Christianity is Buddhism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2016, 02:49 PM
Christianity is Buddhism
Hi,

A psychotherapist once told me (at a party) - “Christianity is Buddhism”.

I didn’t know WTF she was talking about. I said “Is it because they go on about suffering?” She said “No, that is just for the common people; the real deal is absorption back into the Godhead.”

Well, I didn’t know that there is a Godhead in Buddhism, but there you are.

There is something interesting here. I think she was implying that we all go back to the source, and for her that source is religious, any kind of religious. I don’t buy it, but I do agree that we probly all go back to the same place some place, whether it is ‘ashes to ashes’ or something else. It doesn’t really matter to me; we are just in a process and we can call it what we like.

Human beings make up such a lot of stuff about what ‘being’ is about, all kinds of fancy ideas, and then we die. No one gets left behind.

Its not rocket science?

D.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2016, 06:23 PM
RE: Christianity is Buddhism
That Buddha guy was one horndog! All that "God Head"? Too easy, D. Smile
12-09-2016, 06:30 PM
God...head?

Consider

Gasp

What a perv.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
12-09-2016, 06:56 PM
(12-09-2016 06:30 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  God...head?

Consider

Gasp

What a perv.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
12-09-2016, 07:00 PM
Yeah. Like Tomato, the Christian Woo crowd redefines it to be whatever makes sense to them. It's ultimately malleable. Whatever fits they're woo/New Agey bunk, they redefine it to be. It's all good. But they don't really need the "chrisitian" part of the recipe. It bakes up the same.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-09-2016, 08:33 PM
More people wanting to coopt if something sounds and is similar in one way, they are universally linked therefore the religious idea of mine is right in all boundless ways.

I thought this was gonna be her pulling out one thing I've heard people speculate about in that Jesus's absent teens/20s were that he traveled East and learned buddhism & eastern thoughts and brought that with him to the ideas of judaism, which only forms out of a lack of real knowledge of the ideas already flourished in the mid east in Babylonian, Egyptian, etc.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
12-09-2016, 08:34 PM
(12-09-2016 06:30 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  God...head?

Consider

Gasp

What a perv.
No no. She was obviously talking about one of my angst-ridden teenage songs...

Tongue

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
13-09-2016, 02:47 AM
(12-09-2016 08:33 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  More people wanting to coopt if something sounds and is similar in one way, they are universally linked therefore the religious idea of mine is right in all boundless ways.

I thought this was gonna be her pulling out one thing I've heard people speculate about in that Jesus's absent teens/20s were that he traveled East and learned buddhism & eastern thoughts and brought that with him to the ideas of judaism, which only forms out of a lack of real knowledge of the ideas already flourished in the mid east in Babylonian, Egyptian, etc.

ClydeLee,

There are some around here who believe that Joseph brought the young Jesus to Glastonbury. There is even a hymn 'And did those feet in ancient times......etc etc'. God knows what he would have learned in Glastonbury, it was ages before the hippies took possession of the town.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/what-i-le...lastonbury

D.
13-09-2016, 05:05 AM
(12-09-2016 08:33 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  More people wanting to coopt if something sounds and is similar in one way, they are universally linked therefore the religious idea of mine is right in all boundless ways.

I am not sure about Buddhism.
In Jesus teachings, there are no divine rules to be followed. But I guess, this sounds wrong to those who cannot live the unconditional love and care towards all others if they are not commanded to, first Big Grin For example, a certain man loves his wife to no limit in order to please his father who commanded him to do it in the first place Tongue

On the other side, all other religious teachings (mainly of Judaism) present certain rules (claimed being of a god or alike) to be followed in order to be saved in a way or another.

Do you think Buddhism has also no religious rules to be obeyed by its believers?
Thank you.

Please note that I didn't talk about 'Christianity' because the great majority of Christians have to follow some rules (and rituals) adopted by their denominations. This is why I was specific when I focused on 'Jesus teachings' only.

Kerim

Facts that don't need evidences:
Sheep for milk live in peace because it is the will of their rich owners.
Dogs obeying rich masters deserve much better food and shelters than free dogs do.
Whoever has ears will hear.
13-09-2016, 05:10 AM
Go on, admit it ... you were tempted to ask her if she was seeing a psychotherapist about her delusions, right?

Big Grin