Christianity isn't all bad

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Christianity isn't all bad
Looking around this forum, I've seen some pretty awful stories linked with Christianity. When people use religion in the wrong way, it can have terrible effects on a person's life and on the person themselves. Not for one minute am I doubting that. I do think, though, that religion can have a very positive effect on people. It can give people hope - the drive to carry on. I think that it's not religion that does damage, but people who use religion in the wrong way. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this, so please reply! Smile

P.S. I gotta state that I am from the UK, so this is based on religion as it exists in Europe.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like hylonome's post
30-08-2012, 05:30 PM
RE: Christianity isn't all bad
(30-08-2012 05:15 PM)hylonome Wrote:  Looking around this forum, I've seen some pretty awful stories linked with Christianity. When people use religion in the wrong way, it can have terrible effects on a person's life and on the person themselves. Not for one minute am I doubting that. I do think, though, that religion can have a very positive effect on people. It can give people hope - the drive to carry on. I think that it's not religion that does damage, but people who use religion in the wrong way. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this, so please reply! Smile

P.S. I gotta state that I am from the UK, so this is based on religion as it exists in Europe.

While what you say has some truth to it, there are major objections to religion.

First, it is not reasonable. It is based on belief, not evidence. If a person can believe one silly thing, they can believe any silly thing.
Second, it is not only not reasonable, it is often anti-reason. We are told not to question.
Third, it continues to strive for temporal power - unreason that has temporal power tends to be dangerous, murderous.
Fourth, it tends to be absolute. It is the antithesis of freedom, it enslaves.

I need another coffee. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
30-08-2012, 05:41 PM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2012 05:45 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(30-08-2012 05:15 PM)hylonome Wrote:  Looking around this forum, I've seen some pretty awful stories linked with Christianity. When people use religion in the wrong way, it can have terrible effects on a person's life and on the person themselves. Not for one minute am I doubting that. I do think, though, that religion can have a very positive effect on people. It can give people hope - the drive to carry on. I think that it's not religion that does damage, but people who use religion in the wrong way. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this, so please reply! Smile

I don't agree with the utilitarian argument.

(I know some pretty cool nuns, who spend all their time teaching reading to immigrants, and helping the poor. I find it hard to criticize that.)

But what you're saying, is that because something is useful, it justifies a thing that is false, because it produces a result, that you wish to obtain, even if the result is not based in reality. If there were no religion, and from an early age, and people were taught to value other things, and look at the world without the rose colored glasses then THOSE things would bring meaning and value. The assumption is that the false things are the ONLY things which can bring about the result you want. How would they know, if they never tried ? It's like telling a gullible person every day, day after day, "buck up, you will win the lottery tomorrow", and that's a good thing, because it gives them hope. Reality is best, in the long run.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
30-08-2012, 05:54 PM
(30-08-2012 05:15 PM)hylonome Wrote:  When people use religion in the wrong way, it can have terrible effects on a person's life and on the person themselves.

This.

[Image: g8g7t.jpg]
30-08-2012, 06:01 PM

Well from what I understand .. the UK is a bit more responsible when it comes to religion..

Here in the U.S. it is very selfishly abused. I'd say that for the majority of non-believers here in the States.. Christianity is leaving a very foul taste in it's wake... the fight seems to be on so many fronts it's absurd. Especially when it's comming down to the education of the future for America. We have civil rights and all that we take for granted.. but when it comes down to it.. it seems the Christian movement is trying ever more to take our freedoms away... freedom to teach our children subjects in school on science studies ranging from astrology to evolution. They subjegate our right to free speech at times.. they can cry, bitch and whine about anything with seemingly no drawbacks.. but the non-believers have anything to say.. OH NOO!! It's like we commited some crime for speaking our minds..

The list goes on and on here in the U.S. but one thing is fer certain... religion in the U.S. seems to take advantage of the people around them with no reguards to who they are trampling on. They are mostly stuck up, arrogant, self absorbed individuals that have no care for others that don't follow what they believe. However they are not all bad. There are a few .. and I mean very few.. that actually represent a positive image for themselves. *waves to KC* but I still think they are all whack... Big Grin

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes ddrew's post
30-08-2012, 06:26 PM
You're right, it isn't all bad, but it's done some pretty disturbing things, such as slavery, breaking families apart because of intolerance, murder.

If you need religion to live your days, then you need help. I mean real help, I don't mean this in a mean way, but religion isn't a very good answer to anything, aside from "what is not a good path to go down on".

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 2 users Like Question's post
30-08-2012, 06:46 PM
When religion does bad it's generally on a large scale. When religion does good it's generally on a small scale, and the same good could usually be accomplished in a secular context. I think the best thing about christianity is Christmas, which I love, and as I like to say, "Keep Christ in Christmas, because Christmas without Christ is just "mass", and that's no fun."
30-08-2012, 07:16 PM

Hello hylonome,
i gotta state that i am from germany, my opinion on religion has pretty much the same base then you.
But there for me it cut's the bound between.
You like the idea of gaining hope from religion?
I think you have a sceen in mind like a girl is held captive and pray's a bit and everything looks a bit better, hum...?
Or maybe a historical situation? Like, lets say, second world war, for instance?
I an sure the people of london have prayed, while my people shut these nice town in ruins with the VII Rocket, no offence, please.
And belief it or not, my people have sitting in the cellar's a bible in there shaking hands, praying for hope and forgiveness, as your fellow americans bombed the shit out of germany.

The pilots of the airplans from September 11.2001 crash praying into the towers.
They prayed for the courage to do what has to be done.
Dont get me wrong, i love the sceen in armageddon, when the whole world is praying for hope and the president held his speech, i am done, i cry like a baby.

But her is an other example thats allso is very moving and had nothing to do with Religion. Do you ever have seen the movie "Dead Poets' Society"?
In that last sceen, when all the students standing on her tables and salut Robin Williams with the Prase "captian, my captain... After seeing these sceen i needed the rest of the day to calm done. I was 22 years old and a soldier at that time.
I have seen the true drive of menkind in his best manner.
Its not hope, its not courage, its empathie, the abillity to shortcut your feelings and emotions with an other person or group.
I like that feeling so much and its so rare.
Empatie is a positive force that drives people to act of true forgiving because you can feel empathie even to your worse enemy.
The principel is Dont do to others, what you dont want that they do to you.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
[+] 2 users Like Marco Krieger's post
30-08-2012, 07:35 PM

RELIGION basically says "Here's a road you have to follow. You can only follow this road. If you follow any other roads, or even run off the curb, you don't fit the criteria and you're going to hell." The people that follow these courtships perfectly are religious people. They're not Christians. They're giant tornados of buttholes.

Religion does no good. However, RELATIONSHIPS can do tremendous things to people. I've met Christians that toss the word "Religion" to the side because they despise it. They better use term "having a RELATIONSHIP" with God. They don't stay on the same dumb road, but they all have bright interiors and hope and so on. Big Grin

[Image: pBvowKv.gif]
30-08-2012, 07:45 PM
(30-08-2012 05:15 PM)hylonome Wrote:  I do think, though, that religion can have a very positive effect on people. It can give people hope - the drive to carry on.

When I hear statements like this I always think of the quote:

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

You can "use" anything to make your life better. That doesn't make the something any less bad for you. If I told you that Krispy Kreme donuts gave me a sense of peace and helped me when I was depressed, does that mean that devouring donuts all day is acceptable?

And every time I hear someone claim that religion can be used to do good things, I always reply, "we don't need the religious part." Keep the humanity, the good will towards man, the charity for the poor. You can cherish all these things without coupling them with a sky king who demands blood sacrifice and genocide.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 8 users Like Buddy Christ's post