Christians and Evolution - A resource for those in question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2015, 10:54 AM
RE: Christians and Evolution - A resource for those in question
I hope you don't mind; I left a comment on that one. Greatly enjoyed it!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2015, 10:58 AM
(25-08-2015 10:54 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I hope you don't mind; I left a comment on that one. Greatly enjoyed it!

Not at all. Thanks!
[+] 1 user Likes Zoebion's post
25-08-2015, 03:13 PM
I liked that post, very readable, very straightforward and a lovely plain "these are the facts" approach to killing one of the biggest bugbears that those YECs love to throw around...

I have a slight worry though, that's over the planned next post... "How God fits in to evolution"... I trust that that is where we shall do battle. Prepare thyself, Godboy Evil_monster

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
25-08-2015, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2015 03:49 PM by Stevil.)
(25-08-2015 03:13 PM)morondog Wrote:  I have a slight worry though, that's over the planned next post... "How God fits in to evolution"... I trust that that is where we shall do battle. Prepare thyself, Godboy Evil_monster
As the life forms evolved over the generations, god sat silently watching, observing the branching and merging, the extinction, the evolution, wondering what strange new structures would spring forth to solve the challenges presented by the ever changing environment. God saw a creature on Earth known now as apes begin to use tools, and a specific species of ape begin to create clothes and machines and speculate about their place in the universe.
God sat there silently observing being the eternal fly on the wall.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
25-08-2015, 03:59 PM
(25-08-2015 03:28 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(25-08-2015 03:13 PM)morondog Wrote:  I have a slight worry though, that's over the planned next post... "How God fits in to evolution"... I trust that that is where we shall do battle. Prepare thyself, Godboy Evil_monster
As the life forms evolved over the generations, god sat silently watching, observing the branching and merging, the extinction, the evolution, wondering what strange new structures would spring forth to solve the challenges presented by the ever changing environment. God saw a creature on Earth known now as apes begin to use tools, and a specific species of ape begin to create clothes and machines and speculate about their place in the universe.

Then he saw one of the apes and went "Hoooooooooo Mama!" and fucked her?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
25-08-2015, 04:14 PM
(25-08-2015 03:59 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(25-08-2015 03:28 PM)Stevil Wrote:  As the life forms evolved over the generations, god sat silently watching, observing the branching and merging, the extinction, the evolution, wondering what strange new structures would spring forth to solve the challenges presented by the ever changing environment. God saw a creature on Earth known now as apes begin to use tools, and a specific species of ape begin to create clothes and machines and speculate about their place in the universe.

Then he saw one of the apes and went "Hoooooooooo Mama!" and fucked her?
You're getting ahead in the story. We are talking about evolution and the eventual coming to be of the human species. We don't need any divine DNA in the gene pool.

Even if Jesus was divinely procreated (his alleged birth was well after humans were established), he supposedly didn't create any offspring, his DNA was a dead end in evolutionary terms meaning evolutionarily irrelevant.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
25-08-2015, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2015 10:17 AM by Chas.)
(25-08-2015 10:09 AM)Zoebion Wrote:  New post up. Trying to help my peeps understand evolution.

"An organism has no idea "how" it needs to mutate in order to survive, so essentially, its just the organisms that do mutate in beneficial ways that survive better than those that do not."

I suggest you edit that so that it is correct. Something like:

"An organism has no idea what mutations might be beneficial nor do any organisms have any control over mutation; so essentially it's just the organisms that have the good fortune to have beneficial mutations whose progeny survive better than those that do not."

N.B. Mutations in the germ line do not affect the organism - only its progeny.

Note: edited for typo.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
25-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Good science each day helps keep the crazy away.

Anytime you can bring a christian to think more rationally it's a good thing. Baby steps.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
25-08-2015, 05:01 PM
And sometimes, it's not about having a genetic advantage, it can be all about where a population or part of a population are in the world that aides in their survival.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
25-08-2015, 05:51 PM
(25-08-2015 08:39 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(25-08-2015 08:24 AM)Zoebion Wrote:  Rocket, I graduated from LC in 2001. When was your mom there? I have been away from Louisiana for 15 years. We moved back down here almost 2 years ago after I got booted out of the church I was at. I'm still a little shell shocked at the ignorance. I was living in Durham, NC, which is really progressive, so it was easier to have intelligent conversations lol. But here? Oh my...

And yes, I am threatening lol. Thank you Yes

She was the head of the theatre/speech department. Dr. D. "Pete" Richardson.

I think almost every LC student took her for Intro to Speech.

Edit to Add: Oh, wait, I don't think she started there until after 2001.

Quote:She was the head of the theatre/speech department.

I'm curious. You mentioned your mother is quite religious yet she is the head of the theatre/speech department. I was a theatre/dance major in college and all the theatre people I would hang around with (and still do) were pretty much heathens of one sort and another. They cursed and swore like sailors. Some of the filthiest and most profane jokes I've ever heard were at theatre cast parties after a show. Not only that, everyone slept with everyone. There were quite a few atheists. It was great!

If your mother is the head of the theatre department at LC how the hell does she deal with the nonconformist theatre crowd ? Or is she simply unaware of what the students are up to.

Or...... maybe Louisiana's theatre crowd is more conservative than the California theatre crowd I would hang around with.

So, what gives?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.