Christians are right??We should off ourselves??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2012, 03:48 AM
Christians are right??We should off ourselves??
As a atheist that is approaching 40, I am realizing more and more how pointless life is. Christians that say we should kill ourselves, if there is nothing after, are right. For all the atheists that say you only have one life to live, and you should cherish it, are wrong. Why does it matter if you cherish it and have fun, if you don't remember it anyway when you die. The problem though is that we have evolved the will to live over millions of years which makes it much tougher to do what christians say we should do. Maybe I am going through a mid life crisis, but I have very little interest in life anymore. Work is pointless, shaving, showering,dating,exercising,job interviews.... Why put up with it all.Does anyone else feel this way?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2012, 06:07 AM
RE: Christians are right??We should off ourselves??
Wcome to the forum.
This answers everything you said pretty well.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
04-02-2012, 06:17 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2012 06:18 AM by Smooshmonster.)
Religious people believe this is just a test, a trial of suffering and it will be rewarded in the afterlife. In fact, the more you suffer the more you will be rewarded. They have no incentive to live a good life, or to make the best of this.
I have heard angry Christians say: "I hope the Lord takes me soon so I can rest."
Doesn't this show that they're the ones who do not value life and would probably off themselves if it wasn't a deadly sin?

But:
If this is the only life we have, the only spark of consciousness we get, then isn't it the most valuable thing we could possibly have? Isn't it the most important thing ever? Isn't it the best thing that ever happened to you?

"[...] do not by any means destroy yourself for if you live you may yet have good fortune but all the dead are dead alike!"
Hwin, The Horse and His Boy.
PS: Welcome to the Forum.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
04-02-2012, 06:34 AM
(04-02-2012 03:48 AM)satan69 Wrote:  As a atheist that is approaching 40, I am realizing more and more how pointless life is. Christians that say we should kill ourselves, if there is nothing after, are right. For all the atheists that say you only have one life to live, and you should cherish it, are wrong. Why does it matter if you cherish it and have fun, if you don't remember it anyway when you die. The problem though is that we have evolved the will to live over millions of years which makes it much tougher to do what christians say we should do. Maybe I am going through a mid life crisis, but I have very little interest in life anymore. Work is pointless, shaving, showering,dating,exercising,job interviews.... Why put up with it all.Does anyone else feel this way?

That certainly sounds like clinical depression to me. I suggest you see your doctor as soon as possible.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-02-2012, 09:23 AM
(04-02-2012 03:48 AM)satan69 Wrote:  As a atheist that is approaching 40, I am realizing more and more how pointless life is. Christians that say we should kill ourselves, if there is nothing after, are right. For all the atheists that say you only have one life to live, and you should cherish it, are wrong. Why does it matter if you cherish it and have fun, if you don't remember it anyway when you die. The problem though is that we have evolved the will to live over millions of years which makes it much tougher to do what christians say we should do. Maybe I am going through a mid life crisis, but I have very little interest in life anymore. Work is pointless, shaving, showering,dating,exercising,job interviews.... Why put up with it all.Does anyone else feel this way?

I turned 52 back in November, and I don't feel this way.

Of course, unlike the overwhelming majority of atheists, I have a practical plan. I've had arrangements for my cryonic suspension since 1990, which makes me a "22nd Century" sort of atheist, well ahead of the calendar. You can read my story here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/60971827/Mark-...n-Cryonics

My philosopher friend Max More, Ph.D., talks about cryonics in this video:

http://youtu.be/kN_F2qss-M4

Further links of interest:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/57486735/The-B...scientists

http://www.xprize.org/prize-development/...eservation

I have this book on order; apparently it shows what one neuroscientist thinks about brain preservation:

http://www.amazon.com/Connectome-How-Bra...0547508182
04-02-2012, 09:29 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2012 09:42 AM by satan69.)
How is life the most valuable thing ever, if it was around for 14 billion years before you were born. Even if you cherish it, and live to 75, it still didn't matter because you will not remember any of it. If you died at 18 instead of 75 it really didn't matter. Christians have their out. In their delusional mind their fairy tale will get mad if they try to get to heaven sooner by killing themselves. " If heaven is so great, why don't you die now? " " It's a sin. Your murdering yourself ". Can't really debate that. Other than "God will forgive you after you kill yourself". The real question is why do us atheists continue to walk around in this fog of life. Why do we go through the highs and lows of life when it doesn't matter. Why do we subject ourselves to 50 years of work, and then however many years of boredom and sickness in retirement. In 120 years everyone on the planet today will be dead anyway. Alot of the things that interested me when I was younger just don't interest me anymore. You have to find things that you enjoy doing, which i do, but it doesn't mean I care about it. I don't think it's depression. I think I am becoming very cynical now that I am older. Sometimes, I just walk around in a fog. I am like a robot going through the motions.
As far as freezing yourself, you are on the wrong board. It's hogwash. You should be on some conspiracy theory website with that one.
[+] 1 user Likes satan69's post
04-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Hi Satan69

You know, in some ways I feel as you do. Even though I am only 41 I sort of feel like I am in a fog too.
Yeah..some of the stuff like working is a pain in the nether-regions but..the bills need to be paid, right?
Daily things like showering and such can seem like a drag but I'd rather be clean than stinky..and I think others prefer it that way too. Wink
I am a non-believer but that doesn't mean that I go around and think that I can do whatever I want 'cause it won't matter...well, for now it does. Even though my life lacks an overall purpose, I do like being clean and I do try to be current with stuff today. I watch my father and his wife, sometimes they get on this kick where they complain about the music, tv, movies..you name it then they go on and on about how everything was SO much better when they were young.

Well..their parents probably said similar things at that age too so what else is new? The point is I listen to this and I decided I will not engage in this sort of complaining. Yeah, things change and yeah, some things could be better but at the same time I find lots of the new technology interesting even if I don't fully get it all.

Yeah..work can be boring but it is merely a means to make money, it is not your lifes aim or "purpose" to be a "good little drone" like they try to tell you. It's just a job. Keep it into perspective and it helps a bit.

Let me ask you something. Do you have kids or grand kids? Is not their lives valuable? Is it not worth it to see to it that they are safe and healthy? Are you married? If so isn't your spouses well-being important enough to make sure your own daily well being is tended to. Forget about the after life because no one can prove it is real and focus on the here and now because that is what matters for now. Forget about who remembers what, just live your life so that at least when people think of you they're not gonna sit there and say "Geez, that guy was such a putz!"

Life changes and we may not always like what it does, I sure don't but that's how it is...Just take it one day at a time. Don't worry about tomorrow or even several hours from now, just focus on now.

Ok..I'm done sounding cheesy. Smile

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
[+] 1 user Likes Dragon-Wolf's post
04-02-2012, 10:51 AM
(04-02-2012 09:29 AM)satan69 Wrote:  How is life the most valuable thing ever, if it was around for 14 billion years before you were born. Even if you cherish it, and live to 75, it still didn't matter because you will not remember any of it. If you died at 18 instead of 75 it really didn't matter. Christians have their out. In their delusional mind their fairy tale will get mad if they try to get to heaven sooner by killing themselves. " If heaven is so great, why don't you die now? " " It's a sin. Your murdering yourself ". Can't really debate that. Other than "God will forgive you after you kill yourself". The real question is why do us atheists continue to walk around in this fog of life. Why do we go through the highs and lows of life when it doesn't matter. Why do we subject ourselves to 50 years of work, and then however many years of boredom and sickness in retirement. In 120 years everyone on the planet today will be dead anyway. Alot of the things that interested me when I was younger just don't interest me anymore. You have to find things that you enjoy doing, which i do, but it doesn't mean I care about it. I don't think it's depression. I think I am becoming very cynical now that I am older. Sometimes, I just walk around in a fog. I am like a robot going through the motions.
As far as freezing yourself, you are on the wrong board. It's hogwash. You should be on some conspiracy theory website with that one.

You certainly match all the symptoms of clinical depression.

Anyway, what's so bad about not remembering life? People get drunk and have a fun time all the time knowing they won't remember most of it. Wink
[+] 2 users Like Ben's post
04-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Satan69, Dragon-Wolf ... If you don't turn the page, you'll never finish the book. Shy

Hello? Midlife crisis speaking, how may I mind-fuck you?

The ever-practical Chas is right; check with a doctor whom you feel comfortable with, and get help. This "fog" is a common description of a mild clinical depression. It is probably temporary as long as you do not let it get out of hand. Make sure this doc is up on the newest meds - I understand there's some new ones with few side effects and no problems occur when you stop taking them.

However... I know how ya are.... Dodgy

If you insist this malaise comes in waves and you can handle it without medical intervention, then I advise you to take the midlife crisis bull by the horns: Get your hormone levels checked and act accordingly(ask forum member Girly Man), take a Vitamin B complex, get a lot of exercise, eat well, learn new shit -as opposed to the same old shit. Travel -the world is fucking huge, and I will bet you all the money I have that you haven't seen it all. Have fun in your life while you can. Then, be damn proud you will be able to tell great true stories to all the old codgers when you're all sitting around the nursing home.

I would advise you to try to get laid when and if possible, but I'm still trying to work such scenarios into my own ongoing, midlife crisis. I have yet to compile enough statistics in this area to form any relevant hypothesis for further testing... but I'll keep you posted. Wink

I'll be 51 in exactly 28 days. I can only tell you; it just keeps getting better and better.

Smile Welcome to the forum.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
04-02-2012, 12:05 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2012 12:18 PM by satan69.)
I don't have kids, or am married. That was by choice. I was lucky enough to realize in my mid 20's that there was no afterlife. At that point, I decided why the F should I force other people in this world for about 90 years, which should be the new life span for babies being born now. They would have to go to school for 18 years. Get up every morning at 6 am to go to school. Study all day.They will have to work an ungodly amount of decades, and then die, and it was all for not. I went through 12 years of catholic school and was brainwashed by those idiots. I cant be a hypocrite now and have my kids do the same.

The thought of having sex with the same women for the rest of my life is not possible, so marriage is out of the question. This fog isn't temporary. It's been a long time. I just think getting older has made it worse. I used to lift weights, do martial arts,travel, and as the years have gone by they have all fallen off. It is hard for me to get motivated to do those activities anymore. I can try for awhile , but then I decide why bother and stop.
I read an article on yahoo yesterday about this guy getting life for killing this 7 year old girl, and thought how does this sick fuck kill a 7 year old girl. Then I though at least she wont have to live the next 70 to 80 years. Most people think the opposite - that she had her whole life to live and he denied her that right. Then I think I wish I would have been killed at 7, because i wouldn't have had to live the last 33 years doing things that in the end have no meaning. Think of all those mornings you crawled out of bed to go to school. Tired and miserable, but you had to do that until 18. How dumb that our parents forced us to do this stupid shit, and then make us go to church every Sunday to boot.
[+] 1 user Likes satan69's post