Christians anger me because...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2013, 10:54 PM
RE: Christians anger me because...
(08-11-2013 09:56 AM)Lawls Wrote:  Bronze-Age idiots

The ideology lasted 2, 000 years and dominated the entire world. Despite there being thousands of other very different religions before it, during it, and after it. "Idiots" would not be the word i'd use.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2013, 01:15 AM
(08-11-2013 09:56 AM)Lawls Wrote:  They somehow cling to a book written by Bronze-Age idiots who were confused about the world they lived in. Almost everything about the universe claimed by the Bible has been proven false, by science. It has things like talking animals, and ghosts, demons and angels even dragons and unicorns. There's actually a prophecy in there that Jerusalem will become a dragon's nest, or some shit like that. How can anybody take this seriously? much less base their entire life around it, and live in fear of it. It just makes me really angry, I even grew up around these people and I don't know how it started. I'm really confused about how they got so indoctrinated, can anybody explain?Huh

What about Jews? They wrote the books that became the OT, and Orthodox Jews still believe that it is the timeless word of Yahweh. Orthodox Jews commit all of the stuff about "talking animals, and ghosts, demons and angels even dragons and unicorns" to memory and they write detailed commentaries on it and then commentaries on the commentaries. Take a look at the Babylonian Talmud commentaries on the Book of Genesis. According to those, Yahweh made Adam out of dirt because he made a Golem first and turned that Golem into a man. Current day Orthodox Jews have serious arguments about Golems and whether a Golem can be created today.

And it's worse than just basing their lives on it; the Jews fight wars over this crap and the US fights Israel's wars for this crap. When you heap scorn on Christians remember where they got their crap from.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2013, 01:20 AM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2013 01:25 AM by sporehux.)
Jews never seem to stick their head out of the wackamole hole, at least not in western countries.
Jews don't try and change public education from science to subservience.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
09-11-2013, 01:30 AM
(09-11-2013 01:20 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Jews never seem to stick their head out of the wackamole hole, at least not in western countries.

No they just draw the Anglophone world into their wars which are predicated on fairytales. Israel's territorial claims are essentially based on children's stories.
09-11-2013, 01:43 AM
(09-11-2013 01:20 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Jews never seem to stick their head out of the wackamole hole, at least not in western countries.

I don't want military from Australia, New Zealand, US, Canada and UK fighting Israel's enemies. The Orthodox Jews are the source of the intransigence that prevents any resolution of the Israel/Palestine problem. I'd hold the Orthodox nutjobs accountable for their fairytales which prolong the disputations. Withdraw all military support and tell them to create as many Golems as they need to defend Israel. Orthodox Jews believe Golems protect Jews. So let them create fucking Golems. Those that believe these fairytales should put their lives on the line.
10-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Quote:The ideology lasted 2, 000 years and dominated the entire world.

Amazing what you can do when you have the ability to murder people for arguing with you, eh?

Quote:Twenty years after the death of Luther there were more Catholics than when he was born. And twenty years after the death of Voltaire there were millions less than when he was born.
-- Robert Green Ingersoll

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
10-11-2013, 08:27 PM
(08-11-2013 09:56 AM)Lawls Wrote:  They somehow cling to a book written by Bronze-Age idiots who were confused about the world they lived in. Almost everything about the universe claimed by the Bible has been proven false, by science. It has things like talking animals, and ghosts, demons and angels even dragons and unicorns. There's actually a prophecy in there that Jerusalem will become a dragon's nest, or some shit like that. How can anybody take this seriously? much less base their entire life around it, and live in fear of it. It just makes me really angry, I even grew up around these people and I don't know how it started. I'm really confused about how they got so indoctrinated, can anybody explain?Huh

It depends on the tradition. I have a special place of hate in my heart for Baptists for personal reasons, but Catholicism is fine and well because they concede that the Bible is not a history book but a book of guidance.
11-11-2013, 01:56 PM
(08-11-2013 12:03 PM)Lawls Wrote:  Makes sense, but it's almost hilarious the circular logic that they use. Thanks for explaining, it's always been baffling to me how ignorant they are.

I can fully attest to this. I used to be Christian, and I employed a frightening amount of self-deception to keep believing what I believed. In the end, I did it because I wanted it to be right, and nothing more. It was a comfort thing. I didn't want to be wrong. I didn't want the last 20 years of my life (at that time) to have been wrong. For me, getting beyond that was a several-year, and very difficult, process. A lot of people won't let themselves do it.

Also, don't forget that Christianity has several different factors all at work to keep people in line. You have to overcome all of them simultaneously or you will get sucked right back in:
  • Tell them doubt is a normal part of faith and not to worry about it.
  • Tell them logic and reason are the enemy of faith, and that God's Truth trumps their logic.
  • Tell them any convincing sounding doubts are lies from The Deceiver, and that he is most clever when he sounds most reasonable.
  • Threaten them with a non-falsifiable, yet eternal punishment scheme!
For bonus points, seed this with teach people when they are young enough to believe in Santa. Reinforce this before they reach the age of critical thinking. Encourage them to seek the fellowship of like-minded people regularly, and offer an eternal reward scheme.

Once you've been indoctrinated, it's really hard to break out.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
11-11-2013, 02:06 PM

Not all Christians were/have been indoctrinated, and some Christians actually embrace logic, rationale, and science.

People such as myself owe their Christianity to a non-traditional set of events. Mine was a sudden, unexplained (Chas likes to explain it) change. You see many of the more educated Christians as not being indoctrinated but actually choosing (or being chosen for) Christianity later on in life.

I guess these would be the aforementioned "exceptions".

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
11-11-2013, 02:13 PM
(11-11-2013 02:06 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Not all Christians were/have been indoctrinated, and some Christians actually embrace logic, rationale, and science.

People such as myself owe their Christianity to a non-traditional set of events. Mine was a sudden, unexplained (Chas likes to explain it) change. You see many of the more educated Christians as not being indoctrinated but actually choosing (or being chosen for) Christianity later on in life.

I guess these would be the aforementioned "exceptions".

Because I can. Because I had it, too. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]