Christianity for busy thinking people

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2016, 09:42 PM
RE: Christianity for busy thinking people
I have, since I've gotten here, identified myself as a theist, who falls under the Orthodox umbrella. As a bona fide member of Orthodoxy, I would like to join hands with Pasadi97 in reiterating longstanding, 2000 year old traditional doctrine that states that if you're not a member of my group, then you're FINE! Nothing will happen to you! Live a wonderful, meaningful life, and cram as much learning, joy and happiness into your life as you can. Don't worship idols, and don't live in a society without laws or enforcement of those laws. Don't commit adultery, because it's super-douchy. Don't murder and steal from people! That's also douchy.

Live by these rules, and you have every chance to live an awesome, meaningful life.

And that is the main idea of orthodox theology.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Aliza's post
11-07-2016, 09:51 PM
(11-07-2016 09:42 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I have, since I've gotten here, identified myself as a theist, who falls under the Orthodox umbrella. As a bona fide member of Orthodoxy, I would like to join hands with Pasadi97 in reiterating longstanding, 2000 year old traditional doctrine that states that if you're not a member of my group, then you're FINE! Nothing will happen to you! Live a wonderful, meaningful life, and cram as much learning, joy and happiness into your life as you can. Don't worship idols, and don't live in a society without laws or enforcement of those laws. Don't commit adultery, because it's super-douchy. Don't murder and steal from people! That's also douchy.

Live by these rules, and you have every chance to live an awesome, meaningful life.

Well, that and the G-d thingy. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-07-2016, 09:53 PM
(11-07-2016 09:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-07-2016 09:42 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I have, since I've gotten here, identified myself as a theist, who falls under the Orthodox umbrella. As a bona fide member of Orthodoxy, I would like to join hands with Pasadi97 in reiterating longstanding, 2000 year old traditional doctrine that states that if you're not a member of my group, then you're FINE! Nothing will happen to you! Live a wonderful, meaningful life, and cram as much learning, joy and happiness into your life as you can. Don't worship idols, and don't live in a society without laws or enforcement of those laws. Don't commit adultery, because it's super-douchy. Don't murder and steal from people! That's also douchy.

Well, that and the G-d thingy. Consider

What G-d thingy is that?
11-07-2016, 09:59 PM
(11-07-2016 09:53 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(11-07-2016 09:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, that and the G-d thingy. Consider

What G-d thingy is that?

Orthodox theology.

11-07-2016, 10:01 PM
(11-07-2016 09:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-07-2016 09:53 PM)Aliza Wrote:  What G-d thingy is that?

Orthodox theology.

Yeah.... and?
11-07-2016, 10:16 PM
(11-07-2016 10:01 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(11-07-2016 09:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  Orthodox theology.

Yeah.... and?

You said "And that is the main idea of orthodox theology."

No, it isn't. A god is the main idea of theology, by definition.

11-07-2016, 10:19 PM
I thought he was referring to the use of the - in lieu of the o, in G-d.

Laugh out load

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
11-07-2016, 10:21 PM
(11-07-2016 10:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-07-2016 10:01 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Yeah.... and?

You said "And that is the main idea of orthodox theology."

No, it isn't. A god is the main idea of theology, by definition.

Ah, okay. For us Orthodox, we believe that G-d does exist regardless of anyone's beliefs. Orthodox people (and the rest of the people in related denominations) should believe in G-d. But for everyone else, belief in G-d is optional.

For all humans, at no time is your "eternal soul" dependent on the position you hold on G-d. It's dependent on how you live your life. Be a good person and live an awesome life. That's been a consistent message that I've been saying since I got here.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
12-07-2016, 01:40 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2016 01:43 AM by Deesse23.)
(11-07-2016 08:32 PM)pasadi97 Wrote:  
(11-07-2016 12:03 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Orthodox christianity, oh yeah, the organisation that builds the worlds biggest orthodox cathedral for 200mio € (estimates are going as high as 1bio, and i am more in favour of the latter, considering the the sheer obscene size of this project) in one of europes poorest countries. In a city where little kids are living in sewers and sniffing glue. Thumbsup

Why help them, when we can build something so obscene!? Hobo
Yeah, we need additional 6000 seats for worshippers to pray away Romanias poverty and those kids and their heartbreaking lives. We need the 500 car parking lot very urgently as well, fuck the kids. And, we need two more hotels! Angel

When (and if) finished, the cathedral and its surroundings will be one of the biggest religious sites in the world. Isnt that more important than taking care of povery or poor little kids? Of course it is! Laugh out load

Fuck povery in Romania, fuck it. Top priority are 6000 more people who can separate their selves from the harsh reality of existence by engaging in useless prayers. Weeping

Thats what orthodoxy stands for! So spare me with your silly little miracle stories. Angry

I did not say orthodoxy because they build the tallest church but because people that asked God through prayer about best denomination were directed by visions, dreams and so on to orthodoxy and God knows better.

So if anyone wants to disagree, instead of atheism that requires lectures and gives trouble with afterlife can choose orthodoxy and can give lectures, an incredible amount of lectures.

Orthodoxy was established by Jesus and have history since then churches after 1500 were established by men and do not have uninterrupted history since Jesus came. Apostle Luke painted icons and orthodoxy is in line with teachings about icons churches after 1500 are not and I can continue for hours.

Why are you even quoting me when not even adressing a single point i made, when in fact not coming even close to talking about my topic(s).

Yup, because you arent interested in dialogue, you are only interested in preaching.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
12-07-2016, 02:34 AM
(12-07-2016 01:40 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  you are only interested in preaching.

Well he sure as fuck ain't preaching to the choir Big Grin

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post