Christians Shouldn't Use The Arguement Of Design

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2013, 10:13 AM
RE: Christians Shouldn't Use The Arguement Of Design
(11-02-2013 09:55 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 09:20 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  We should be grateful and thank him for all he does for atheism.
We could have no better reminder why we would want nothing to do with religion.
Every time Egor displays his inability to follow even the most basic teachings of Christ (ex. "Judge not, lest ye be judged.") in his posts, he destroys a little bit of what kingschosen has worked for so hard: getting rid of the popular image of Christians as hateful, self-righteous and judgmental bigots. It's sad, really.

Have you not actually read kc's stuff? Calvinism is hateful, self-righteous, and judgmental. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2013, 10:22 AM
(11-02-2013 09:55 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 09:20 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  We should be grateful and thank him for all he does for atheism.
We could have no better reminder why we would want nothing to do with religion.
Every time Egor displays his inability to follow even the most basic teachings of Christ (ex. "Judge not, lest ye be judged.") in his posts, he destroys a little bit of what kingschosen has worked for so hard: getting rid of the popular image of Christians as hateful, self-righteous and judgmental bigots. It's sad, really.
KC is fighting a losing battle. My father-in-law and mother-in-law are both nice to me and don't say anything intentionally inflammatory when I am around, but my father-in-law still calls Obama the antichrist, his son (around 12) told me something a few weeks ago further supporting the fact that my father-in-law is racist and it is rubbing off, he has implied notions to my wife that the education system is a fraud and I should be working instead of getting my PhD. My mother-in-law makes underhanded comments too, but as none of her daughters really talk to her all that much, I don't hear any of that through the grapevine.

My wife hates the notion of saying christian too because of what goes with that title. But, in her case for sure, most of her reasons are pretty much her parents and every church they ever took her to. Most christians don't think of themselves any differently than Ego® does. They see nothing wrong with what they say or how they say it. And I don't think that is likely to change very much.

KC is different, but that is not because he is a christian. It is because he actually has conversations with people who hold differing opinions (irregardless of the fact that he will continue to believe no matter what those conversations entail). In order to broaden ones view and see through the bullshit that is your own self-inflated opinion, you have to actually recognize the existence of other people outside your group and listen to them. Some are not worth the time (radical muslims, westboro baptist, Falwell, Santorum, etc), but you won't know that until you see them for who they are, by listening.

Ego® has no real interest in conversations with anyone who claims "atheist" as their title, because he is only interested in proselytizing.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
11-02-2013, 10:28 AM
(11-02-2013 10:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 09:55 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Every time Egor displays his inability to follow even the most basic teachings of Christ (ex. "Judge not, lest ye be judged.") in his posts, he destroys a little bit of what kingschosen has worked for so hard: getting rid of the popular image of Christians as hateful, self-righteous and judgmental bigots. It's sad, really.

Have you not actually read kc's stuff? Calvinism is hateful, self-righteous, and judgmental. Dodgy
The doctrine may be, but I would not say KC himself is.

My father-in-law is two-faced. My mother-in-law is two-faced. They claim sainthood but have no interest in pursuing conversations with others about their most strongly held views. At least KC is willing to do that, and it leads to him not being two-faced.

He is similar in that what he believes will not be swayed by any rational discussion or the presentation of any evidence. So, in that sense, he is also similar to Ego® because his notion of spreading a positive view on christianty is promotion of his group's beliefs. Consider

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
11-02-2013, 04:01 PM

(11-02-2013 07:22 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Still here? You're site must be doing even worse than I anticipated. Can we get a time line for how much longer you're going to linger?

The reason I'm here is because I don't want traffic at my site just yet. I will not go out and promote the First Veridican Church or the forum until it is ready, and it's not going to be ready until Easter. Then you'll see everything change--slow at first and then gathering steam as 2013 progresses.
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2013, 04:04 PM
(11-02-2013 04:01 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 07:22 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Still here? You're site must be doing even worse than I anticipated. Can we get a time line for how much longer you're going to linger?

The reason I'm here is because I don't want traffic at my site just yet. I will not go out and promote the First Veridican Church or the forum until it is ready, and it's not going to be ready until Easter. Then you'll see everything change--slow at first and then gathering steam as 2013 progresses.

Wishful Thinking. Drinking Beverage

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

11-02-2013, 04:29 PM

So we can look foreward to Easter then. I for one, will welcome the Rabbit, and the absence.
Of course we all know it won't last long, but even a short reprieve from the insults will be ok.
Oh the HOARDS, the HOARDS, I tell you that will be beating down the doors to get to the TRUTH of this new church. I hope they have extra powerful servers, so the HOARDS won't crash the site.

Oh wait.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
11-02-2013, 05:09 PM

Maybe you could open a brothel to start getting potential converts in.
11-02-2013, 05:34 PM
(10-02-2013 12:56 PM)Egor Wrote:  
Quote:However, your assertion than "only a conscious entity can order something" is an argument from ignorance. The only positive evidence you can present for design coming from a Supreme Being is to beg the question by assuming that a Supreme Being designs things. Nor can you present negative evidence because, even if we had no observations of the appearance of design or order coming from chaos (and we do), then the best you could say is that we haven't observed it "yet" (even though we have).

It's not an argument from ignorance, but from necessity. Order cannot come from chaos (true chaos that is, which is the underlying structure of the universe if there is no God). To think that order can spontaneously arise from chaos is absurd. The only way to believe that is to change the accepted definition of order or chaos in order to make a theory stick.

You don't appear to understand what an argument from ignorance is. While I'm sure you've been told many times, let me explain it again -- you have to prove cause and effect for us to believe that your supposed cause made the observed effect. You can't just look at an effect and assume a cause for lack of a better explanation.

You're just saying that order cannot come from chaos, but you have nothing to back that up. Calling it absurd doesn't make it absurd, and we've given you examples to show that it is clearly not absurd and in fact something that actually happens. Structure and the appearance of design can come from non-designers. Just look at Bucky Ball's examples (or mine).

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
11-02-2013, 07:53 PM
(09-02-2013 01:29 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Computers "order things" all day every day, and we know from Chaos Theory that order arises spontaneously, (the Mandelbrot set).

BZZZT!
Nice try.

Computers follow orders.

[Image: 250px-UnderwoodKeyboard.jpg]
11-02-2013, 08:11 PM
I'm sure the day you promote your forum, the internet will collapse.

There are so many people out there willing to visit your site that all fiber optic channels will be so
overloaded and it could mean the end of the internet as we know it...

[Image: internet-collapse-1.jpg]

Please be nice to all of us and think twice before promoting your forum.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]