Christianity and the wealthy - what am I missing here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2014, 01:52 PM
RE: Christianity and the wealthy - what am I missing here?
(23-05-2014 01:27 PM)Charis Wrote:  Ok, putting on fundy hat for a moment.

There is a general understanding within Christianity regarding possession of money vs. obsession with money. Money itself is often seen as benign in and of itself, but the one who possesses it is often believed to develop an obsession for it, or a sense of pride, conceit, elitism, etc. while they possess it. Also, those who persue money are similarly said to have this "love of money." Money CAN be a blessing, or it can be a "stumbling block." It can also be an idol (a very common pronouncement is that "he made money his god or his idol").

Those in the evangelical circles who want the money will of course pounce on the "money is a blessing" thinking. Those who are jealous of them will use the "money is their idol" rebuttal.

Basically, it's supposed to be about a person's attitude regarding money, and not about the money itself.

The reason it is said that "it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get to Heaven" is because it's often believed that it's very very hard to resist the ungodly mindsets that come with affluence while one is rich. It's believed that one's attitude towards their money will generally determine how it is used. Sooooo, if one's attitude towards it is that it needs to be given to the poor, then the rich person who holds this attitude will, presumably, do just that. If that rich person fails to do so, it can mean that they perhaps do not really hold this position after all, or that their love of money has taken root.

I'm probably not being very clear. Sorry bout that.

Okay, hat off.

Yeah I do get that. It is just such a liberal interpretation of the bible. Parts of the bible talk about peoples relationship with money, and other parts, particularly when jesus is talking, are about redistributing wealth.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2014, 01:55 PM
RE: Christianity and the wealthy - what am I missing here?
(23-05-2014 01:52 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Yeah I do get that. It is just such a liberal interpretation of the bible. Parts of the bible talk about peoples relationship with money, and other parts, particularly when jesus is talking, are about redistributing wealth.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, pretty much sums it up.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply