Christianity is not a religion...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2013, 11:56 AM
RE: Christianity is not a religion...
(16-12-2013 10:39 AM)Alla Wrote:  Christianity is a belief. It is a belief that Jesus is the Christ and that He is a Savior of this world.
Many Christian denominations share this belief.
But some people may see Christianity as a religion. I think there is nothing wrong with that.
No offense Alla, but are you getting your own religion incorrect? Christianity is not "a belief that Jesus is the Christ and He is a Savior of this world" is it?

Is Christianity not the belief that the bible is true?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2013, 12:24 PM
(16-12-2013 11:56 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Is Christianity not the belief that the bible is true?
Not exactly, the bible was compiled in 325 in the council of Nicaea. Before 325 there was christianity (or christianities) without a bible.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
[+] 1 user Likes djkamilo's post
16-12-2013, 12:39 PM
HA HA HA HA OMG this is so hilarious ! its like claiming that blue isn't a color XD
[+] 1 user Likes IndianAtheist's post
16-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Yeah after I typed that I figured there was a good chance I was wrong, but thought it would be good to see some responses Thumbsup.

Either way, Christianity is more than *just* the belief that Jesus is the savior.

16-12-2013, 12:54 PM
(16-12-2013 12:45 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Yeah after I typed that I figured there was a good chance I was wrong, but thought it would be good to see some responses Thumbsup.

Either way, Christianity is more than *just* the belief that Jesus is the savior.

Nowadays it tends to be, however, you'd be surprised at how heterogenous and diverse christianity (or christianities) was in its first 3 centuries. There were all kind of weird and unorthodox beliefs about jesus floating around all of which claimed authority to be the real 'gospel'. The only belief that WOULD hold them together its the belief that Jesus is the savior. They all held different beliefs as to who jesus was and what he was actually saving us from. After 325 the other factions started dying out, being condemned as "anathema" but some incredibly survived a few centuries later like the Valentinians and the Marcionites. Some others came back into vogue like the Arians.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
16-12-2013, 01:02 PM
At the very least, they also believe in a monotheistic deity, most likely omnipotent and omniscient. Right?

16-12-2013, 01:14 PM
(16-12-2013 01:02 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  At the very least, they also believe in a monotheistic deity, most likely omnipotent and omniscient. Right?

Nowadays yes, in the first 3 centuries, not necessarily:

Gnostic christians like Marcian and Valentinus believed in two Gods. One the creator of all matter Yahweh (sometimes called Satan), capricious and malevolent, and another one fully spiritual called "the Father" benevolent and good who sent jesus to destroy the works of Yahweh. As you might guess, they rejected the old testament as a work of satan or completely immoral or both

16-12-2013, 01:14 PM
(16-12-2013 10:52 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 10:39 AM)Alla Wrote:  Christianity is a belief. It is a belief that Jesus is the Christ and that He is a Savior of this world.
But some people may see Christianity as a religion. I think there is nothing wrong with that.
Wrong. Bananas are fruit. Oranges are fruit. Peaches are fruit. And all together the 3 combined are still fruit.

Christianity is a religion. What it is not is a denomination - just like fruit is not an orange.

As a former Catholic, he is quite typical. Many Catholics believe that Catholic is a religion separate from Christianity. They equate christianity with Protestantism.

If you've ever seen "Fools Rush In" when Selma Hayak's character's parents meet the lead character's parents they ask them what religion they are and the parents say Presbyterian, and their response is that "That is not a religion" like Catholicism is.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes FaceOfBoe's post
16-12-2013, 01:17 PM
(16-12-2013 01:14 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 01:02 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  At the very least, they also believe in a monotheistic deity, most likely omnipotent and omniscient. Right?
Nowadays yes, in the first 3 centuries, not necessarily:
Gnostic christians like Marcian and Valentinus believed in two Gods. One the creator of all matter Yahweh (sometimes called Satan), capricious and malevolent, and another one fully spiritual called "the Father" benevolent and good who sent jesus to destroy the works of Yahweh. As you might guess, they rejected the old testament as a work of satan or completely immoral or both
very interesting!

16-12-2013, 01:39 PM

Religions are beliefs, Christianity is one of those religious beliefs. Christianity is by definition a religion, it's the largest religion there is (by number of followers).