Christianity - The Sociopathic Cult

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2013, 06:10 AM
Christianity - The Sociopathic Cult
Richard Dawkins calls it a delusion. Darrel Ray describes it
as a virus. Adding my two cents to the discussion, I regard it as a sociopathic
cult. Everything you read in this book will support my premise if you keep a
few facts in mind regarding the sociopathic/cultish behavior.

When I use the term 'sociopath', I am not implying anything
criminal regarding the people still mired in their cult although some of them
are or have been criminals who have committed many offenses. I'm merely
positing that they all have a sociopathic nature because they've been taught,
right from the bible, to be sociopaths. Hating your family, yourself (sins), or
the world are a few of the many biblical teachings they've been subjected to
which point to an alienation from society by these people.

Some of the many characteristics of a sociopath are:

Pathological Lying

It's almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis.

Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt

A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does
not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities
(for salvation?). The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand
in their way.

Shallow Emotions

When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more
feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive (get someone 'saved').
Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would
upset a normal person such as the death of a loved one or some other tragedy
which they simply shrug off as being in a god' will.

And the most important trait of all which is the purpose of
this book:

Callousness/Lack of Empathy

Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for
others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them. I can't
count the times I've seen this behavior exhibited by the cultists. Sharing the
'good news' with someone on her deathbed instead of simply holding her hand and
comforting the person is one such example out of many.

The stories in this book will, hopefully, show these
characteristics at work in the bible thumping fundamentalist who is completely
mired in a cult but is completely unaware of his situation. The various stories
are taken from actual conversations I've had with the believers and numerous
teachings their clergy have concocted which reinforce the sociopathic cult like
behavior among the flock.

This brings me to the second characteristic I mentioned -
the cult. I don't think I have to go into great detail in describing what a
cult it since most of you are probably aware of many of its traits. In fact,
many non cultists such as those who are members of Ex-Christian.Net have begun
referring to Christianity and its members as a cult just like any other one we
see today.

Following a person, without question is one of the primary
traits of a cult. It is sometimes called the 'cult of personality' and can have
disastrous consequences. I don't have to remind you of Jim Jones or David
Koresh or any of the fanatical religious leaders throughout history who have
wrecked peoples' lives. I consider Christianity, particularly the American
version of it as being the cult of Paul. The one time Pharisee actually started
the movement which millions now follow. They have no idea of the manipulative
and persuasive teachings Paul concocted in order to wrest the faith away from
the original followers and recreate it into what he regarded as the proper
religion for believers.

Another characteristic of a cult, which goes hand in hand
with the first one cited, is the blind
obedience to rules, regulations, and doctrines. In this case I'm referring, of
course, to their bible which they follow as though it's some kind of godlike
sacred magic which has an answer for everything we face in life which of course
it doesn't.

This book is not meant to be exhaustive in its content
regarding the sociopathic cult they call Christianity. It is simply my own
experience of over 25 years with them - first as one of them and then later, an
outsider merely observing their strange teachings and behavior. When I refer to
a god it will always be lower case, not out of any disrespect but simply
because the god they've created comes right out of their 'good' book, the
bible. In other words, out of thin air and nothing more. In fact we can simply
call it the bible god because that's exactly what it is - an idea or concept
that was developed over thousands of years through various writings by ancient,
primitive man.

"that which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" Christopher Hitchens
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like raoul116's post
07-04-2013, 10:33 PM
RE: Christianity - The Sociopathic Cult
There is no doubt that religion is both infectious and fundamentally evil. I have noticed, as many other atheists have, that many attempts have been made to classify just exactly what religion is. Is it a virus, a delusion, both? We do not know. This seems very strange to me, since it is clearly all of the things it has been accused of being. It is only by sheer numbers, and the shield wall provided by one's religious neighbors and friends, that religion is not stamped out by simple public mockery. No delusional behavior can continue, unless it is allowed to continue, by the silencing of those who choose reason and logic over fantasy. Can anyone imagine how long religion would last if it had but one or ten members to its name? Surely it would be cast aside, and mocked by the rest of humanity, as the superstitious drivel that it is.

Lying is no great stretch when it comes to the religious, since they have to do a great deal of it every day simply to maintain their beliefs. First they have to lie to themselves, when they see the modern scientific world openly disproving their religious claims. This attitude of self deception, in the name of comfort, is quickly passed on to children and friends. It is no great stretch for a religious person to lie openly in the name of a conversion. Islam is especially guilty of this crime, and of encouraging it.

I find it interesting that you mention a lack of shame and guilt. Although you are right in the way that they carelessly dismiss all others who are not of the faith, you have left out the constant and immensely unhealthy obsession that Christianity is particular has with shame and guilt. Has there ever been such a repressed, bitter, self hating religion in all of the world's history? I doubt it. A Christian will blame himself, and torture himself, long before he has even committed any kind of crime. They will even go as far as to feel pain and remorse for the actions of others. Their thrust their idea of morality upon the world as fact, sobbing and threatening in equal measure. What an awful cult.

I have always held Christians in particular in great contempt for their will full pretend emotions. They would rather pretend to be happy, to sell you on their religion, than admit that they are miserable. They are trained from birth to convert at any cost, including their own self respect and integrity. This can be quite humorous if you become skilled at spotting it, since it is obvious they are acting. Catching the religious in this type of dishonesty is a favorite pastime of mine.

You are of course, very right when you call religions cults. They are undoubtedly the constructions of charismatic men, seeking power and pride over others. Their very construction, as hierarchies and totalitarianism theocracies, belay their true purpose, in controlling their members, an collecting tax free money. Lying to themselves, until they believe their own bullshit, is soon to follow.

Religion, rather than acting as a symbol of truth or justice, merely acts as a symbol of human gullibility and stupidity. Surely no race of beings with any real intelligence would concoct such drivel.
[+] 1 user Likes Prometheus762's post
08-04-2013, 06:13 AM
(07-04-2013 10:33 PM)Prometheus762 Wrote:  There is no doubt that religion is both infectious and fundamentally evil. I have noticed, as many other atheists have, that many attempts have been made to classify just exactly what religion is. Is it a virus, a delusion, both? We do not know. This seems very strange to me, since it is clearly all of the things it has been accused of being. It is only by sheer numbers, and the shield wall provided by one's religious neighbors and friends, that religion is not stamped out by simple public mockery. No delusional behavior can continue, unless it is allowed to continue, by the silencing of those who choose reason and logic over fantasy. Can anyone imagine how long religion would last if it had but one or ten members to its name? Surely it would be cast aside, and mocked by the rest of humanity, as the superstitious drivel that it is.

Lying is no great stretch when it comes to the religious, since they have to do a great deal of it every day simply to maintain their beliefs. First they have to lie to themselves, when they see the modern scientific world openly disproving their religious claims. This attitude of self deception, in the name of comfort, is quickly passed on to children and friends. It is no great stretch for a religious person to lie openly in the name of a conversion. Islam is especially guilty of this crime, and of encouraging it.

I find it interesting that you mention a lack of shame and guilt. Although you are right in the way that they carelessly dismiss all others who are not of the faith, you have left out the constant and immensely unhealthy obsession that Christianity is particular has with shame and guilt. Has there ever been such a repressed, bitter, self hating religion in all of the world's history? I doubt it. A Christian will blame himself, and torture himself, long before he has even committed any kind of crime. They will even go as far as to feel pain and remorse for the actions of others. Their thrust their idea of morality upon the world as fact, sobbing and threatening in equal measure. What an awful cult.

I have always held Christians in particular in great contempt for their will full pretend emotions. They would rather pretend to be happy, to sell you on their religion, than admit that they are miserable. They are trained from birth to convert at any cost, including their own self respect and integrity. This can be quite humorous if you become skilled at spotting it, since it is obvious they are acting. Catching the religious in this type of dishonesty is a favorite pastime of mine.

You are of course, very right when you call religions cults. They are undoubtedly the constructions of charismatic men, seeking power and pride over others. Their very construction, as hierarchies and totalitarianism theocracies, belay their true purpose, in controlling their members, an collecting tax free money. Lying to themselves, until they believe their own bullshit, is soon to follow.

What an incredibly extensive yet concise at the same time essay attacking the most odious traits of the cult! Thank you! And where oh where do I begin? Well you muse about whether it's a virus or delusion or both. How about 'both plus much more'? I mean, how can we actually put it under a mere one or two adjectives when it really reflects much more? My calling it a sociopathic cult is merely the most detrimental to society (in my view anyway). The cult title speaks for itself (strange teachings that fly in the face of reality, following ONE person - in their case Paul not the Jesus they profess to love and follow, etc.). The sociopathic part is the attribute that threatens our society in my opinion. Looking down on and criticizing our society, non-cults, etc. and then ACTING on those views (verbal and even physical abuse of family members who don't go along with them, attacking and even killing doctors/nurses who assist in family planning with women, etc.) are the more extreme actions of such behavior. Retreating into one's own fantasy world where the ONLY book they read is their bible which also is the ONLY truth for them is a lesser but still dangerous facet of it and I'm going by the words of many of them regarding their 'god' the bible.

When you say no delusion can continue unless the opponents (voices of reason) are silenced - another very important point and the reason why I and others have begun not just defending our cause but attacking theirs - no different than the late Christopher Hitchens who seemed to have loved pulling their hair and tweaking their noses verbally anyway. We have nothing to hide from since the truth is on our side, not theirs.

Their self loathing, as you pointed out, is yet another of many disturbing features of the cult. They call it being humble or spiritual but as you pointed out, it's nothing more than a charade of theirs which we can and do point out especially for those of us who were actually in their cult (me - for 25 years). Regarding the funny part of bringing it out as you note - I simply LOVE bashing them over the head with their own bible just to see the incredible tapdancing and dodging they do. And of course they'll end any discussion with the insipid 'you just don't understand that verse' or more deceitful 'you're taking that verse out of context'.

You mention 'lying' as being another of their traits and yes, of course because they simply MUST lie especially to themselves about their delusion. When some of us have actually checked some of them out and compared their private lives (numerous divorces, abuse of kids, et. al.) with the public, ie religious facades they project (so pious, so biblically knowledgable, so much love for a god, et.al.) it makes one want to retch over and over.

The incredible lack of shame you cite is yet another facet I find disgusting. Yes, they admit they do bad things even after going into the cult but they, unlike us, can simply fall prostrate before their god, confess the deed, and happily move on to the next time they do something odious. Then the process repeats itself. We, on the other hand, try to do the right thing not because of a celestial boogyman looking over our shoulders but simply because it IS the right thing to do. We take pride in our ability to make sound judgements whereas they flippantly shrug it off.

Lastly, their pretense regarding their cult, ie: knowing it's probably all bs but still trying to convert others. The classic case is Mother Teresa whom by the way I actually sent money to when I was in the cult. Shockingly she actually wrote me back twice about how wonderful it is to serve the poor in their suffering! What did she write in her last book? Something about spending the last 10 or so years of her life actually DOUBTING a god's existence!

Thanks again for taking the time to write.

"that which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" Christopher Hitchens
13-04-2013, 04:55 AM
(08-04-2013 06:13 AM)raoul116 Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 10:33 PM)Prometheus762 Wrote:  There is no doubt that religion is both infectious and fundamentally evil. I have noticed, as many other atheists have, that many attempts have been made to classify just exactly what religion is. Is it a virus, a delusion, both? We do not know. This seems very strange to me, since it is clearly all of the things it has been accused of being. It is only by sheer numbers, and the shield wall provided by one's religious neighbors and friends, that religion is not stamped out by simple public mockery. No delusional behavior can continue, unless it is allowed to continue, by the silencing of those who choose reason and logic over fantasy. Can anyone imagine how long religion would last if it had but one or ten members to its name? Surely it would be cast aside, and mocked by the rest of humanity, as the superstitious drivel that it is.

What an incredibly extensive yet concise at the same time essay attacking the most odious traits of the cult! Thank you! And where oh where do I begin? Well you muse about whether it's a virus or delusion or both. How about 'both plus much more'? I mean, how can we actually put it under a mere one or two adjectives when it really reflects much more? My calling it a sociopathic cult is merely the most detrimental to society (in my view anyway). The cult title speaks for itself (strange teachings that fly in the face of reality, following ONE person - in their case Paul not the Jesus they profess to love and follow, etc.). The sociopathic part is the attribute that threatens our society in my opinion. Looking down on and criticizing our society, non-cults, etc. and then ACTING on those views (verbal and even physical abuse of family members who don't go along with them, attacking and even killing doctors/nurses who assist in family planning with women, etc.) are the more extreme actions of such behavior. Retreating into one's own fantasy world where the ONLY book they read is their bible which also is the ONLY truth for them is a lesser but still dangerous facet of it and I'm going by the words of many of them regarding their 'god' the bible.

When you say no delusion can continue unless the opponents (voices of reason) are silenced - another very important point and the reason why I and others have begun not just defending our cause but attacking theirs - no different than the late Christopher Hitchens who seemed to have loved pulling their hair and tweaking their noses verbally anyway. We have nothing to hide from since the truth is on our side, not theirs.

Their self loathing, as you pointed out, is yet another of many disturbing features of the cult. They call it being humble or spiritual but as you pointed out, it's nothing more than a charade of theirs which we can and do point out especially for those of us who were actually in their cult (me - for 25 years). Regarding the funny part of bringing it out as you note - I simply LOVE bashing them over the head with their own bible just to see the incredible tapdancing and dodging they do. And of course they'll end any discussion with the insipid 'you just don't understand that verse' or more deceitful 'you're taking that verse out of context'.

You mention 'lying' as being another of their traits and yes, of course because they simply MUST lie especially to themselves about their delusion. When some of us have actually checked some of them out and compared their private lives (numerous divorces, abuse of kids, et. al.) with the public, ie religious facades they project (so pious, so biblically knowledgable, so much love for a god, et.al.) it makes one want to retch over and over.

The incredible lack of shame you cite is yet another facet I find disgusting. Yes, they admit they do bad things even after going into the cult but they, unlike us, can simply fall prostrate before their god, confess the deed, and happily move on to the next time they do something odious. Then the process repeats itself. We, on the other hand, try to do the right thing not because of a celestial boogyman looking over our shoulders but simply because it IS the right thing to do. We take pride in our ability to make sound judgements whereas they flippantly shrug it off.

Lastly, their pretense regarding their cult, ie: knowing it's probably all bs but still trying to convert others. The classic case is Mother Teresa whom by the way I actually sent money to when I was in the cult. Shockingly she actually wrote me back twice about how wonderful it is to serve the poor in their suffering! What did she write in her last book? Something about spending the last 10 or so years of her life actually DOUBTING a god's existence!

Thanks again for taking the time to write.

I bet you feel bad about sending that money to Mother Teresa now your atheist! Have you seen the Penn & Teller video on her, or read the Christopher Hitchens book on her?

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
13-04-2013, 05:31 AM
(13-04-2013 04:55 AM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  I bet you feel bad about sending that money to Mother Teresa now your atheist! Have you seen the Penn & Teller video on her, or read the Christopher Hitchens book on her?

Actually, no I don't. It was just one of those mistakes one makes while in the cult. I didn't read Hitchens' book about her but I saw a few videos where he spoke of her so I know the gist of what he said.