Christianity and the wealthy - what am I missing here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2014, 04:40 PM
Christianity and the wealthy - what am I missing here?
I don't quite understand this. I am making this thread as a question that seeks an answer - Jesus clearly condemns the rich in the Bible, so how come many modern day Christians aren't as passionately against the rich as many of them are against us atheists, or the LGBT, or neo-pagans, etc?
I have read the Bible before, and it strikes me that in America the Bible Belt isn't as passionately against wealthy as they are against homosexuality and atheism.
I mean, Jesus says:
Quote:Mark 10:25
King James Version (KJV)
25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
I've read that was mistranslated and was suppose to refer to either a braid of rope being threaded through a needle point, or a camel trying to walk through a tight path that goes between rocks.
Then there is the story of Lazarus and the rich man.
I mean, I just don't get it. So many Christians wake up early in the morning on Sundays just to hear some man scream from a podium how evil he thinks atheists, gays, abortionists, etc, are, yet anti-rich sermons are a rarity. Granted some televangelists like Rick Warren say they are Reverse Tithers, most of the others, like Pat Robertson, are super rich. Wealthy people like Pat Robertson, John Hagee, and apparently that Duck Dynasty guy, all attract large crowds of people to wail against gays or atheists or pagans or witches or abortionists or whatever, but the three of them have all read the Bible and had to have read over the passages where Jesus says the rich are going to Hell.

Am I reading the Bible wrong? I don't understand it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2014, 04:42 PM
RE: Christianity and the wealthy - what am I missing here?
[Image: cherry-7911681.jpg]

They ignore the parts they don't like. When confronted with this they lie and say the bible doesn't say that.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 7 users Like Revenant77x's post
22-05-2014, 04:45 PM
Re: Christianity and the wealthy - what am I missing here?
Generally people haven't read the Bible much. And many who did, read it in snipits guided by a pastor on how those issues were circumvented by interpretation.

Those types just care about the issues and passages they've been told hold current day significance by their pastors or evangelists.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
22-05-2014, 04:54 PM
They also rationalize it, god wants them wealthy otherwise they wouldn't have the money.

Silly reasoning.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-05-2014, 05:05 PM
(22-05-2014 04:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  They also rationalize it, god wants them wealthy otherwise they wouldn't have the money.

Silly reasoning.

See Osteen, Joel.

Oops. Guess he hasn't read the bible, either.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
22-05-2014, 06:02 PM
When confronted with a pile of cash, Jesus' words miraculously become faint and sayings like "God helps those who help themselves" are born.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
22-05-2014, 06:10 PM
(22-05-2014 04:42 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  [Image: cherry-7911681.jpg]

They ignore the parts they don't like.

Until it works in their favor. The bible is handy when it is needed, and ignored when it hinders their personal desires.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
22-05-2014, 06:16 PM
(22-05-2014 04:40 PM)Chase Wrote:  I don't quite understand this. I am making this thread as a question that seeks an answer - Jesus clearly condemns the rich in the Bible, so how come many modern day Christians aren't as passionately against the rich as many of them are against us atheists, or the LGBT, or neo-pagans, etc?
I have read the Bible before, and it strikes me that in America the Bible Belt isn't as passionately against wealthy as they are against homosexuality and atheism.
I mean, Jesus says:
King James Version (KJV)
25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
I've read that was mistranslated and was suppose to refer to either a braid of rope being threaded through a needle point, or a camel trying to walk through a tight path that goes between rocks.
I mean, I just don't get it. So many Christians wake up early in the morning on Sundays just to hear some man scream from a podium how evil he thinks atheists, gays, abortionists, etc, are, yet anti-rich sermons are a rarity. Granted some televangelists like Rick Warren say they are Reverse Tithers, most of the others, like Pat Robertson, are super rich. Wealthy people like Pat Robertson, John Hagee, and apparently that Duck Dynasty guy, all attract large crowds of people to wail against gays or atheists or pagans or witches or abortionists or whatever, but the three of them have all read the Bible and had to have read over the passages where Jesus says the rich are going to Hell.

Because snakes like Pat Robertson know their religious crap allows them to lead a bunch of blind sheep who they can manipulate however they please, all the while reaping the rewards while their idiotic followers continue to praise them and send them money, and Robertson and his cronies just laugh all the way to the bank. They ignore the anti-rich stuff from the Bible because the last thing they want to do is fuck up their gravy train.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
22-05-2014, 09:07 PM
(22-05-2014 04:40 PM)Chase Wrote:  Am I reading the Bible wrong? I don't understand it.

There is no way to read the Bible right. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
22-05-2014, 09:20 PM
(22-05-2014 04:40 PM)Chase Wrote:  I don't quite understand this. I am making this thread as a question that seeks an answer - Jesus clearly condemns the rich in the Bible, so how come many modern day Christians aren't as passionately against the rich as many of them are against us atheists, or the LGBT, or neo-pagans, etc?
I mean, Jesus says:
King James Version (KJV)

I have thought the same thing many times. It is so confusing to me how willfully the principle message in the gospels and the new testament has been ignored. Jesus, in no uncertain terms, says that wealth is sinful.

It is not just america that ignores that though, it is literally all christians everywhere through out all time.