Christians Hope I Die Tomorrow

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2014, 03:18 PM
Christians Hope I Die Tomorrow
Wow, I never thought the idea would scare me so much. I didn't think the idea would make me so emotional but today it has.

I've been atheist for five months now and let's just say my previous network, church, family, friends...haven't been that cool about it. I really am building my network back up again. It's coming together quite well.

But I'm afraid to die tomorrow. I'm not afraid to die for my sake, but for the sake of my family and friends.

You see, if I die tomorrow or contract some terminal illness tomorrow all of my family and friends will interpret as a punishment from God for my atheism and my wife's agnosticism. They take the event to church, and testify that our story is a testament to our iniquity and sin. I don't want to be mad an example. And my poor wife, they would say that God is punishing her too if I would die.

It's terrible that religions work this way rather than looking to reason.

See, I've been pretty pissed, angry, and out spoken the first 4 months I came out and this only aids my enemy into thinking it is because of my atheism.

I just hope I have time to return to my normal happy, positive, welcoming self before I pass or the people around me will use me as an example.

Anyways, that's what's bothering me. Thank you all for being my support since I've joined.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."- Albert Einstein.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Steven Hawking
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes elconquistador's post
28-04-2014, 03:33 PM
RE: Christians Hope I Die Tomorrow
If you have people in your life that are fussing at you about religion---remove them from your life. Unfriend them on facebook, stop taking their calls, block their emails, whatever. They will suck the life out of you and make you miserable.

It comes down to accepting that they will never understand/accept you and you don't want to go back to what they are offering. Just end the relationship and move on.

If its family- then just give yourself a break from them for awhile. Find a way to say to them that the topic of religion is off the table. It's no longer up for discussion.

You only get one turn on this rock going around the sun---make choices that give you a happy life. Surround yourself with loving people. Life is too short to listen to people bitching and moaning about what THEY feel YOU need to do with YOUR life.

its your life---you and your wife live it the way you want.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
28-04-2014, 03:34 PM
(28-04-2014 03:18 PM)elconquistador Wrote:  Wow, I never thought the idea would scare me so much. I didn't think the idea would make me so emotional but today it has.

I've been atheist for five months now and let's just say my previous network, church, family, friends...haven't been that cool about it. I really am building my network back up again. It's coming together quite well.

But I'm afraid to die tomorrow. I'm not afraid to die for my sake, but for the sake of my family and friends.

You see, if I die tomorrow or contract some terminal illness tomorrow all of my family and friends will interpret as a punishment from God for my atheism and my wife's agnosticism. They take the event to church, and testify that our story is a testament to our iniquity and sin. I don't want to be mad an example. And my poor wife, they would say that God is punishing her too if I would die.

See, I've been pretty pissed, angry, and out spoken the first 4 months I came out and this only aids my enemy into thinking it is because of my atheism.

I just hope I have time to return to my normal happy, positive, welcoming self before I pass or the people around me will use me as an example.

Anyways, that's what's bothering me. Thank you all for being my support since I've joined.

You're welcome. Religion is a nasty mindfornication.
28-04-2014, 04:02 PM
(28-04-2014 03:18 PM)elconquistador Wrote:  Wow, I never thought the idea would scare me so much. I didn't think the idea would make me so emotional but today it has.

Mafia-style spiritual guidance. Believe, or else.

I'm glad that you're meeting different people; leaving a cult is always difficult. I wish you every success.

Have fun but do take care of yourself; I think you're right about how others might use your death in their benefit.
28-04-2014, 04:03 PM

You've embraced atheism on an intellectual level, which is great.

Yet emotionally the way religious people think is still tugging at your heartstrings. They want you to be like them, which means that they can control you.

"I just hope I have time to return to my normal happy, positive, welcoming self"

You are still the same person you always were. Take a big breath, smile, and never ever let what those sort of people say about you affect your mood. Don't be afraid to express yourself. Don't hold it back or it will eat you up.

You're not going to die tomorrow. You just feel as though you haven't been heard, because you haven't got it out. Be brave and get it out.

Hope this doesn't sound patronising.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-04-2014, 04:19 PM
(28-04-2014 03:18 PM)elconquistador Wrote:  You see, if I die tomorrow or contract some terminal illness tomorrow all of my family and friends will interpret as a punishment from God for my atheism and my wife's agnosticism. They take the event to church, and testify that our story is a testament to our iniquity and sin. I don't want to be mad an example. And my poor wife, they would say that God is punishing her too if I would die.

You should tell your religious family members and friends that this is one of the things that turns you off about religion. The way religious people pull this shit angers me so much that it only drove me more quickly to atheism. I find it disgusting how people will use the misfortunes of others to comfort themselves with the idea that those misfortunes are proof that they are right and the people who did not agree with their views simply got what was coming to them. If it were a fellow Christian friend or relative that got a terminal illness or suddenly died in an accident, they certainly wouldn't be considering it as any sort of punishment by God. Yet, when it happens to an atheist, they simply take comfort in it and say "See! That was God punishing them for not believing!"

I say you should let them know how abhorrent this behavior is. Tell them to just think long and hard about it. Ask them how they would like it if a Christian friend or relative of theirs got a terminal illness or died in some accident, and some Muslim guy next to them said "Well, that's what happens when you don't worship Allah! He's simply punishing those that are not following him!"

Religious people disgust me.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
28-04-2014, 04:28 PM
(28-04-2014 03:33 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  If its family- then just give yourself a break from them for awhile. Find a way to say to them that the topic of religion is off the table. It's no longer up for discussion.

^^^^^This^^^^^^

Whether family or friends lay the rules down for engagement.

You can say "I love you all BUT since we can't have a civil discussion regarding religion I will no longer participate in any. If you insist I'm telling you right now that I'll simply walk away, every time." Then carry through with it without exception.

Good luck.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
28-04-2014, 05:01 PM
I agree about setting ground rules with the family. For your part do not instigate a discussion. Let it lay for a while. They will see you are the same person you were before.

Good luck
28-04-2014, 05:03 PM

That's terrible! God's ways aren't mans, he doesn't just kill people off. Retarded I say your former church is.
28-04-2014, 05:23 PM

If you die tomorrow, exactly how long do you think it will bother you?

It you're really troubled by it, just tell your wife that if you die tomorrow and the fundies start coming out in a gawd-rash over it, have her send them here to me. I'll surely straighten them out. Promise. Smartass

No worries, friend. Press on.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post