Christians and Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Christians and Death
My step-grandfather died yesterday.

He was a WWII vet, so it's kind of fitting. He passed peacefully at home, on Veteran's Day, in his favourite blue chair. Frankly, if I live to be 90, I'd consider that a good death.

So why are my Fundie family members so upset? I mean, he's in Heaven now, right? He's not in pain anymore, right? He gets to have a mansion and eat popcorn in a heavenly blue chair or whatever the hell it is people do in heaven.

Worst of all, I'm apparently a soulless arse because I'm not sad. Look, the man's 90 and he had cancer. Yeah, he died. Anyone not living in a land of delusion knows his days were numbered...

oh, wait. Undecided
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2012, 10:54 AM
RE: Christians and Death
Regardless of what you believe, a loss of a loved one can be difficult.

It's the simple fact that they are no longer on this earth with you. It's the fact that you can never talk with them again, see them, laugh with them, have them smile at you, etc.

My grandfather has advanced Alzheimer's. He's bed ridden and pretty much an empty shell of a human. He's been this way for years. We've all come to grips with it... and more or less accepted him as "dead".

Yet, we still take care of him, talk with him, spend time with him... even though he has no idea that he's even in this world.

And, when he dies, we'll all still be sad. We'll all still cry. He will no longer be alive, and we'll never get to see him again in this life.

I know you didn't mean to come off pretentious and arrogant, but you did. Believing in life after death doesn't diminish a death.

Likewise, everyone handles death differently. It affects some more than others. Insulting someone's beliefs simply because they mourn a death... is well... silly and almost seems vindictive... as if you're trying to find some way to demean their religious beliefs.

Let them mourn and don't judge them.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 5 users Like kingschosen's post
12-11-2012, 10:57 AM
(12-11-2012 10:42 AM)Seek_Kolinahr Wrote:  My step-grandfather died yesterday.

He was a WWII vet, so it's kind of fitting. He passed peacefully at home, on Veteran's Day, in his favourite blue chair. Frankly, if I live to be 90, I'd consider that a good death.

So why are my Fundie family members so upset? I mean, he's in Heaven now, right? He's not in pain anymore, right? He gets to have a mansion and eat popcorn in a heavenly blue chair or whatever the hell it is people do in heaven.

Worst of all, I'm apparently a soulless arse because I'm not sad. Look, the man's 90 and he had cancer. Yeah, he died. Anyone not living in a land of delusion knows his days were numbered...

oh, wait. Undecided

I saw the thread title and was ready to write...

Christians and death? Yeah! Good combination.

But then I read your OP and realised you were making a serious point. So, I'm glad I only thought about writing that.

My dad is 90. Also a WWII vet. RAF DFC etc.

It's a good run.

Will I feel a pang when he goes? Probably.
Will I wail, rent my clothes and gnash my teeth? Of course not. And he and I, both, are pretty darn certain that there is no afterlife.

I too do not understand why the 'afterlifers' are not ecstatic whenever one of their number shuffles off this mortal coil.

You have my sympathy.

DLJ

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
12-11-2012, 11:47 AM

I'm sorry for your loss.

(12-11-2012 10:42 AM)Seek_Kolinahr Wrote:  So why are my Fundie family members so upset? I mean, he's in Heaven now, right? He's not in pain anymore, right?

I've often wondered that myself, even as a Christian.
12-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Maybe they are upset because we are first and foremost human and only then - Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Atheist, people wearing tinfoil hats, because the aliens are coming for them, what have you.
And everyone deals with death differently.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
12-11-2012, 08:22 PM

oh, wait. Undecided
My father died as a P.O.W. on the Burma Rd at 33 (Aust 2nd 29th Batallion).

As for death, science, logic, and maths does not convince me that death equals permanent extinction.

I'm just sure enough not to sure enough to be too sure.

Sorry about your loss; sometimes a degree of sadness is somewhat hidden.
13-11-2012, 07:43 AM
(12-11-2012 10:54 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Regardless of what you believe, a loss of a loved one can be difficult.

It's the simple fact that they are no longer on this earth with you. It's the fact that you can never talk with them again, see them, laugh with them, have them smile at you, etc.
The very belief in the existence of heaven, a place where you will reunite with your loves ones, is the reason why mourning over the death of a loved one as a Christian seems rather pointless.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
13-11-2012, 08:44 AM
(13-11-2012 07:43 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 10:54 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Regardless of what you believe, a loss of a loved one can be difficult.

The very belief in the existence of heaven, a place where you will reunite with your loves ones, is the reason why mourning over the death of a loved one as a Christian seems rather pointless.
Then why are parents sad when their kids leave for college?

Or, sad when they move out?

Your brain interprets things as a "loss" and tells you how to deal with them. Losing, in general, makes you sad. Even if there is hope, in the moment, you are still sad.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
13-11-2012, 09:29 AM
(13-11-2012 08:44 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Then why are parents sad... when they move out?

Mine expressed their sadness with leaping and whooping

Yes

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
13-11-2012, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2012 09:43 AM by Vosur.)
(13-11-2012 08:44 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Then why are parents sad when their kids leave for college?

Or, sad when they move out?
I don't know. It seems pointless to me as well.

(13-11-2012 08:44 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Your brain interprets things as a "loss" and tells you how to deal with them. Losing, in general, makes you sad. Even if there is hope, in the moment, you are still sad.
Do you "hope" that there is an afterlife, or do you know it? Note that the term "know" is meant to be understood as "knowing it for yourself", rather than having absolute knowledge.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Northern Syria Experiences Stoning to Death JDog554 18 234 13-08-2014 06:41 AM
Last Post: Ace
  So why do christians like secular morality if the bible is the only source of it? Metazoa Zeke 4 79 30-07-2014 08:38 AM
Last Post: Shadow Fox
  Somebody Could Probably Make A Good Buck Off Christians For This WindyCityJazz 6 138 17-07-2014 11:12 AM
Last Post: Impulse
  Sudanese Mother Sentenced to Death for Apostasy and Adultery Michael_Tadlock 8 184 27-06-2014 05:17 AM
Last Post: DLJ
  At What Point Did Christians Decide That The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally? WindyCityJazz 146 2,273 19-06-2014 09:47 PM
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird
  Atheists are no better than Christians gilius2k14 114 1,745 19-06-2014 12:35 PM
Last Post: Rahn127
  Christians feel god more when they are duped ? sporehux 35 520 14-06-2014 09:57 PM
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird