Christianity is not a religion...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2013, 02:14 PM
RE: Christianity is not a religion...
(16-12-2013 01:14 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  Nowadays yes, in the first 3 centuries, not necessarily:

Gnostic christians like Marcian and Valentinus believed in two Gods. One the creator of all matter Yahweh (sometimes called Satan), capricious and malevolent, and another one fully spiritual called "the Father" benevolent and good who sent jesus to destroy the works of Yahweh. As you might guess, they rejected the old testament as a work of satan or completely immoral or both

Ooooo...it's like Survival of the Fittest, Religion: Proselytize or DIE!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2013, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2013 02:26 PM by The Misanthrope.)
(16-12-2013 01:14 PM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 10:52 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Wrong. Bananas are fruit. Oranges are fruit. Peaches are fruit. And all together the 3 combined are still fruit.

Christianity is a religion. What it is not is a denomination - just like fruit is not an orange.

As a former Catholic, he is quite typical. Many Catholics believe that Catholic is a religion separate from Christianity. They equate christianity with Protestantism.

If you've ever seen "Fools Rush In" when Selma Hayak's character's parents meet the lead character's parents they ask them what religion they are and the parents say Presbyterian, and their response is that "That is not a religion" like Catholicism is.

Quote:Many Catholics believe that Catholic is a religion separate from Christianity. They equate christianity with Protestantism.
You have this arse about face, FaceOfBoe. Only in Calvinazi dominated America do mad dog eternally church shopping Protestants class Catholics as non Christians. Everywhere else in the world any religion that is bible based with Christ as its focus is considered "Christian."
16-12-2013, 02:40 PM
(16-12-2013 01:14 PM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 10:52 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Wrong. Bananas are fruit. Oranges are fruit. Peaches are fruit. And all together the 3 combined are still fruit.

Christianity is a religion. What it is not is a denomination - just like fruit is not an orange.

As a former Catholic, he is quite typical. Many Catholics believe that Catholic is a religion separate from Christianity. They equate christianity with Protestantism.

If you've ever seen "Fools Rush In" when Selma Hayak's character's parents meet the lead character's parents they ask them what religion they are and the parents say Presbyterian, and their response is that "That is not a religion" like Catholicism is.
I too am a former Catholic, but honestly I never heard this. Many Catholics view Protestants as "illegitimate" Christians, with Catholics being the only "real" Christians. But I never heard a Catholic say that Catholics aren't Christians or Catholicism not Christianity.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
16-12-2013, 04:05 PM
(16-12-2013 02:40 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 01:14 PM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  As a former Catholic, he is quite typical. Many Catholics believe that Catholic is a religion separate from Christianity. They equate christianity with Protestantism.

I too am a former Catholic, but honestly I never heard this. Many Catholics view Protestants as "illegitimate" Christians, with Catholics being the only "real" Christians. But I never heard a Catholic say that Catholics aren't Christians or Catholicism not Christianity.

I come from a Catholic family too, but in all honesty, I don't remember anybody else that went to the same church saying that only Catholics were legitimate. Obviously, there are Catholics that feel that way, but there are other denominations that feel the same way about the church that they follow. As much as the behavior of the Catholic church repulsed me, I didn't see any difference with the other denominations when I went to their services. I remember going to a Baptist service and the first thing they did was pass out the donation envelopes and the whole sermon was about "get out there and make that money!" The people were just as stuck up with their "I'm holier than you are" attitude that I saw in every other church. They all share the same "believe what we tell you and shut the hell up - oh, and by the way, God needs your money" garbage. I think Catholics get singled out a lot for stuff that all denominations are guilty of. They're all a bunch of scam artists as far as I'm concerned.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
16-12-2013, 04:21 PM
(16-12-2013 02:14 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 01:14 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  Nowadays yes, in the first 3 centuries, not necessarily:

Gnostic christians like Marcian and Valentinus believed in two Gods. One the creator of all matter Yahweh (sometimes called Satan), capricious and malevolent, and another one fully spiritual called "the Father" benevolent and good who sent jesus to destroy the works of Yahweh. As you might guess, they rejected the old testament as a work of satan or completely immoral or both

Ooooo...it's like Survival of the Fittest, Religion: Proselytize or DIE!
More like it's not what you know, but who you know.
It was more like, who is liked by the bishops of Rome, Antioch and Alexandria.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
17-12-2013, 12:54 AM
(16-12-2013 10:19 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  If Christianity is not a religion, then atheism IS one. That's how backwards that statement is.

Atheism is however considered a 'religion' legally in regards to legal protections granted and protected in the United States, such as the First Amendment to the Constitution. So in the same way that you cannot discriminate on the basis of any religion, you also cannot discriminate against those who have no religion; lack of religion is granted equal rights and protection under the law.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
17-12-2013, 02:16 AM
Christianity is not the religion OF Jesus, it is the religion ABOUT Jesus.

"And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain."
1 Corinthians 15:14

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Diogenes of Mayberry's post
17-12-2013, 04:09 PM
(16-12-2013 04:05 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 02:40 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I too am a former Catholic, but honestly I never heard this. Many Catholics view Protestants as "illegitimate" Christians, with Catholics being the only "real" Christians. But I never heard a Catholic say that Catholics aren't Christians or Catholicism not Christianity.

I come from a Catholic family too, but in all honesty, I don't remember anybody else that went to the same church saying that only Catholics were legitimate. Obviously, there are Catholics that feel that way, but there are other denominations that feel the same way about the church that they follow. As much as the behavior of the Catholic church repulsed me, I didn't see any difference with the other denominations when I went to their services. I remember going to a Baptist service and the first thing they did was pass out the donation envelopes and the whole sermon was about "get out there and make that money!" The people were just as stuck up with their "I'm holier than you are" attitude that I saw in every other church. They all share the same "believe what we tell you and shut the hell up - oh, and by the way, God needs your money" garbage. I think Catholics get singled out a lot for stuff that all denominations are guilty of. They're all a bunch of scam artists as far as I'm concerned.
It's the church itself more than the members. For example, are you familiar with the beatific vision? Only Catholics supposedly will have this heavenly reward because Catholicism is supposedly the one "accurate" religion due to the Pope infallability and it coming from God himself- Jesus.

I do agree though that other religions have their own variations of this snobbery. Dodgy

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
17-12-2013, 09:21 PM
(17-12-2013 04:09 PM)Impulse Wrote:  It's the church itself more than the members. For example, are you familiar with the beatific vision? Only Catholics supposedly will have this heavenly reward because Catholicism is supposedly the one "accurate" religion due to the Pope infallability and it coming from God himself- Jesus.

I do agree though that other religions have their own variations of this snobbery. Dodgy

That's what the leaders of the church say, but I don't personally know any Catholics that feel that way - that any person that they know, no matter how good they are, will not go to heaven if they aren't Catholic. I don't judge all Catholics by the behavior of their religious leaders, just as I hope that nobody judges all Americans by the behavior of our government.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
17-12-2013, 11:29 PM
(17-12-2013 02:16 AM)Diogenes of Mayberry Wrote:  Christianity is not the religion OF Jesus, it is the religion ABOUT Jesus.

"And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain."
1 Corinthians 15:14

That's dead right. The religion of Jesus was jingoistic Judaism.