Christians and the Lack of Knowledge of Theology

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2014, 01:33 PM
RE: Christians and the Lack of Knowledge of Theology
(06-09-2014 02:45 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  something around less than 10% of Christians can even be bothered to even read the Bible, is it at all surprising?
A person doesn't need to read or understand the bible in order to get into heaven. All they have to do is believe in Jesus.

Why waste time going beyond that?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2014, 03:39 PM
One of the Pew surveys in the last couple years showed 50 % of Lutherans don't know who Martin Luther was, 50 % of Catholics can't say what "transubstantiation" means .. and on and on. Our friends at SD have Theology and (I think) Philosophy under "The Sacred Sciences". Of course I'm banned, but I should have asked them what their null hypothesis is. Tongue And WLC is a "Research Professor". What is there to "research" if you declare you're already in possession of the truth ? Funny how they get that in 2014 humans value science more than anything else, and they need to pretend their woo-woo is somehow science based. Theology is the retarded step-sister of all the disciplines. Smartass

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-09-2014, 07:43 PM
If they actually read their bible they'd be forced to see the contradictions themselves...can't have that.

Jesus loves me
He loves me a bunch
Cause he always put Skippy in my lunch
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
08-09-2014, 07:04 AM
Shepele want easy salvation. No reason to dig deeper than what is handed to you by the Sunday school teachers and preachers. Thinking for yourself is so overrated.
08-09-2014, 09:02 AM
wee need a meme for this

proclaims this damn book is the infallible truth..............................
.............. never even bothered to read that damn book
08-09-2014, 09:29 AM
(06-09-2014 02:34 AM)MrSkeptic Wrote:  It amazes me that Christians by and large have a complete ignorance of different theological systems or doctrines. When I was a Christian I made it a personal mission to have all of my ducks in a row. This led me to embrace Calvinism and Partial Preterism. My Christian friends had no idea what these terms meant, nor did they care, but my journey into trying to have the truth led to my deconversion. Largely thanks to preterism. I realize now that Christians just don't care when it comes to different opinions, even in their own camp. It's frustrating that people will stay in their box of "I just know Jesus" and never want to leave.

I know several who are quite well versed in different theological beliefs and engage in a lot of discussion on it. That being said, most people I know probably have never heard to these terms, either.

In either case, both of them have a belief system that is based on some very complex, contradictory pieces of information. Some of them try super hard to get it all to make sense. Some of them go out of there way to not learn about it. At the end of the day, they both really want to believe it, and that's about all that matters.

(06-09-2014 02:34 AM)MrSkeptic Wrote:  How important do you think it is for an atheist to be an armchair theologian in the theist and atheist debate?

Depends on who you're talking to. I know some Christians that know way more about the Bible than I do. I know others that know way less. In either case, both groups will have different defenses against whatever Biblical knowledge you bring to the table.
08-09-2014, 09:31 AM
(07-09-2014 07:43 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  If they actually read their bible they'd be forced to see the contradictions themselves...can't have that.

Jesus loves me
He loves me a bunch
Cause he always put Skippy in my lunch

Indeed, or they can do what some theists have displayed in the past and either outright ignore them or indeed redefine the word 'contradiction' to mean something other than contradiction.

[Image: oie_9101658pvlrOK2Z_zpsd5fb1967.png]