? and as for darkness, where is the place thereof,

JOB 38:20
That thou shouldest take it to the bound thereof, and that thou shouldest know the paths to the house thereof?

JOB 26:7
He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.

ECCLEISATES 1:6
The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits.

2 SAMUEL 22:16
And the channels of the sea appeared, the foundations of the world were discovered at the rebuking of the LORD, at the blast of the breath of his nostrils.

JONAH 2:5
The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head.

JONAH 2:6
I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God.

LEVITICUS 17:11
For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

HEBREWS 11:3
Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

JOB 38:16
Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? or hast thou walked in the search of the depth?

Couldn't do the science quotes, cause, no citations.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
10-03-2016, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 08:49 PM by SitaSky.)
That list is pretty funny,not only are they not including the exact passages which can be interpreted to mean different things and only shows how ignorant the writers of the Bible were but they don't even date the "Science Then" column. I mean can we really say scientists said the Earth was suspended on the back of an animal or a man (Atlas)? Of course not, it was most likely another religious belief with no evidence to back it up.
I'll break down the texts:

He's the one who sits above the disk of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers. He's the one who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them like a tent to live in
Yup, it either says "disk" or "circle", nothing about a sphere, it also says our atmosphere is a "tent", lol.

As the heavenly bodies cannot be counted, and the sands of the sea cannot be measured, so I'll multiply the descendants of my servant David and the descendants of Levi who serve me.
There is a finite number of stars, there are "billions and billions" as Carl Sagan famously said, maybe one day we'll count them all. The figure of 1100 came for Ptolemy who believed the universe was made up of spheres so that number isn't for the entire universe.

He imparted weight to the wind; he regulated water by his measurement.
Talking about the force of the wind, not air.

There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star different from another star in glory.
It only mentions the Sun being different which is true, it's the closest to our planet and we revolve around it, anyone can look up and see that it's pretty different,thanks eyesight!

19 “Where is the way to the dwelling of light?
And darkness, where is its place,
20 That you may take it to its territory
And that you may discern the paths to its home?

Not sure when any scientist said "light" is fixed, what light? Sunlight? Pretty sure we can all see it "moves" but this verse seems to be metaphorical, like the "lightness" of being a good person and being led to the light as in being led to goodness.

He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing
Yeah, pretty sure we are being held in in place by gravitational orbit, which isn't "nothing".

The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits
This doesn't explain wind currents very well, the Earth has 6 major wind belts that blow in all different directions, not just north and south.

The currents of the sea were revealed and the foundations of the world were exposed at the rebuke of the LORD and at the blazing breath from his nostrils!
I sank to the roots of the mountains; the earth's prison bars closed around me forever. Yet you resurrect the dead from the Pit, LORD my God!

I read a few different versions and nothing says anything about the ocean having valleys and mountains, the second one doesn't even mention the oceans or seas. Also, God can breathe fire from his nostrils, he's a dragon?!

For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.
Yeah we all know how much Christians love their blood sacrifices, apparently blood is magic but we all know that blood is pretty important to health and life but even old timey doctors didn't bleed people out all the way to make them healthy, just a little bit. This verse is basically God saying "I love blood! Give me more!"

Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
This verse is about the "word" of God, not the creation of God, basically God is immaterial and can't be seen, nothing about atoms.

Have you traveled to the sources of the sea or walked in the depths of the oceans?
So some translations say "springs of the sea" but it means the sources like rivers , there is nothing about springs "inside" the seas or oceans.

So there ya go, I didn't want to go into too much detail about the old science since yeah we humans used to be pretty dumb. I mean have you read the Bible? it says bats are birds and witches are real. We should focus on what science has to teach us now and how the Bible is like "Huh? Evolution? Nope, never heard of it."

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like SitaSky's post
10-03-2016, 08:44 PM
I just checked the site: They're Jehovah Witnesses. FFS.

ETA: Beat you by 2 minutes! Tongue

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
10-03-2016, 08:46 PM
This has been circulating on social media for a while. Here you go:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Science_Confirms_the_Bible

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like WillHopp's post
10-03-2016, 08:47 PM
(10-03-2016 08:46 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  This has been circulating on social media for a while. Here you go:

Well this is useful, thanks! Smile

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
10-03-2016, 08:52 PM
(10-03-2016 08:47 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(10-03-2016 08:46 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  This has been circulating on social media for a while. Here you go:

Well this is useful, thanks! Smile

That's what I'm here for, to be useful.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
10-03-2016, 08:54 PM
So in the entire silly book, if you cherry-pick the fiarytales, liberally misinterpret the passages and distort the science then you get a few hits. Wow. I'm underwhelmed.

Let me try!

The Bibble: The Earth has corners! (Isaiah 41:9, Revelations 7:1 and 20:8) And edges! (Job 38:13)
Science then: Erm.. Actually it's a sphere. (Pythagoras, 6th century BC and references therein)
Science now: OK, an oblate spheroid. Still damned few corners or edges.

The Bibble is wrong! And it has contradicted itself! Oh noes!

It's also hilarious that they'd quote any part of Jonah as science since the entire thing is being recounted from within some giant whale-fish beastie. Seems they couldn't tell the difference.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post