Christianity is not a religion...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Christianity is not a religion...
Ran across this gem. O'Reilly is making the claim that Christianity isn't a religion, so it is ok if public property contains things that are pro-Christianity.

This is your daily dose of WTF?!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like jaguar3030's post
16-12-2013, 09:53 AM
RE: Christianity is not a religion...
(16-12-2013 09:42 AM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  Ran across this gem. O'Reilly is making the claim that Christianity isn't a religion, so it is ok if public property contains things that are pro-Christianity.

I see what he is getting at. Remember, he's Catholic. He views this through the sectarian divisions in the church. He sees religion as being "Catholic" or being "Lutheran", and in some ways he has a point.

I remember reading somewhere that there was always divisions among the denominations. It wasn't until the early to mid 20th century when the churches wanted to fight things like abortion.

Look at the origin of the term "Christian"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRyTHv54ee8

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Bill O'Reilly would have embarrassed himself less if he'd publicly stuffed his cock up his own arse.

The thing that separates philosophy from religion is this... Philosophers don't claim to know that there is a God or an afterlife. In fact, most philosophers don't claim to know anything for sure.

Philosophy simply poses questions and encourages discussions on abstract or difficult to comprehend topics, such as existence, morality, life and death... Topics religions profess to have sewn up.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Christianity is not a religion?

Awesome.

Start paying taxes then. Drinking Beverage

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 13 users Like Impulse's post
16-12-2013, 10:19 AM
If Christianity is not a religion, then atheism IS one. That's how backwards that statement is.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
16-12-2013, 10:22 AM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2013 10:26 AM by jaguar3030.)
(16-12-2013 09:53 AM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 09:42 AM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  Ran across this gem. O'Reilly is making the claim that Christianity isn't a religion, so it is ok if public property contains things that are pro-Christianity.

I see what he is getting at. Remember, he's Catholic. He views this through the sectarian divisions in the church. He sees religion as being "Catholic" or being "Lutheran", and in some ways he has a point.

I remember reading somewhere that there was always divisions among the denominations. It wasn't until the early to mid 20th century when the churches wanted to fight things like abortion.

Look at the origin of the term "Christian"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRyTHv54ee8

I can't watch the video at the moment.

If it can be considered a philosophy, the argument could be made that atheism is also a philosophy.

Don't all religions have different divisions and denominations? He says Judaism is a religion but Christianity is not.

This just seems like doublespeak to me, and a way to attempt to get Christian doctrine into public places.

The argument could be made that it is neither a religion nor a philosophy, but a cult. The views have changed and re-changed so much and so often from the main ideas, much like a cult. A cult has language and practices that can make it dangerous or extreme. Cults are often described as conducting brainwashing.
16-12-2013, 10:36 AM
http://www.dictionaryofchristianese.com/...-religion/

ShockingShocking

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
16-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Christianity is a belief. It is a belief that Jesus is the Christ and that He is a Savior of this world.
Many Christian denominations share this belief.
But some people may see Christianity as a religion. I think there is nothing wrong with that.

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
16-12-2013, 10:44 AM
(16-12-2013 10:39 AM)Alla Wrote:  Christianity is a belief. It is a belief that Jesus is the Christ and that He is a Savior of this world.
But some people may see Christianity as a religion. I think there is nothing wrong with that.

I believe that most humans are innately good & moral. Many people would agree with me. We, however, do not have a religion based on this belief.

This is a much different definition of belief than the one you put forward.
Yours requires a dogma.
[+] 4 users Like jaguar3030's post
16-12-2013, 10:52 AM
(16-12-2013 10:39 AM)Alla Wrote:  Christianity is a belief. It is a belief that Jesus is the Christ and that He is a Savior of this world.
Wrong. Bananas are fruit. Oranges are fruit. Peaches are fruit. And all together the 3 combined are still fruit.

Christianity is a religion. What it is not is a denomination - just like fruit is not an orange.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair