Christianity is impractical

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2014, 05:53 PM
RE: Christianity is impractical
(28-02-2014 05:45 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I don't think Christianity would have over 2 billion followers if it didn't provide them some utility.

Sure, it's the opiate of the masses. Doesn't make it any more plausible just because 2 billion people are too afraid to think for themselves.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2014, 06:08 PM
(28-02-2014 05:53 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 05:45 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I don't think Christianity would have over 2 billion followers if it didn't provide them some utility.

Sure, it's the opiate of the masses. Doesn't make it any more plausible just because 2 billion people are too afraid to think for themselves.

The claim that people can't think for themselves is a weak argument. People think for themselves everyday.

As to your other point. There is crowd wisdom. Sometimes the crowd is very good at making judgments. I think you could argue that the crowd isn't in a good position to judge the plausibility of Christianity over say Islam. However it would be ludicrous of you to claim the crowd isn't in a position to decide the utility of religion.
28-02-2014, 06:16 PM
(28-02-2014 06:08 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I think you could argue that the crowd isn't in a good position to judge the plausibility of Christianity over say Islam. However it would be ludicrous of you to claim the crowd isn't in a position to decide the utility of religion.

Then why is it that the atrocities of religion aren't ever considered as much as the utility? People are afraid to think about it.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
28-02-2014, 07:07 PM
Christianity is impractical
Press a Christian to think about the inconsistencies between their faith and reality, and most will simply avoid higher thought on the matter and retreat to belief.

It takes a lot to get people who have been indoctrinated into a system of belief to critically examine it without the assumption of truth.

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
28-02-2014, 07:35 PM
(28-02-2014 06:16 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 06:08 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I think you could argue that the crowd isn't in a good position to judge the plausibility of Christianity over say Islam. However it would be ludicrous of you to claim the crowd isn't in a position to decide the utility of religion.

Then why is it that the atrocities of religion aren't ever considered as much as the utility? People are afraid to think about it.

You could claim that cars and airplanes have caused atrocities too, yet the crowd continues to find utility in them.
28-02-2014, 08:56 PM
(28-02-2014 07:35 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 06:16 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Then why is it that the atrocities of religion aren't ever considered as much as the utility? People are afraid to think about it.

You could claim that cars and airplanes have caused atrocities too, yet the crowd continues to find utility in them.

Faulty Analogy

This fallacy consists in assuming that because two things are alike in one or more respects, they are necessarily alike in some other respect.

~ Umberto Eco
28-02-2014, 09:39 PM
(28-02-2014 08:56 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 07:35 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  You could claim that cars and airplanes have caused atrocities too, yet the crowd continues to find utility in them.

Faulty Analogy

This fallacy consists in assuming that because two things are alike in one or more respects, they are necessarily alike in some other respect.

They are alike in enough respects to make the analogy true. Just because someone has been indoctrinated to only buy Ford, doesn't mean they won't find utility in the Ford they buy.
28-02-2014, 10:03 PM
(28-02-2014 09:39 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  They are alike in enough respects to make the analogy true. Just because someone has been indoctrinated to only buy Ford, doesn't mean they won't find utility in the Ford they buy.

Cars don't kill people, religion kills people.

~ Umberto Eco
28-02-2014, 10:05 PM
I see your point, it just doesn't wash. People are perfectly capable of doing the good things that religion encourages without the religion. People are not able to travel long distances in the convenient times that cars provide without the cars. False analogy.

~ Umberto Eco
28-02-2014, 10:15 PM
(28-02-2014 10:05 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I see your point, it just doesn't wash. People are perfectly capable of doing the good things that religion encourages without the religion. People are not able to travel long distances in the convenient times that cars provide without the cars. False analogy.

People wouldn't be able to travel in cars without cars? That's what your saying.

Some people enjoy church. Some people take comfort in religion. It provides them utility just like cars do. If religion provided 0 utility, it wouldn't exist.