Christians are ready to fight themselves it seems.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Christians are ready to fight themselves it seems.
I had a discussion with a Baptist minister last night when he came visiting and I think it is interesting. We came upon the subject of religious beliefs across the world. He made the age old quote of "I know because I know. God has proven to me." To which my response was that a Muslim or Hindu or Jew would say the same and how could he disprove their conviction. The answer was that they were deceived by Satan and listening to the wrong information. Furthermore, the reason they were so deceived was that they had not been taught the correct message. In essence, he says, they have not studied the teaching of Christ. And if they had, they would surely have converted by now.

And so, I posed a very simple question. Do Jews continue the practice of animal sacrifice? He said "I don't know. I suppose they do." So then you are condemning all other religions as being deceived, for not listening, and yet you yourself have not listened to them? How then can you know if you are not the deceived one? His answer to that was faith (of course).

I then moved the conversation to Christianity itself. I said that the Bible teaches that a house divided cannot stand. And yet, I can name a dozen or more denomination and divisions within Christianity. (I heard somewhere that it is actually more like 5,000+) Surely if the Bible were the undeniable truth of God the followers of biblical teaching would be able to ascertain the correct meaning of the word? Again, no answer.

So then sir, you agree that members of your own religion are following incorrect teachings? Yes. And they are too being deceived? Yes. So then they also are not really Christian? Yes. And you would then condemn the members of your own religion just as you would those of another? Yes.

He ended up finding an excuse to leave shortly thereafter. I wish I could show you the look on his face as he struggled with my questions. I don't think he had ever been questioned like that before. He seemed genuinely scared. I had a blast. To his credit, he didn't try to backpedal. And he only used the faith copout once.

"Your mind is twice a valuable as your body. And your ears are twice as valuable as your mouth. People will pay you based on which you use." - A very smart old lawyer
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 15 users Like PatThePoltergeist's post
07-07-2013, 05:01 PM
RE: Christians are ready to fight themselves it seems.
Well done!

Very good points. Smile

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Nice job sirSmile I love those kinds of conversations for all the same reasons, they are never prepared for REAL questions, and if they are smart enough...when they realize that they cannot come up with easy and logical answers they begin to question their own beliefs right on the spot.

"History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god."
07-07-2013, 07:41 PM
I actually find it kind of funny that in officail documents the Catholic church doesn't refer to protestant churches as churches. they're known as "Ecclesiastical communities"

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post
08-07-2013, 04:13 PM
(07-07-2013 04:53 PM)PatThePoltergeist Wrote:  I had a discussion with a Baptist minister last night when he came visiting and I think it is interesting. We came upon the subject of religious beliefs across the world. He made the age old quote of "I know because I know. God has proven to me." To which my response was that a Muslim or Hindu or Jew would say the same and how could he disprove their conviction. The answer was that they were deceived by Satan and listening to the wrong information. Furthermore, the reason they were so deceived was that they had not been taught the correct message. In essence, he says, they have not studied the teaching of Christ. And if they had, they would surely have converted by now.

And so, I posed a very simple question. Do Jews continue the practice of animal sacrifice? He said "I don't know. I suppose they do." So then you are condemning all other religions as being deceived, for not listening, and yet you yourself have not listened to them? How then can you know if you are not the deceived one? His answer to that was faith (of course).

I then moved the conversation to Christianity itself. I said that the Bible teaches that a house divided cannot stand. And yet, I can name a dozen or more denomination and divisions within Christianity. (I heard somewhere that it is actually more like 5,000+) Surely if the Bible were the undeniable truth of God the followers of biblical teaching would be able to ascertain the correct meaning of the word? Again, no answer.

So then sir, you agree that members of your own religion are following incorrect teachings? Yes. And they are too being deceived? Yes. So then they also are not really Christian? Yes. And you would then condemn the members of your own religion just as you would those of another? Yes.

He ended up finding an excuse to leave shortly thereafter. I wish I could show you the look on his face as he struggled with my questions. I don't think he had ever been questioned like that before. He seemed genuinely scared. I had a blast. To his credit, he didn't try to backpedal. And he only used the faith copout once.
I like your questions. If you had asked me, I would have said the body of Christ is not divided as it appears. What we see in denominations is what I would label the muddying of clear waters. The belief in the Spirit of Christ is simply believing that it is a divine Love that would sacrifice themselves to save others. That's how I see it.
08-07-2013, 06:52 PM
I'm all for throwing mud at xtians.
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
08-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Bah, they kill eachother all the time.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
08-07-2013, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2013 09:36 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(07-07-2013 04:53 PM)PatThePoltergeist Wrote:  I had a discussion with a Baptist minister last night when he came visiting

Doesn't your municipality have a pest control program ? Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
09-07-2013, 04:00 AM
(08-07-2013 04:13 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(07-07-2013 04:53 PM)PatThePoltergeist Wrote:  I had a discussion with a Baptist minister last night when he came visiting and I think it is interesting. We came upon the subject of religious beliefs across the world. He made the age old quote of "I know because I know. God has proven to me." To which my response was that a Muslim or Hindu or Jew would say the same and how could he disprove their conviction. The answer was that they were deceived by Satan and listening to the wrong information. Furthermore, the reason they were so deceived was that they had not been taught the correct message. In essence, he says, they have not studied the teaching of Christ. And if they had, they would surely have converted by now.

I like your questions. If you had asked me, I would have said the body of Christ is not divided as it appears. What we see in denominations is what I would label the muddying of clear waters. The belief in the Spirit of Christ is simply believing that it is a divine Love that would sacrifice themselves to save others. That's how I see it.

"The belief in the Spirit of Christ is simply believing that it is a divine Love that would sacrifice themselves to save others."

How is it that otherwise sensible, educated 21st century humans can still believe this utter nonsense? Is the unquestioning belief in such drivel a symptom of a particular mental deficiency?

I think so. I'll coin a new phrase..."religious gullibility syndrome." Anyone who thinks Jeebus had himself killed to give himself permission to forgive unrelated third parties for being born deserves this label. Once someone is recognised as credulous enough to believe this tripe, they forfeit the respect otherwise owing to them. They're too far gone.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Mark Fulton's post
09-07-2013, 05:09 AM
You brought up some good points, and I'm glad he answered truthfully & didn't cower. You made him think, and I'd be interested in knowing how that might change him down the road.

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user