Christianity and the Black Community

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Christianity and the Black Community
As a black man coming out as an atheist was just like everyone else, tough but some of the reactions from my fellow black people were something I'd never heard before. Many of you all on here who were kind enough to share your personal de-conversion stories spoke about being cut off from family or friends but what about losing your "race card". Yes as silly as that sounds that is a response I received from almost all of my family and friends.

When I came out as an atheist to my parents the first thing out of my parents mouth verbatim "You have to stop hanging out with those white folks" I shit you not. At first I thought it was their normal blackness if you will blaming everything on "the white man" so to speak but a few weeks later I started to think what was that statement really aimed at. After some consideration and a little research I realized that the majority of the black community in America are Christians and make up much of the christian base. So with that knowledge I realized that in order to seem black to the majority you have to believe in God since everyone else in the black community at least believed in God. Now I really was curious why is this and better yet where did this undying support come from. That led to the big question did we always believe in Christianity even before slavery. NO. Although there was a very small percentage of Christianity and Islam before slavery throughout Africa each individual tribes believed in different Gods or a single deity none which reflect what is now known as Christianity or Islam.

So with that discovery I realized that the Christianity influencing on what is now black america was due to the influencing through slavery. When you think about this it makes perfect sense seeing as Christianity preys on the weak, troubled, and youth all very easy to persuade that with their God they are better off. Fast forward to today---why is the black community still so heavily affected by Christianity. The simple answer, everyone else black does it and if you don't then you're(for lack of a better word) an uncle tom, sell-out, wanna be white n**** or whatever else they come up with.

This psychological hold that Christianity has over blacks is basically something that we've had instilled in us since the times of slavery. Whether it was out of fear of being killed by slave masters for not believing or for hope to get through the terrible times, I think it's one of the biggest things that hold us back as black Americans. Being from the south I see this close-minded way of thinking so much and it pains me to see anyone limit themselves and not want more than the same thing and never question anything.

In closing I will say that although I speak about the black community primarily here I don't hate white people or anyone for that matter(just in case someone somehow got that from the point I was making lol). In all what do you guys think? I love feedback so don't hold punches so to speak.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like MrKrispy601's post
10-12-2013, 11:03 AM
RE: Christianity and the Black Community
It seems to me that xtianity is a big factor in keeping blacks down in the US.

The mayor of my city is a black creationist xtian. Ugh. Not the first black or minority mayor here, but Lawdy, is this guy pig--ignorant. And some of the shit he comes up with, because of his xtian influence, is directly detrimental to blacks and minorities here.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
10-12-2013, 11:05 AM
(10-12-2013 10:53 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  So with that discovery I realized that the Christianity influencing on what is now black america was due to the influencing through slavery. When you think about this it makes perfect sense seeing as Christianity preys on the weak, troubled, and youth all very easy to persuade that with their God they are better off. Fast forward to today---why is the black community still so heavily affected by Christianity. The simple answer, everyone else black does it and if you don't then you're(for lack of a better word) an uncle tom, sell-out, wanna be white n**** or whatever else they come up with.
That's very interesting. I have often thought about how so many black people in the US believe in Christianity and wondered how that can be? I'm sure you are right about preying on the weak and all that, but still it's hard to imagine. I'm thinking back to the time of slavery when black people were brought here with other religious beliefs. They heard about Christianity through the white people, but it's difficult to understand how they came to accept it. In my mind, they would have felt opposed to anything coming from whites and, given all that black people suffered, probably opposed to the idea of a god who cared about them at all. But obviously it happened so I do think you are right. There was a need for something better and there wasn't much else to turn to for them. So I guess that must be how Christianity made its inroads with them.

Well, congratulations on finding your way out. Thumbsup

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
10-12-2013, 11:08 AM
(10-12-2013 10:53 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  As a black man coming out as an atheist was just like everyone else, tough but some of the reactions from my fellow black people were something I'd never heard before. Many of you all on here who were kind enough to share your personal de-conversion stories spoke about being cut off from family or friends but what about losing your "race card". Yes as silly as that sounds that is a response I received from almost all of my family and friends.

When I came out as an atheist to my parents the first thing out of my parents mouth verbatim "You have to stop hanging out with those white folks" I shit you not. At first I thought it was their normal blackness if you will blaming everything on "the white man" so to speak but a few weeks later I started to think what was that statement really aimed at. After some consideration and a little research I realized that the majority of the black community in America are Christians and make up much of the christian base. So with that knowledge I realized that in order to seem black to the majority you have to believe in God since everyone else in the black community at least believed in God. Now I really was curious why is this and better yet where did this undying support come from. That led to the big question did we always believe in Christianity even before slavery. NO. Although there was a very small percentage of Christianity and Islam before slavery throughout Africa each individual tribes believed in different Gods or a single deity none which reflect what is now known as Christianity or Islam.

So with that discovery I realized that the Christianity influencing on what is now black america was due to the influencing through slavery. When you think about this it makes perfect sense seeing as Christianity preys on the weak, troubled, and youth all very easy to persuade that with their God they are better off. Fast forward to today---why is the black community still so heavily affected by Christianity. The simple answer, everyone else black does it and if you don't then you're(for lack of a better word) an uncle tom, sell-out, wanna be white n**** or whatever else they come up with.

This psychological hold that Christianity has over blacks is basically something that we've had instilled in us since the times of slavery. Whether it was out of fear of being killed by slave masters for not believing or for hope to get through the terrible times, I think it's one of the biggest things that hold us back as black Americans. Being from the south I see this close-minded way of thinking so much and it pains me to see anyone limit themselves and not want more than the same thing and never question anything.

In closing I will say that although I speak about the black community primarily here I don't hate white people or anyone for that matter(just in case someone somehow got that from the point I was making lol). In all what do you guys think? I love feedback so don't hold punches so to speak.

first, let me start by saying I really don't know shit about the black community, so if I'm way off base, its because I'm an idiot and not trying to be mean. Smile

I agree with your post about christianity being forced on people in times of slavery. There was a period in the USA in 1970's-1980's (when I was just a kid) that it seemed like many in the black community had realized christianity was forced on their ancestors and instead were turning to Islam because they felt it better reflected their ancestry. Whether or not that is true, I don't know, just the observations and conclusions of a kid at the time.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
10-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Also, wanted to add that I feel like christianity is holding down the black community in many ways….especially black women.

In my area (Charlotte, NC) there are some very large, extremely wealthy black pastors whose giant mega-churches sit in the poorest black communities in town, and they take and take and take from the very people they should be helping.

We also have some white mega church pastors ripping off hipster white folk too (elevation church), while the old white folks get ripped by Billy Graham and his son Franklin….I guess the 'ripping off' of the faithful is plentiful in this town.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
10-12-2013, 11:35 AM
I wondered this to since the south used the bible to justify slavery even though the absolutist were using it for the direct opposite. Funny thing that. Correct me if I'm wrong but is getting a higher education considered whitenizing a blackman? I hear this sometimes. I Don't believe a word of it just some stupid I hear.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
10-12-2013, 11:51 AM
(10-12-2013 11:35 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I wondered this to since the south used the bible to justify slavery even though the absolutist were using it for the direct opposite. Funny thing that. Correct me if I'm wrong but is getting a higher education considered whitenizing a blackman? I hear this sometimes. I Don't believe a word of it just some stupid I hear.

Yes I still wonder how can a black person believe in the bible and God so willingly when the same exact things were used to try and keep us in the dark ages of slavery and no rights. How is this still accepted?
10-12-2013, 12:38 PM
Is it not to do with people like Martin Luther King and his cohorts who are held up, quite rightly, as black heroes who subscribed strongly to Christianity? Considering what they achieved, it would make sense as positive role models and all that? With that said I'm a white Englishman so hardly qualified on the matter.

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
10-12-2013, 12:38 PM
Interesting post as it does make one wonder why the belief in a loving and just god would have done nothing to progress civil rights and equality among all humans at a much earlier date. Same with women believers and the clear discrimination in scriptures. Then again, the bible did have its "chosen people" so equality was never a priority from the get go.

Anyway, congrats on finding the strength to jump into the fire with your family and community. Please post any insights you may learn on this new journey of yours as there would be many interested in the dynamics of any belief system/group.

What response would you get by stating the premise that christianity came from the deluded and controlling white man, and is not native to African culture?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
10-12-2013, 01:04 PM
(10-12-2013 12:38 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  Is it not to do with people like Martin Luther King and his cohorts who are held up, quite rightly, as black heroes who subscribed strongly to Christianity? Considering what they achieved, it would make sense as positive role models and all that? With that said I'm a white Englishman so hardly qualified on the matter.

A valid point. Throughout out our history here in America all of the highly respectable black leaders were in someway religious and used their God as a backing for their message. Although the overall point for equality and such is a good the God part is what I find astounding seeing as a lot of times their oppressors were using the same text which in all honesty made since from the stand point of the heavily devout christian who believed the bible in its entirety was true. Women having no rights, slavery being ok is all in there as ok so why even use that as the backbone of your message. This still has me baffled