Christianity for busy thinking people

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2016, 08:37 PM
RE: Christianity for busy thinking people
Nihilism.

"There's a bloody great truck heading right at me! No there's not."

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
13-07-2016, 08:56 PM
(13-07-2016 03:31 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I'm not changing the words friend, I'm only interpreting in a non literal way.

And that would be changing the words. You are interpreting them to mean what you want them to say.

Did you ever notice that the god a person preaches about always agrees with exactly what the preacher thinks?

(13-07-2016 03:31 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  That goes for pretty much all of it. It's parables and entendre, not to be merely understood literally. That's sorta the problem the Jew had in my opinion.

You are judging your god and finding him lacking. Do you have any idea of how asinine that sounds? Not only are you going to preach his glorious message, but you're going to tell us his faults too.

(13-07-2016 03:31 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Authority? It isn't an authority thing so much as it is just knowing. Where did the knowledge come from? Not me. It just happens to go right along with everything else I have ever known on my own.

You don't know anything unless it can be verified by someone else. If you are the only person to experience something you have to at least consider that you could be wrong.

(13-07-2016 03:31 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I have no authority and want none...ever. I would like to be heard though.

You want no authority yet you feel empowered to correct your deity on his shortcomings. You want no authority, but you do want to be heard. The only way that means anything is if you are speaking... wait for it... with authority. Rationality helps too.

Looks like you're 0 for 2.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
13-07-2016, 09:00 PM
(13-07-2016 03:33 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  No, actually I meant to show how one is evidence for the other.

Not technically proof though.

Interesting. Well, here in the real world, it doesn't work that way.

You have no idea what evidence or proof means. Even worse, you have no idea of how to apply them to verify or reject something.

You are simply throwing out whatever words or phrases sound good as you type them.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
13-07-2016, 09:55 PM
Fatbaldhobit,

I'm not interpreting them to mean any sort of thing. Just recognize on many levels that they are generally not to be taken literally, as parrables and entendre rarely are.

I have not in any way attempted to correct GOD. The fact that all inquiry I have personally done myself has only verified what I say and also coincides with what I had been so fortunate to be given. You can think I'm lying or delusional or biased or whatever you need to explain it away. But the fact is that I am telling the truth. And though you cannot verify my personal experience you can inquire on your own without preconceptions and biase, as could anyone.

And no I haven't noticed that the GOD a preacher speaks of flawlessly represents their words. I deal with this daily and refute it and attempt to correct it.

How can you even justify accusing me of judging GOD. Granted you managed to do what you set out to do, which is offend me, but I have not judged GOD in my words here. When GOD saved me from myself, IT was proved imediatly and wholly that IT was just, merciful, righteous, compassionate, long suffering, and infinity more powerful and intelligent than myself. I have not and will not ever question what I know to be GOD again. That doesn't mean I cannot inquire about writings inspired by GOD in order to discern them, and it in no way means that all is wholly of GOD either in some writings or with internal dealings.

I do not speak of any fault of GOD as there is none.

I am free to identify, clarify, and resolve the faults of man to the extent of my ability and fervor, by the Will of GOD through strife towards utter supplication, faith, gratefulness, love, submission, and fear to GOD alone.

I agree that one should very carefully consider things pertaining to a personal/divine intervention that cannot be verified by any other person. I have considered it quite a bit. Though, like I said, it is to me undeniable. Admittedly this is a prerequisite for bias. Strange analagy but; a head ache is somewhat descriptive of the experience in that neither can be confirmed or denied by any other, yet is irifutable to one who's head is hurting.

But no, really, I've considered other possibilities, or at least tryed, I don't deny that I'm strange, but I'm not crazy. And when thinking of the initial happening; I cannot even think of or find any descriptors for it that are associated with any other possibilities.

I've looked into a few different things, but none resonate or relate to what I recall that happened. If you know or think some symptoms may explain what happened then please, offer them up. I assure you I will research them with the utmost scrutiny.

Your last bit about authority is nonsense.

Here and now I am heard, yet don't speak, and wholly claim to be of no authority. Ask someone here, see if they think I hold any authority whatsoever. My own body and erges don't conform wholly to my authority. My dog attempted and nearly succeeded in killing a kitten yesterday against my authority. My child regards me with some level of respect I suppose. But here, no. Sorry.
Sounded good though.

0 for 2?

Who am I fighting but myself?

Peace

Faith in selfless Unity for Good.
13-07-2016, 10:05 PM
(13-07-2016 09:55 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Who am I fighting but myself?

Why you wanna fight fool?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
13-07-2016, 10:06 PM
(13-07-2016 09:00 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(13-07-2016 03:33 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  No, actually I meant to show how one is evidence for the other.

Not technically proof though.

Interesting. Well, here in the real world, it doesn't work that way.

You have no idea what evidence or proof means. Even worse, you have no idea of how to apply them to verify or reject something.

You are simply throwing out whatever words or phrases sound good as you type them.
What?

Me...sound good...as in speak well....come now, stretching much?

No. A book cannot verify itself. Indeed that is circular logic. A book can lend credence to the words of another book though. This is not circular logic, but just as I said, evidence.

proof

pro͞of/

noun

evidence or argument establishing or helping to establish a fact or the truth of a statement.

"you will be asked to give proof of your identity"

synonyms:evidence,verification,corroboration,authentication,confirmation,certifi​cation,documentation,validation,attestation,substantiation

"proof of ownership"

The synonymous words I would like to second are ; verification, corroboration, authentication, confirmation, documentation, validation, attestation, and substantiation.

ev·i·dence

ˈevədəns/

noun

the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

"the study finds little evidence of overt discrimination"

synonyms:proof, confirmation,verification,substantiation,corroboration,affirmation,attestation

"they found evidence of his plotting"

All synonyms here are worth mention.

And yes these two books along with many others indeed do attest to the credence of one another and corroborate with one another for a singular purpose, from an ultimately singular source.

Peace
13-07-2016, 10:16 PM
(13-07-2016 10:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-07-2016 09:55 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Who am I fighting but myself?

Why you wanna fight fool?
I know.

I've really got to love my enemy and release it somehow, or its gonna kill me. Not that I mind dying, just mind dying in knowing error, falling quite short of potential.

While you're here;

I meant to tell you that I admire your perspective.
Many, including myself attempt to keep an opened, unbiased mind, but you have this down to a science. Your perspective is so broad and seemingly unmingled with preconceptions, though you are very aware of them, that it is worth much more than my mention here. I can't really put what I want to say into words, but... You and your like are a commodity to civilization for your perspective and temperament.

Just had to put that out there; it had crossed my mind more than once.

Anyway....

Peace

[+] 1 user Likes popsthebuilder's post
13-07-2016, 10:34 PM
(13-07-2016 05:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(13-07-2016 05:17 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I'm going to have to ask for qualification on that; what is a soul, precisely what does it do, and how does one establish its functions?

I would be lying if I said I could accurately describe it completely or what it does and doesn't consist of.

I'd like to think it is a unified aspect of life that is somehow tied to the conscience and the will of GOD. But that would be speculation really.

So the idea of a soul is functionally identical to that of nothing, then? Surely to posit the existence of a thing you would have good reason to do so.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
13-07-2016, 10:36 PM
(13-07-2016 10:34 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(13-07-2016 05:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I would be lying if I said I could accurately describe it completely or what it does and doesn't consist of.

I'd like to think it is a unified aspect of life that is somehow tied to the conscience and the will of GOD. But that would be speculation really.

So the idea of a soul is functionally identical to that of nothing, then? Surely to posit the existence of a thing you would have good reason to do so.
No it is functionally equivalent to live and existence, or at least the potential there of. The opposite of nothing or void.

13-07-2016, 11:32 PM
(13-07-2016 10:36 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(13-07-2016 10:34 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  So the idea of a soul is functionally identical to that of nothing, then? Surely to posit the existence of a thing you would have good reason to do so.

No it is functionally equivalent to live and existence, or at least the potential there of. The opposite of nothing or void.

But that does that mean? We already know how life works, no supernatural component which itself is inexplicable is required to explain function. Souls don't explain existence because assumedly non-soul bearing things exist showing it is an unrequired addition.

You yourself said you can't describe anything about souls; you can't state their functions or describe their properties. But now you are saying you can identify some form of soul-properties. But they way you state them themselves require narrowing in order to be useful; at the moment, souls or not, the function of the universe is the same, so functionally the things and nothing are identical as far as the current model is concerned.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post