Christianity is impractical

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2014, 10:44 AM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2014 03:15 AM by BlackMason.)
Christianity is impractical
[Deleted for rewriting]

I noticed christianity is impractical. I'm not talking about the fact that you can't live a sinless life. I mean that's like trying to live without...electricity. Sin is just a word with a negative connotation. A concept designed to make you feel guilty for what you are. Very clever on their part because they've created a problem that only their poster boy can handle. Thus you always have to keep coming back so you can get "washed in his sin purging blood". I don't wanna get off focus but I'm talking about the claim that god speaks and how to ensure he does.

I've heard christians say god speaks through dreams. I ask myself if that person understands how dreams work. Then I hear god speaks through a still small voice that's audible. I wonder how many people in mental institutions would verify that "fact". The list goes on and on with these claims. But here's what you'll never hear. "In order to hear from god with undeniable consistency, you must bite down gently on the left side of your tongue". Or how about, "If you need to consult your heavenly father on whether you should quit your job and get in business, you should hop on one leg 10 times and you'll have opened up the two way communication channel".

It's sad really. People do exactly what the pastor said they should. What you end up with is adults that look like a kid that bought a kinder joy treat with no toy inside. It's that bewildered look. The confusion. The frustration. Is this a joke? Fuck no it's not. Now you have to take your kids out that posh school and into the cheap good enough one. Listen carefully. Pastors tell you what you should do but not how. Contrast that with what real teachers and lecturers do. They tell you the how.

The problem is that it isn't practical. It's very theoretical. It's obviously designed that way in order to cast the blame on the individual for not having enough faith. This keeps the sheeple from realising the emperor has no clothes. So if god really does speak why do christians end up getting into some really sticky situations? Why does god not warn them before the fact that the intended investment isn't a good one. Instead what happens is a retrospective analysis of "God wasn't in the project". So then why the hell did you do it without consulting god? The answer becomes "Because god is pleased by faith". With all that smoke blowing up each others' asses every Saturday or Sunday (some even go during the work week), they don't see that they're no better off than the non-christian.

But the preacher will say "In order for you to gain all the benefits of god, you must obey!" Now here's the problem with that: IT'S SUBJECTIVE!How do you know you've obeyed enough to get that vital decision making input from the grand master himself? How do you know you've prayed the same prayer enough before it'll get answered? The answer is simple. You can't know.

The christian is therefore reduced to a slave that is constantly begging his master. It's excellent practice for eternity actually. Got no idea why so many of them think it's gonna be fun and games. Also this whole thing makes god unpredictable thus making him unreliable. You think he's gonna send in a mystery millionaire to pay off your mortgage only to crash the fuck back down to earth with foreclosure.

All that means is the christian is no better off than you or hell bound me. They don't see that their odds with god are still no better than random chance. I'm reminded of scripture where the Jews ask Paul (I think?) what profit there is in being Jew. This was in light of them being told that god accepts gentiles too. So I close with what profit is there in being christian since the burdens of dogma are heavy?

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like BlackMason's post
27-02-2014, 02:02 PM
RE: Christianity is impractical
(27-02-2014 10:44 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  [Deleted for rewriting]

Heh. Wish they'd do this with the Bible Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 7 users Like morondog's post
27-02-2014, 02:03 PM
(27-02-2014 02:02 PM)morondog Wrote:  

Heh. Wish they'd do this with the Bible Tongue

Big Grin

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2014, 08:55 PM
I'll give it a B+ for suspense.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
28-02-2014, 03:18 AM
(27-02-2014 08:55 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I'll give it a B+ for suspense.

Grading? Talk about pressure to perform. I hope I at least made sense.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
28-02-2014, 08:41 AM
(27-02-2014 10:44 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  The problem is that it isn't practical. It's very theoretical. It's obviously designed that way in order to cast the blame on the individual for not having enough faith. This keeps the sheeple from realising the emperor has no clothes.

This is about the most perfect way to look at it. One thing I've noticed when it comes to people who don't believe (or worse yet, used to believe), they always get blamed. Sometimes more piteously than other times, but the blame is still there. Once you've crossed the line of "doubts are normal; everybody has them", you inevitably end up in "you need more faith" territory.

(27-02-2014 10:44 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  The answer becomes "Because god is pleased by faith". With all that smoke blowing up each others' asses every Saturday or Sunday (some even go during the work week), they don't see that they're no better off than the non-christian.
The christian is therefore reduced to a slave that is constantly begging his master. It's excellent practice for eternity actually. Got no idea why so many of them think it's gonna be fun and games. Also this whole thing makes god unpredictable thus making him unreliable.
All that means is the christian is no better off than you or hell bound me. They don't see that their odds with god are still no better than random chance.

I think part of it is they see their reward is something they just can't verify... yet. Of course, as you speak to "practicality", you're dead on. It has no bearing on how things will turn out for you in this life: the really real one that we can verify exists. You're left with payouts and payments that you may or may not have to deal with, all for a very real cost in this life. So, if you define "practical" as "being useful in an obviously meaningful way", it certainly isn't.

Of course, a lot of Christians will agree with you, and then bust out Pascal's Wager, or something, which causes other problems.
28-02-2014, 08:58 AM
TLDR. Xtianity is impractical simply because you can't live your life based in Cinderella story, would you?

I don't dislike you, I simply don't care.
28-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Religion words like a placebo... It has to look convincing.

Look at the bullshit rituals Catholic clergymen perform at every service... Funny hats, lots of specific hand gestures, sprinkling water, the Eucharist... All utterly pointless practices, only one of which is mentioned in the Bible. But it appears to be doing something... It has the illusion of importance, and being part of a known procedure.

Imagine if churches were plain buildings, minimalist design, with plain clothed, plain speaking, business like clergy... That all that is required of you is to sign a form, reserving yourself a plot on Heaven. I'm willing to bet the number of believers would plummet.

Because ultimately, a large proportion of believers probably don't come to church for God, or because they like the teachings... They come because it very successfully creates an illusion of actually being meaningful.

The term "smoke and mirrors" is often used... And in the "Bible Belt" of America where fire and brimstone preachers command huge audiences, sometimes its exactly that. Music, lights, huge production. I've even seen preachers using pyrotechnics and lasers to spice up their shows.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Sam's post
28-02-2014, 05:03 PM

I noticed christianity is impractical. I'm not talking about the fact that you can't live a sinless life. I mean that's like trying to live without...electricity. Sin is just a word with a negative connotation. A concept designed to make you feel guilty for what you are. Very clever on their part because they've created a problem that only their poster boy can handle. Thus you always have to keep coming back so you can get "washed in his sin purging blood". I don't wanna get off focus but I'm talking about the claim that god speaks and how to ensure he does.

I've heard christians say god speaks through dreams. I ask myself if that person understands how dreams work. Then I hear god speaks through a still small voice that's audible. I wonder how many people in mental institutions would verify that "fact". The list goes on and on with these claims. But here's what you'll never hear. "In order to hear from god with undeniable consistency, you must bite down gently on the left side of your tongue". Or how about, "If you need to consult your heavenly father on whether you should quit your job and get in business, you should hop on one leg 10 times and you'll have opened up the two way communication channel".

It's sad really. People do exactly what the pastor said they should. What you end up with is adults that look like a kid that bought a kinder joy treat with no toy inside. It's that bewildered look. The confusion. The frustration. Is this a joke? Fuck no it's not. Now you have to take your kids out that posh school and into the cheap good enough one. Listen carefully. Pastors tell you what you should do but not how. Contrast that with what real teachers and lecturers do. They tell you the how.

The problem is that it isn't practical. It's very theoretical. It's obviously designed that way in order to cast the blame on the individual for not having enough faith. This keeps the sheeple from realising the emperor has no clothes. So if god really does speak why do christians end up getting into some really sticky situations? Why does god not warn them before the fact that the intended investment isn't a good one. Instead what happens is a retrospective analysis of "God wasn't in the project". So then why the hell did you do it without consulting god? The answer becomes "Because god is pleased by faith". With all that smoke blowing up each others' asses every Saturday or Sunday (some even go during the work week), they don't see that they're no better off than the non-christian.

But the preacher will say "In order for you to gain all the benefits of god, you must obey!" Now here's the problem with that: IT'S SUBJECTIVE!How do you know you've obeyed enough to get that vital decision making input from the grand master himself? How do you know you've prayed the same prayer enough before it'll get answered? The answer is simple. You can't know.

The christian is therefore reduced to a slave that is constantly begging his master. It's excellent practice for eternity actually. Got no idea why so many of them think it's gonna be fun and games. Also this whole thing makes god unpredictable thus making him unreliable. You think he's gonna send in a mystery millionaire to pay off your mortgage only to crash the fuck back down to earth with foreclosure.

All that means is the christian is no better off than you or hell bound me. They don't see that their odds with god are still no better than random chance. I'm reminded of scripture where the Jews ask Paul (I think?) what profit there is in being Jew. This was in light of them being told that god accepts gentiles too. So I close with what profit is there in being christian since the burdens of dogma are heavy?
Yup, it's all ridiculous. It's like a constant Pascal's Wager where they keep doing more because they're "better off" doing so "just in case". Even more ludicrous is that many believe they should be doing these things, but then don't do them. That's real faith for ya. Rolleyes Worse yet, some branches of Christianity teach that it doesn't really matter what you do. Your heaven vs. hell destiny is already chosen by gawd before you were even born. Dodgy

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
28-02-2014, 05:45 PM
I don't think Christianity would have over 2 billion followers if it didn't provide them some utility.