Christianity isn't all bad

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2012, 11:26 AM
RE: Christianity isn't all bad
Even for the people that are using religion in the right way can experience negative effects from believing, that we will never hear about in the newspaper. Going through life believing that a mighty something has a plan for your life and all the answers, that prayer works, that you won't be given more than you can handle, that you should give 10% of your income to your church but the money would have been better off used providing swim lessons for your kid, you have to be patient and listen to god to give you answers to your prayers - So people will read bible stories (because this is another way that god speaks to you) and learn about a guy that god called upon to have faith, courage and be challenged. So then that person could conclude that oh god must want me to take that lower paying job clear across the country because he wants to challenge me and grow my faith and trust in him. Come on! How is it not better to live in a reality where you don't have an all-knowing, all-powerful being watching your every move and trying to what you should do with your life through vague signs from nature, what people tell you, feelings you get when you pray, or from an ancient book! You're not going to hear about this kind of evil in the news but I do consider it an evil to make people believe that they have to appease an invisible being, guessing at what HE wants them to do with their life because if they aren't living their life according to HIS plan then they aren't living their life the way it was intended. What a waste! Then you add on the negatives that you DO hear about, and it just reaffirms that it is all around not a good idea.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Noelani's post
31-08-2012, 11:26 AM
(30-08-2012 05:15 PM)hylonome Wrote:  Looking around this forum, I've seen some pretty awful stories linked with Christianity. When people use religion in the wrong way, it can have terrible effects on a person's life and on the person themselves. Not for one minute am I doubting that. I do think, though, that religion can have a very positive effect on people. It can give people hope - the drive to carry on. I think that it's not religion that does damage, but people who use religion in the wrong way. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this, so please reply! Smile
Hi hylonome,
I don't agree. On the face of it, it's understandable how someone can conclude that religion isn't all bad. But any of the good that comes from it could also come without it by other means. Anything built on truth will always be stronger than anything built on lies. Therefore, anything that comes from the lies of religion is inherently weaker than it could be without religion. And there is the harm that always exists at some level when religion is involved not matter how good it may appear to be.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
31-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Hey 'Nome

I like hymns. Even the ones about the Lord trampling his enemies. They often have great tunes Smile I like the community... somehow... it's easier to be friendly in a church group. I'm a suspicious bastard by nature. In a church all the assholes seem to be on their best behaviour because baby Jesus is watching or something. You can have clean fun. You know. It's kinda fun to hang out with guys and girls who wouldn't know an innuendo if it slapped them in the face... Big Grin But it does get tiring after a while... Maybe I'm just looking at it with nostalgia for my lost youth...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
31-08-2012, 11:48 AM
(31-08-2012 11:25 AM)xLegendofLink096x Wrote:  Here is my thing.
I read the bible to learn new things.
I try not to be a dickface to people because that's the right thing to do.
I believe that yeah, maybe someday, after I die, I'll go somewhere cool.
I don't know what that makes me in your eyes...
some people say I'm just a good, hopeful, dreamer type of person..
others say I'm a Christian.
Yes I lean towards Christianity, but I don't rely on it.
But whatever.
That's me.

Do you understand that there is no evidence for you to "go somewhere cool" after you die.
There is no evidence that there could possibly even be a you after you die.

It is good to be hopeful, it is human to dream.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-08-2012, 11:51 AM
(31-08-2012 11:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  Do you understand that there is no evidence for you to "go somewhere cool" after you die.

I understand that, but I can dream can't I?
Smile

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

31-08-2012, 11:55 AM
(31-08-2012 11:51 AM)xLegendofLink096x Wrote:  
(31-08-2012 11:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  Do you understand that there is no evidence for you to "go somewhere cool" after you die.

I understand that, but I can dream can't I?
Smile

Assuming you're human, then yes. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Chas Wrote:First,

Terse and deadly incoming!!! *queue airplane droning noise* BOOOOOOOOOOM
31-08-2012, 01:09 PM
(31-08-2012 01:03 PM)Magoo Wrote:  Terse and deadly incoming!!! *queue airplane droning noise* BOOOOOOOOOOM
Lol Magoo

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
31-08-2012, 01:16 PM
(31-08-2012 01:03 PM)Magoo Wrote:  
Chas Wrote:First,

Terse and deadly incoming!!! *queue airplane droning noise* BOOOOOOOOOOM

Link or it didn't happen.Dodgy

31-08-2012, 01:33 PM
(31-08-2012 01:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-08-2012 01:03 PM)Magoo Wrote:  Terse and deadly incoming!!! *queue airplane droning noise* BOOOOOOOOOOM

Link or it didn't happen.Dodgy

Don't care; had sex.

Not really.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.