Christians and Democratic Party

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2015, 08:50 AM
Christians and Democratic Party
I always find it interesting talking politics with conservative christians and how they get so angry about any liberal or democratic policies. If you aks the question "what would jebus do?", would he not give from the "haves" to the "have nots". So why do they cry about a couple nickels out of their pocket going to feed and shelter some less fortunate humans? Should be the ultimate christian thing to do - right?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2015, 10:57 AM
RE: Christians and Democratic Party
It seems they think charity should be done voluntarily. Perhaps it should but if these people actually put up some money for charity there would probably be no poverty. It looks like it's just an excuse to not give.
I could be way off though..
27-01-2015, 04:53 PM
I think many of them see charity as the role of the church. Don't let a godless government give people the help they need. Make them get it from a church, and while they're at it they can get Jesus too.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
30-01-2015, 03:18 AM
A big factor was abortion and the McGovern commission. The two parties had less of a religious divide then now. The Roosevelt coalition comprised of Catholics, black protestants and southern whites. The current Democratic party today is more university age students, feminists and activists. The shift to a socially liberal party caused many of the more religious to switch to the rebublican side. This meant that those who where religious were more likely to become republican. Then it just came down to supporting your team. I.e. I'm religious, so I'm a republican so that means I should be a capitalist.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
30-01-2015, 05:12 AM
(30-01-2015 03:18 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  A big factor was abortion and the McGovern commission. The two parties had less of a religious divide then now. The Roosevelt coalition comprised of Catholics, black protestants and southern whites. The current Democratic party today is more university age students, feminists and activists. The shift to a socially liberal party caused many of the more religious to switch to the rebublican side. This meant that those who where religious were more likely to become republican. Then it just came down to supporting your team. I.e. I'm religious, so I'm a republican so that means I should be a capitalist.

*Eeeerrrppp* I'm sorry your history is fallacious and incorrect we award you 0 points. The conservative split happened under LBJ with his "Great Society" and the pushing for equal rights for blacks. He was quoted as saying the Democratic party had lost the south for 30 years, he was underestimating that. The religious coalition came under Reagan when the Republicans were the "Big Tent" party, much more diverse than the Democratic party at that point. Reagan basically used people like Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson to whip their idiot followers into voting the party line, then when those two would leave the room Reagan and his people would laugh behind their backs at playing them for fools. In the end the joke was on the republicans because the crazy christian right wingers have taken over the party and are driving towards extinction.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
30-01-2015, 08:58 AM
The problem with 2 party politics - regardless of how you vote, the wrong lizard will get in office........

(somewhat obscure Douglas Adams reference)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
30-01-2015, 11:22 AM
Quote: So why do they cry about a couple nickels out of their pocket going to feed and shelter some less fortunate humans?

Two reasons, really.

One - these are their nickles. Not some magical jesus nickles that don't come out of their pockets, and

Two - they don't want those nickles going to them, thar, "niggers."

(P.S. #2 is really the crux of the matter with most of the republicunt bastards I've run across.)

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
01-02-2015, 11:07 PM
(30-01-2015 05:12 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(30-01-2015 03:18 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  A big factor was abortion and the McGovern commission. The two parties had less of a religious divide then now. The Roosevelt coalition comprised of Catholics, black protestants and southern whites. The current Democratic party today is more university age students, feminists and activists. The shift to a socially liberal party caused many of the more religious to switch to the rebublican side. This meant that those who where religious were more likely to become republican. Then it just came down to supporting your team. I.e. I'm religious, so I'm a republican so that means I should be a capitalist.

*Eeeerrrppp* I'm sorry your history is fallacious and incorrect we award you 0 points. The conservative split happened under LBJ with his "Great Society" and the pushing for equal rights for blacks. He was quoted as saying the Democratic party had lost the south for 30 years, he was underestimating that. The religious coalition came under Reagan when the Republicans were the "Big Tent" party, much more diverse than the Democratic party at that point. Reagan basically used people like Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson to whip their idiot followers into voting the party line, then when those two would leave the room Reagan and his people would laugh behind their backs at playing them for fools. In the end the joke was on the republicans because the crazy christian right wingers have taken over the party and are driving towards extinction.

I knew about the loss of the Dixiecrats during LBJ, I just didn't think they were as big of an effect as the McGovern commission. Since prior to that the Democratic party was lead by the Catholic bosses. Also unfortunately my knowledge of US history is limited as I am a Canadian. I just took a 300 level course on Modern US history and did my essay on how the McGovern commission drove the religious away. I thought about adding an addendum to my last post mentioning that I didn't know what the Republicans did to draw religious away but I didn't bother.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc