Christianity for busy thinking people

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2016, 06:50 PM
RE: Christianity for busy thinking people
(14-07-2016 09:12 PM)pasadi97 Wrote:  
(14-07-2016 09:06 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Did you get a photo?
Love you guys. Heaven would be empty without you.
A movie actually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-XX0u4mnUg

I don't want to be in heaven with you or with the other people I've met who are sure they are going to heaven. Can you tell me a way to get into a heaven where there are no Christians? I might want to go there.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
15-07-2016, 08:16 PM
Unfogged,

You ask what criteria can be applied in order do know what to believe and what not to.

I ask that you at least give a hint to what part or scripture you believe I am ignoring.

As far as the geneologies are concerned, they just don't seem to be of much significance. The focus of scripture is the direction of man and not so much his origins. This is apparent but is also referenced in numerous ways, as the focus is most often on what the believer can do today. Exaggerated genealogies, and wild myths are of little use for any of a more logical temperament.

I want to focus more on these contradictions many claim the book is laden with. I would rather people list them singularly so I can actually go over them in their context.

I don't think I cherry pick, but who does I guess. This would be a good personal exersise for me to see if I really do cherry pick.

Thanks

Peace

Faith in selfless Unity for Good.
15-07-2016, 08:25 PM
(15-07-2016 08:16 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Unfogged,

You ask what criteria can be applied in order do know what to believe and what not to.

I ask that you at least give a hint to what part or scripture you believe I am ignoring.

As far as the geneologies are concerned, they just don't seem to be of much significance. The focus of scripture is the direction of man and not so much his origins. This is apparent but is also referenced in numerous ways, as the focus is most often on what the believer can do today. Exaggerated genealogies, and wild myths are of little use for any of a more logical temperament.

I want to focus more on these contradictions many claim the book is laden with. I would rather people list them singularly so I can actually go over them in their context.

I don't think I cherry pick, but who does I guess. This would be a good personal exersise for me to see if I really do cherry pick.

Thanks

Peace

Deciding what Is significant and what isn't Is itself right there an act of somewhat cherry picking.

To say, oh that part is mythological or exaggerated so it's not a problem is the dodging response that gets called out as such

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
15-07-2016, 08:53 PM
(15-07-2016 08:25 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  

Thanks

Peace

Deciding what Is significant and what isn't Is itself right there an act of somewhat cherry picking.

To say, oh that part is mythological or exaggerated so it's not a problem is the dodging response that gets called out as such
I was just expounding on the verse, or attempting to, anyway. I admit that to me personally the genealogies really aren't too important.

But if that contradicted the bible then I would understand what you were saying. Even though it is spoken of, I still understand where you are coming from I think. It is like a dodge of sorts, but it really is somewhat excusable because of the nature of the intentions of the writers, which isn't exactly a historical record but a history lessen and a lesson on today.

Peace

16-07-2016, 12:04 AM

(15-07-2016 08:16 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  As far as the geneologies are concerned, they just don't seem to be of much significance.
And you know how?
You seem to be full of it. Is that also a valid argument?

(15-07-2016 08:16 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  The focus of scripture is the direction of man and not so much his origins.
Says who and by what authority? How do you know?

(15-07-2016 08:16 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  This is apparent but is also referenced in numerous ways, as the focus is most often on what the believer can do today. Exaggerated genealogies, and wild myths are of little use for any of a more logical temperament.
Says who and by what authority? You say "most often". So who decides when and when not?

(15-07-2016 08:16 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I don't think I cherry pick, but who does I guess. This would be a good personal exersise for me to see if I really do cherry pick.
That is exactly what you are doing. What else would cherry picking be?
You are sitting in a tree picking cherries, and you are talking to us about how what you are doing is anything else but cherry picking. You are deluded. Get some help. Open your eyes, free yourself from the shackles of mental slavery.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
16-07-2016, 03:52 AM
(15-07-2016 06:22 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(15-07-2016 03:41 PM)Banjo Wrote:  You see Pop's, the bible disproves itself.
No, it disproves the erroneous doctrines of man.

A lot.

Peace

So you believe the bible is not inspired by god?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
16-07-2016, 05:04 AM

Thanks

Peace

[Image: wv7GmQu.gif]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
16-07-2016, 06:48 AM
(15-07-2016 08:16 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  You ask what criteria can be applied in order do know what to believe and what not to.

As far as the geneologies are concerned, they just don't seem to be of much significance.

Stop right there... there are genealogies in scripture and there is a verse telling you not to waste your time on "endless genealogies". You don't see a point to the genealogies so you ignore them and justify it by pointing to a verse that doesn't necessarily refer to the ones you want it to. Then you have the audacity to ask what part of scripture you are ignoring immediately before going on to say that you are ignoring parts of it.

You have no objective criteria for deciding that the genealogies are less important than other parts of scripture. You just accept the parts that you agree with and discard the parts that don't. You aren't looking to see what scriptures say, you are looking to see how they support what you already believe.

You've admitted that you have no evidence for the crap that you believe and you know that the people here base their beliefs on evidence so why the fuck are you still polluting this forum? You apparently aren't interested in actually examining whether or not your beliefs are rational so it isn't for your benefit. You have nothing at all to offer anybody here so it isn't for ours. Why don't you find some theistic forum where they appreciate walliowing in unsubstantiated conjecture?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
16-07-2016, 07:37 AM
(15-07-2016 08:16 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I want to focus more on these contradictions many claim the book is laden with. I would rather people list them singularly so I can actually go over them in their context.

There are too many to list. In my opinion asking us to list them strikes me as a dodge on your part either because you haven’t truly studied/read the Bible as many of us have or are incapable of identifying inconsistencies because of poor reading comprehension. I suppose it could also be that your cognative dissonance is so strong that it blinds you to the obvious.

But take a look at this interactive chart the identifies the chapters that contradict each other, a visually stunning piece of work.
http://bibviz.com

(15-07-2016 08:16 PM)‘popsthebuilder Wrote:  I don't think I cherry pick, but who does I guess. This would be a good personal exersise for me to see if I really do cherry pick.

You aren’t the first to cherry pick, you are but one in a long line of partial-believers who kinda like some of what’s in the Bible but not all of it. This is to your credit. I say this because anyone who believes the entirety of Christian Scripture to be true and inspired would be immediately be classified as sociopathic and schizophrenic.

Perhaps you can go and take a razor blade and cut and paste those parts you like unto a blank notebook like Thomas Jefferson did and then scan and post as a pdf so we have some idea of what parts you agree with and what parts are irrelevant to you. If nothing else this would be personal and enlightening exercise.

I can tell you that I have yet to read anything in the OT that I would like to quote or keep as reference on how to lead my life. I suppose you could say the OT is an excellent bad example.

Peace, love and Hogfish

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
16-07-2016, 07:44 AM
Deesse23,

I know that scripture is intended to lead man in the right direction because that is the nature of the topic at hand throughout the vast majority of scripture.

It would be a valid argument to say I seem full of it, unless we are speaking of a topic that can easily be examined and compaired to what I am saying, at which time one should conclude that indeed what I am saying in no way refutes the topic at hand, or its main focus.

What do you mean says who?

The book we are discussing is for the direction of existence, more specifically; the direction of the individual follower or believer. If you think this statement is false then examine the book and deside for yourself. You will find the emphasis to encompass the direction of man by the Will of GOD throughout in entirety. You will find mingled in with it genealogy and other historicity, but not nearly as pervaiding as the actual subject matter, which is the direction of the faithful, and the differenciation between it and that other direction.

Declares what? There are things that aren't directly tied to the general purpose of the book. Those things are there in an attempt to substanciate the rest. How can you reasonably argue that the focus of the bible isn't the direction of man? Even from an atheistic view, don't most consider it to be for the manipulation of the feeble minded? So how then can you now justifiably act as it is is just supposed to be some record?

If I'm cherry picking then give an actual example of me cherry picking scripture please. We haven't even paired two verses that contradict one another yet, so how can I be cherry picking?

Peace