Christianity for busy thinking people

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2016, 06:02 AM
RE: Christianity for busy thinking people
(14-07-2016 10:30 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Fatbaldhobbit,

I'm sorry; I lost you somewhere. It happens; my writing isn't too good. Anyway; I was saying that the parables that you said were parables that are noted as such in the same chapter are no longer parables usually ...

Popsthebuilder,

I appreciate you reaching for a more reasonable discussion. After I got offline last night I was unhappy with the position I had argued myself into. You were making reference to a specific passage and your position is supported at other points in the scriptures.

I was attempting to point out the problems inherent in making interpretations. However I was wrong to press the issue on your statement and I apologize.

---

Moving on, I should rephrase my point about being a scholar. That was also poorly written on my part. I was trying to point out that we don't know who the actual authors of the gospels were. Which should be the subject of it's own thread and has no relevance here.

Contradictions:
I disagree. The SAB lists 535 places where the bible contradicts itself.

SAB - contradictions

While some of them are rather piddly, the majority are legit.

Judging god:
I've stated why I thought you were doing that. Since you are making it clear that you were not doing so, then I apologize for misunderstanding you.

Hell
Nope. I firmly disagree with you here. While this is one of the places the bible contradicts itself, there are more than a dozen passages that threaten eternal fires, lakes of eternal fires, etc.

SAB - Hell

---

Looking back at the thread, there is a lot of negativity in my posts, that was unwarranted in regards to the discussion. I apologize for that as well.

Thanks again.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
15-07-2016, 06:08 AM
(14-07-2016 09:05 PM)pasadi97 Wrote:  Love you guys. Heaven will be empty without you.

(14-07-2016 08:05 PM)pasadi97 Wrote:  Death = the soul exits the cloth named body and wanders around. The cloth named body is thrown into ground and becomes dust, soul or you go to one destination Hell or Heaven.

Atheism gives you a great chance to go to Hell and do make an irreparable lost to me and to Heaven.

I have the proof that NDE is not brain activity but soul leaving the body. Why?

Because a priest that cleaned his vision and could see with soul vision and could see angels, souls said that he saw many sould going near coffins, levitating above the coffin at funerals. If it would be brain then what are the souls doing there why the people with soul vision can see souls?

Also Eastern Orthodox Church make prayers for departed at intervals of time, years, months after death. When these prayers are done, people that see souls say that the souls of the deceased for which the prayers are done by priest come there and can be seen. If they did bad or were atheists probable devils bring them, if they did well good angels bring them.

So how come brain activity when brain is in ground by many years and gone for a long time. No brain activity but soul. THat is proof.

Father Ilarion Argatu about seeing a soul after death https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1q0Zk7-zuE No translation available.
Love you guys. Heaven will be empty without you.

There is no evidence of a heaven. It is the empty set.

Quote:Father Ilarion Argatu on seeing souls http://www.parinteleilarionargatu.ro/sub...-judecata/

How many people on this forum read Romanian? Consider

Quote:This is what I saw with my eyes, a dead person at his funerals. I think he was a sinner based on how he looked like how his face looked.I was wondering how people go around him and don't see him.He was transparent and very thin......From that position I saw the funerals and the soul of the dead person.It was the first time that I saw something like this, when I saw a soul outside his body. First time I was scared after this I had no fear. I was shiverring.

You are deeply delusional and should seek help.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-07-2016, 06:32 AM
(14-07-2016 09:22 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  You have no idea what you are talking about, you have no idea of basic definitions and you have no business coming here and preaching truth.

Fixed that for you; Pops isn't preaching "truth" in any meaningful sense. He has no clue how to even begin differentiating between truth and fiction.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
15-07-2016, 06:34 AM
(15-07-2016 06:02 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(14-07-2016 10:30 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Fatbaldhobbit,

I'm sorry; I lost you somewhere. It happens; my writing isn't too good. Anyway; I was saying that the parables that you said were parables that are noted as such in the same chapter are no longer parables usually ...

Popsthebuilder,

I appreciate you reaching for a more reasonable discussion. After I got offline last night I was unhappy with the position I had argued myself into. You were making reference to a specific passage and your position is supported at other points in the scriptures.

I was attempting to point out the problems inherent in making interpretations. However I was wrong to press the issue on your statement and I apologize.

---

Moving on, I should rephrase my point about being a scholar. That was also poorly written on my part. I was trying to point out that we don't know who the actual authors of the gospels were. Which should be the subject of it's own thread and has no relevance here.

Contradictions:
I disagree. The SAB lists 535 places where the bible contradicts itself.

SAB - contradictions

While some of them are rather piddly, the majority are legit.

Judging god:
I've stated why I thought you were doing that. Since you are making it clear that you were not doing so, then I apologize for misunderstanding you.

Hell
Nope. I firmly disagree with you here. While this is one of the places the bible contradicts itself, there are more than a dozen passages that threaten eternal fires, lakes of eternal fires, etc.

SAB - Hell

---

Looking back at the thread, there is a lot of negativity in my posts, that was unwarranted in regards to the discussion. I apologize for that as well.

Thanks again.
I must say; reading your post first thing this morning I am somewhat awestruck.

I do not know what to say.

The fact that you have been able through retrospect to identify some communication errors, and yet further admit and own these things is all more consolation than I need. Thank you very much for your publicly coming clean on these things. I really am flabbergasted. Thank you again. In hind sight I may have been overly assertive or negative towards you. If I have offended you, then I too apologize.

Still at a loss for words, but. It is a good thing. This is a good day we live in. You have effectively zapped the fight right out of me.

I mean, Wow! Congradufreakinlations.

Gonna be another good day.

Thank you yet again.

But know that what you have done here is a great thing and reward in itself.

...Staggers off in a half wake stupor, and a dazed, innocent smirk...mumbling some half audible, partial rant about "blessed is this great day".

I am so looking forward to our next encounter.

Yep, still dumbfounded.

Wow

Ok for really, let me stop.

Peace, with sincerity and considerably more hope than say 6 hours ago.

Faith in selfless Unity for Good.
15-07-2016, 06:42 AM
(14-07-2016 11:23 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I agree that the genealogy and historicity of scripture are somewhat suspect. But these things aren't the focus of scripture.

Not when you cherry pick what supports your beliefs and ignore the rest anyway.

Quote:And in the case of the genealogies; we are told to disregard them.

Where exactly are we told to disregard them?

Quote:If by history you mean the creation description; though I think six days can be expressed as 6 aeons, the fact that it says plants were formed before the Sun, coupled with he believe of a 6 aeon creation period it is hard to understand or reconcile these two issues.
There are a few things that stand out in the ot with regards to being against my limited understanding of the Will of GOD, but even still, they are useful and in that book for at least a reason or lesson.

No matter how you interpret genesis, it is just wrong. The events are out of order and the 2 versions are contradictory. That's what you get when you take mythology created by people with no knowledge of how things actually happened and try to make it conform to science.

Quote:Peace friend, with all humility and sincerity.

bullshit

[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
15-07-2016, 03:27 PM
(15-07-2016 06:42 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(14-07-2016 11:23 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I agree that the genealogy and historicity of scripture are somewhat suspect. But these things aren't the focus of scripture.

Not when you cherry pick what supports your beliefs and ignore the rest anyway.

Quote:And in the case of the genealogies; we are told to disregard them.

Where exactly are we told to disregard them?

Quote:If by history you mean the creation description; though I think six days can be expressed as 6 aeons, the fact that it says plants were formed before the Sun, coupled with he believe of a 6 aeon creation period it is hard to understand or reconcile these two issues.
There are a few things that stand out in the ot with regards to being against my limited understanding of the Will of GOD, but even still, they are useful and in that book for at least a reason or lesson.

No matter how you interpret genesis, it is just wrong. The events are out of order and the 2 versions are contradictory. That's what you get when you take mythology created by people with no knowledge of how things actually happened and try to make it conform to science.

Quote:Peace friend, with all humility and sincerity.

bullshit
1 Timothy 1 (KJV) - 1 ጢሞቴዎስ
4: Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.

15-07-2016, 03:41 PM
(15-07-2016 03:27 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  1 Timothy 1 (KJV) - 1 ጢሞቴዎስ
4: Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.

You see Pop's, the bible disproves itself.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
15-07-2016, 04:08 PM
(14-07-2016 08:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-07-2016 07:58 PM)pasadi97 Wrote:  Two people had to tell me about their NDE with their mouths. So pay attention cause is true. They spoke about their own NDE and said is true.

The dude who continues to defy death against all odds trumps your couple of hearsay accounts. You don't seem to understand or appreciate how much this troubles me while considering your intellect. I think you might be stupid.

(15-07-2016 01:39 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I don't think Pasadi is stupid. I think he's gullible and thus delusional. There's an important difference.

If you think that statement is an example of being gullible and delusional, so be it. I call it a canonical example of stupid.

#sigh
15-07-2016, 04:14 PM

So why believe that over other parts? What criteria can be applied to determine what is to be believed and what is to be ignored?

The genealogies aren't 'endless' so why do they get included in this warning?

You are definitely good at cherry picking the stuff that supports what you want it to say. Too bad you have no rationale for discriminating.

15-07-2016, 06:22 PM
(15-07-2016 03:41 PM)Banjo Wrote:  

You see Pop's, the bible disproves itself.
No, it disproves the erroneous doctrines of man.

A lot.

Peace