Christians and the Lack of Knowledge of Theology

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2014, 02:34 AM
Christians and the Lack of Knowledge of Theology
It amazes me that Christians by and large have a complete ignorance of different theological systems or doctrines. When I was a Christian I made it a personal mission to have all of my ducks in a row. This led me to embrace Calvinism and Partial Preterism. My Christian friends had no idea what these terms meant, nor did they care, but my journey into trying to have the truth led to my deconversion. Largely thanks to preterism. I realize now that Christians just don't care when it comes to different opinions, even in their own camp. It's frustrating that people will stay in their box of "I just know Jesus" and never want to leave. Even when I was a believer I found it annoying that no one wanted to question. Anyone feel the same? I truly believe that even a christian studying just eschatology will make them question their faith. How important do you think it is for an atheist to be an armchair theologian in the theist and atheist debate?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes MrSkeptic's post
06-09-2014, 02:45 AM
RE: Christians and the Lack of Knowledge of Theology
(06-09-2014 02:34 AM)MrSkeptic Wrote:  It amazes me that Christians by and large have a complete ignorance of different theological systems or doctrines. When I was a Christian I made it a personal mission to have all of my ducks in a row. This led me to embrace Calvinism and Partial Preterism. My Christian friends had no idea what these terms meant, nor did they care, but my journey into trying to have the truth led to my deconversion. Largely thanks to preterism. I realize now that Christians just don't care when it comes to different opinions, even in their own camp. It's frustrating that people will stay in their box of "I just know Jesus" and never want to leave. Even when I was a believer I found it annoying that no one wanted to question. Anyone feel the same? I truly believe that even a christian studying just eschatology will make them question their faith. How important do you think it is for an atheist to be an armchair theologian in the theist and atheist debate?

Is it really any surprise? How many people can use a VCR without being able to set it's clock? How many people can drive their car but have never changed it's oil themselves? You'd think that something relating to the 'most important thing ever' might warrant more dedication, but given that something around less than 10% of Christians can even be bothered to even read the Bible, is it at all surprising?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
06-09-2014, 03:06 AM
It is a lot like the option to read the book or just go and see the movie.

Most people will just watch the T.V series or watch the movie. Most people do not want to be bothered to actually study or read something because that would require work on their part. It is precisely why no one believes in Evolution nor do they believe or want to believe in science. It is because it would require them to do something that would force them to take time and effort to do and they are too stupid and lazy to be bothered by it.

By that respect, I am just like them. Lazy...at least I am smart enough to realize it and not fall back on personal incredulity or the other logical fallacies that makes them so.....much....like a thing..or..something....

You know what I mean.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
06-09-2014, 04:07 AM
In terms of how important it is I really think it depends on your experience and interest. I think you can be an effective debater without much background in or knowledge of theology - after all Dawkins' objection to religion is mainly about the scientific lack of evidence or proof for God...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
06-09-2014, 09:27 AM
(06-09-2014 04:07 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  In terms of how important it is I really think it depends on your experience and interest. I think you can be an effective debater without much background in or knowledge of theology - after all Dawkins' objection to religion is mainly about the scientific lack of evidence or proof for God...

Since all theologies are patently ridiculous, it's easy enough to dismantle them.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-09-2014, 09:59 AM
(06-09-2014 02:34 AM)MrSkeptic Wrote:  It amazes me that Christians by and large have a complete ignorance of different theological systems or doctrines. When I was a Christian I made it a personal mission to have all of my ducks in a row. This led me to embrace Calvinism and Partial Preterism. My Christian friends had no idea what these terms meant, nor did they care, but my journey into trying to have the truth led to my deconversion. Largely thanks to preterism. I realize now that Christians just don't care when it comes to different opinions, even in their own camp. It's frustrating that people will stay in their box of "I just know Jesus" and never want to leave. Even when I was a believer I found it annoying that no one wanted to question. Anyone feel the same? I truly believe that even a christian studying just eschatology will make them question their faith. How important do you think it is for an atheist to be an armchair theologian in the theist and atheist debate?

It amazes me they don't know their own faith and choose to clutch blind faith instead. Yeah, for something so important to them, one would think they would research it a bit before plunging off the cliff of the real world.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
06-09-2014, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2014 10:55 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
Quote: but given that something around less than 10% of Christians can even be bothered to even read the Bible, is it at all surprising?

THIS! Yes

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
06-09-2014, 11:16 AM
(06-09-2014 09:59 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  

It amazes me they don't know their own faith and choose to clutch blind faith instead. Yeah, for something so important to them, one would think they would research it a bit before plunging off the cliff of the real world.

Too late. They were thrown off the cliff as children or infants.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
06-09-2014, 05:49 PM
(06-09-2014 02:45 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  How many people can use a VCR without being able to set it's clock? How many people can drive their car but have never changed it's oil themselves?

*raises hand*

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
07-09-2014, 11:22 AM
(06-09-2014 05:49 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(06-09-2014 02:45 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  How many people can use a VCR without being able to set it's clock? How many people can drive their car but have never changed it's oil themselves?

*raises hand*

I too will raise my hand on the car thing! I don't own a car anymore, but even when I did, I wouldn't have had a clue as to how to change the oil. I took it to the shop for stuff like that.

As to the other one: What's a VCR? Does anybody still use those? My DVD player doesn't have a clock, so it's not an issue.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post