Christianity is impractical

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2014, 10:24 PM
RE: Christianity is impractical
(28-02-2014 10:15 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  People wouldn't be able to travel in cars without cars? That's what your saying.

Yes, that is what I'm saying. The utility provided by cars would not be provided otherwise. The utility of religion can and is provided by other means not relegated to believing in fairy tales.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2014, 10:54 PM
(28-02-2014 10:24 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 10:15 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  People wouldn't be able to travel in cars without cars? That's what your saying.

Yes, that is what I'm saying. The utility provided by cars would not be provided otherwise. The utility of religion can and is provided by other means not relegated to believing in fairy tales.

Before cars people got utility from horse and carriage. The car came along and provided more utility than a horse and carriage. So people stopped using horse and carriage and bought cars instead. You admit that religion provides people with utility. Where you error is in a belief that people won't abandoned religion if they find more utility elsewhere.
28-02-2014, 11:00 PM
(28-02-2014 10:54 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Where you error is in a belief that people won't abandoned religion if they find more utility elsewhere.

Sorry dude. You're gonna have to make that a coherent sentence before I can respond.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
01-03-2014, 12:08 PM
(28-02-2014 05:45 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I don't think Christianity would have over 2 billion followers if it didn't provide them some utility.

I'm not claiming that it provides no utility. It's interesting that you should use the word utility, a vague term, instead of the claimed resultant benefit of christianity. Sorry bro, no sale.

(28-02-2014 06:16 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Then why is it that the atrocities of religion aren't ever considered as much as the utility? People are afraid to think about it.

That is absolutely true! People are afraid to think about it and they are afraid to think for themselves. This is because they are trained that way. You've got scriptures like:

Proverbs 3:5 KJV Wrote:Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

So thinking is not encouraged in christianity, Heywood. Ssshhhh boom!

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
[+] 2 users Like BlackMason's post
01-03-2014, 12:22 PM
Heywood has cleverly given himself a lot of room to wiggle by choosing that word utility. At the end of the day he is not really representing christianity. He's arguing for the sake of arguing.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
[+] 2 users Like BlackMason's post
01-03-2014, 02:27 PM
The christianity design is that of if you lie once in your life you are a piece of shit sinner who deserves to burn in hell and only way to avoid it is to accept jesus. Without this kind of merciless standard you would not need savior. No wonder christianity is so popular.