Christians anger me because...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Christians anger me because...
They somehow cling to a book written by Bronze-Age idiots who were confused about the world they lived in. Almost everything about the universe claimed by the Bible has been proven false, by science. It has things like talking animals, and ghosts, demons and angels even dragons and unicorns. There's actually a prophecy in there that Jerusalem will become a dragon's nest, or some shit like that. How can anybody take this seriously? much less base their entire life around it, and live in fear of it. It just makes me really angry, I even grew up around these people and I don't know how it started. I'm really confused about how they got so indoctrinated, can anybody explain?Huh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2013, 10:09 AM
RE: Christians anger me because...
I've been debating Theist friends and family for so long now i've learnt that they don't think.

To them God is fact like the color blue is blue, The bible is Fact because god says so.
Nothing written in the bible matters except what ever their preacher has quoted.

Most refused to listen to any contradictions in the bible. logic is ill suited to theological arguments.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 2 users Like sporehux's post
08-11-2013, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2013 10:38 AM by Reltzik.)
Because they generally fall into two categories:

1) Misogynistic, hate-filled, don't-spare-the-rod asses who would love nothing more than to roll back every advance of the culture wars, make homosexuality a crime, indoctrinate our children with their beliefs using the schools, prevent science from being taught in said schools, tag every aspect of government with their god's mark, and generally institute a theocracy (maybe coupled with the lie that it's not a theocracy) of their religion so as to beat us in over the had with it until we're either dead, or brain-damaged. The former makes us not a concern and the latter... well, I'll let you imagine how that works to their advantage. These are the people like, say, Pat Robertson or Fred Phelps or the pastor in Montana a couple years back who took a stand that Christian children should be allowed to bully gay kids in school, because that's what the Christian belief is about and suppressing it would be anti-religious.

2) The much-more-common Christians who disagree with group 1, and maybe kinda don't like them, but mostly don't give a shit. This includes the ones that really really hate group 1, and are open about it, but don't care enough to actually organize their superior numbers into something that can wrest the spotlight away from them. Numbers be damned, Group 1 is what represents Christianity because Group 1 has center stage, and that won't change until Group 2 actually gives enough of a fuck to change it. Working small-scale, on the fringes is nice but doesn't cut the mustard. And that's why I hate Group 2: They don't give a fuck. Group 2's apathy and acquiescence is what empowers Group 1 to represent Christianity as a whole, and so they earn a share of my contempt.

There are exceptional Christians who don't fall into either category. But they are just that. Exceptions.
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
08-11-2013, 10:53 AM
(08-11-2013 10:34 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Because they generally fall into two categories:
1) ...
2) ...

Or more simply... extremists and moderates.

(08-11-2013 09:56 AM)Lawls Wrote:  ...
I'm really confused about how they got so indoctrinated, can anybody explain?Huh

Evolution of a meme.

Drinking Beverage

08-11-2013, 11:34 AM
(08-11-2013 09:56 AM)Lawls Wrote:  Almost everything about the universe claimed by the Bible has been proven false, by science.

They don't care that it has been proven false by science. They are either ignorant of the evidence, not bothering to research and think for themselves, taking only what the pastors / priests :lecture_preist:say. Or they have seen the evidence but view it as 'evil' and 'from the devil'.

Quote:How can anybody take this seriously? much less base their entire life around it, and live in fear of it.

Christianity gives people psychological comfort and fulfills their emotional needs. Death is hard to comprehend and christianity assures people that they 'sleep' instead of die, before going to heaven. Furthermore, modern christians churches appear not as legalistic as islam and also demonize judaism. Christianity is more welcoming than islam or judaism too. This makes people willing to listen to pastors, convincing the uninformed. Social circles in church make people feel a part of something. This whole package make people feel good and give the illusion that it is the one true religion just because it gives them some joy and purpose.

Quote:I don't know how it started. I'm really confused about how they got so indoctrinated, can anybody explain?

I think grown ups convert because of the reasons I listed above: comfort, company and fear of death (wish I could list something starting with 'c').

For children two words: childhood indoctrination. Children are extremely impressionable. When everyone around them tells them it must be true, it must be true! That's why I used to be a christian. I knew no other way as a child. When I learnt of other ways, I was constantly told they were false. The social aspect kept me in for a while too. I still reminisce of the times I spent with my church friends. I meet them much less often now. Undecided

Music is my religion
- Jimi Hendrix
[+] 1 user Likes guitarist's post
08-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Makes sense, but it's almost hilarious the circular logic that they use. Thanks for explaining, it's always been baffling to me how ignorant they are.
08-11-2013, 06:10 PM
I guess the biggest thing about them - all all religious fuckheads - is that they assume that I am interested in hearing them prattle on about their superstitions.

I am not.

Eventually it gets ugly when they don't get the hint.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
08-11-2013, 06:57 PM
It is indeed frustrating to live in a world where failing to maintain proper reasoning is looked upon as a virtue.

However, anyone who is an atheist for a long time probably has developed a thick skin for those debates...

Regards Smile.
[+] 1 user Likes fredlc's post
08-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Christians annoy me because...
Sye Ten Bruggencate. That is all Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
08-11-2013, 10:51 PM
...because my professor (who is xtian) thinks that they can use the opportunity to discuss how Christianity is the one true religion. Some highlights from my last class: she told us all about how she studied the Koran along side the hadith. How Muhammad received "visions" from Allah over 24 years and there was no central theme, order or context. Allah changes his mind about how he feels about Jews and Christians and marriage to your daughter-in-law. Her only claim to having the right religion was that in Judaism prophets had to speak the word of god and foretell the future and they could be put to death if they were wrong.
In Islam a prophet only spoke on the behalf of the god but they did not have to predict the future or prove that they really were talking to a god.

ALLLL semester! It's been bearable but after our exam this week she announced that we weren't going to be reading from the book anymore but on articles that she has picked - on the origins of conflict in the Middle East.
I'm going to need physical therapy for my eyes after her class due to strain from the compulsive eye rolling.