Christianity and the Black Community

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2013, 01:08 PM
RE: Christianity and the Black Community
(10-12-2013 12:38 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Interesting post as it does make one wonder why the belief in a loving and just god would have done nothing to progress civil rights and equality among all humans at a much earlier date. Same with women believers and the clear discrimination in scriptures. Then again, the bible did have its "chosen people" so equality was never a priority from the get go.

Anyway, congrats on finding the strength to jump into the fire with your family and community. Please post any insights you may learn on this new journey of yours as there would be many interested in the dynamics of any belief system/group.

What response would you get by stating the premise that christianity came from the deluded and controlling white man, and is not native to African culture?

It's funny because I actually brought this up to my dad( about Christianity coming from the deluded and controlling white man) and he had no response immediately. The next day I wake up to multiple missed calls and voice mails of him drunk trying to convince me that God is real when I think he was trying to convince himself because I had really got him thinking and that probably scared him.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Makes total sense. Back when there was slavery - slave owners would spell out the bible to their slaves (particularly the part about obeying masters), but slaves would focus on the joyous parts, such as heaven and doing good deeds. It's rooted in their culture (check out some old slave songs.) The more families raise their kids to be religious, the longer it'll stay with the black community.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
10-12-2013, 02:17 PM
My experience, and locality and social context have played a major role in it, is that the black youth of today, and I am specifically referring to young college aged students, are very open minded and critical and even at times skeptical. Even more so than people of the same age groups from just a few years ago. It is not hard for me to find and befriend black atheists. The attitudes towards Christianity and even religion in general are becoming less and less narrow within the black community.

My intro- more about me: My story
10-12-2013, 02:21 PM
(10-12-2013 01:08 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  It's funny because I actually brought this up to my dad( about Christianity coming from the deluded and controlling white man) and he had no response immediately. The next day I wake up to multiple missed calls and voice mails of him drunk trying to convince me that God is real when I think he was trying to convince himself because I had really got him thinking and that probably scared him.

This is a good start. Maybe you could use this to try to show them that you're not abandoning your heritage by being true to yourself. Educate your family and friends a little bit about what religions were prevalent in the black community before slavery become so common. I don't understand how your beliefs have anything to do with your 'blackness' but it's clearly scary and uncomfortable to them for you to venture outside of what they think a black man should be. In my opinion, you have the freedom to be who you want to be, and if that wasn't the point of the civil rights movement, I don't know what was.

Native Americans have experienced a very similar thing. They all subscribed to pagan regions before western settlers got here. Then the white man came, took their land, killed them, enslaved them, cut off their food supplies, and brought foreign diseases to them. Then they sent out some missionaries offering food and meager shelter 'from God' and the natives quickly caught on to Christianity being the only way to survive in this new world. Now, and natives who go back to a polytheistic or non-christian belief system are shunned by their families and tossed off the reservation. It's sad.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
10-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Because of the oppression that the black community has been subjected to both during slavery and post slavery, I suspect they are particularly sensitive to anything that undermines the solidarity of the group. This is why some want to revoke the race card during the deconversion process, its a defense mechanism. This is why encouraging our black bretherin to join the ranks as open participants really helps the black community recognize that they can question their faith and there are contemporaries within the black community who prefer evidential thinking over faith based delusion. I commend you for your intellectual honesty and welcome to the Atheist community.