Christians are right??We should off ourselves??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2012, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2012 01:17 PM by kim.)
RE: Christians are right??We should off ourselves??
(04-02-2012 12:05 PM)satan69 Wrote:  I don't have kids, or am married. That was by choice. I was lucky enough to realize in my mid 20's that there was no afterlife. At that point, I decided why the F should I force other people in this world for about 90 years, which should be the new life span for babies being born now. They would have to go to school for 18 years. Get up every morning at 6 am to go to school. Study all day.They will have to work an ungodly amount of decades, and then die, and it was all for not. I went through 12 years of catholic school and was brainwashed by those idiots. I cant be a hypocrite now and have my kids do the same.

The thought of having sex with the same women for the rest of my life is not possible, so marriage is out of the question. This fog isn't temporary. It's been a long time. I just think getting older has made it worse. I used to lift weights, do martial arts,travel, and as the years have gone by they have all fallen off. It is hard for me to get motivated to do those activities anymore. I can try for awhile , but then I decide why bother and stop.
I read an article on yahoo yesterday about this guy getting life for killing this 7 year old girl, and thought how does this sick fuck kill a 7 year old girl. Then I though at least she wont have to live the next 70 to 80 years. Most people think the opposite - that she had her whole life to live and he denied her that right. Then I think I wish I would have been killed at 7, because i wouldn't have had to live the last 33 years doing things that in the end have no meaning. Think of all those mornings you crawled out of bed to go to school. Tired and miserable, but you had to do that until 18. How dumb that our parents forced us to do this stupid shit, and then make us go to church every Sunday to boot.

After all the stuff you've just related, I will say that you certainly will benefit discussing this with your physician. Let that person know this is a life long issue for you and as you said, it's worsened with age. Recognizing this is the first best thing you can do -the next best thing is your next step: get help. It is your pervasive sadness and not your Atheism which has kept you from doing things in your life, and it continues to have this effect, as you have said.

I can only stress medical attention as soon as possible for any ongoing issue -I would advise this of anyone- Theist or non-Theist. I do hope you take the advice of several here, and see a physician as soon as possible. Also, I hope you will hang around the forum and find this community as enjoyable as many here have. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Satan..I am, sorry to say, appalled that you actually seem to think that this poor little girl is actually better off dead.

How can you sit there and assume you know what her life might have been like.
Just because you're in a self created misery doesn't mean everyone else is.
Just because you've become jaded and a bit cynical is no reason for you to condemn the rest of the world.

Yeah..school was boring for me too but it was needed. Yeah, jobs suck too but its either that or being dirt poor and unable to afford a blanket.

You need help. Plain and simple. As mundane as my life is at least I have a few minor things that keep me going.
Kim said it all really. Learn something new. Anything as long as you don't allow yourself to continually wallow in your darkness.

I know what that darkness feels like because I felt something similar years ago. I stopped caring about lots of stuff. Nothing interested me and everything seemed like the same old-same old. It really did feel like I was in a dark fog. Though I have recovered, some faint remnants of it still linger. It's hard but not impossible.

Did you ever watch the movie "What About Bob?" where Dr. Leo Marvin gives Bob this book called "Baby Steps". Basically the premise is to take everything one step at a time. Instead of worrying about what you're going to do in the afternoon, focus on what you need to do to make, say, scrambled eggs. Then after that focus on washing the dishes and putting them away.

I guess it's all about perspective, if you think your life is garbage then there is nothing I can do about it but it does become worrisome when you start thinking that everyone else's life must therefore be miserable and that they'd be better off dead just like that poor little girl you spoke of.

Well...whatever. This is something that you must work out for yourself because I know the ol' "You have so much to offer/live for" is a worn out and meaningless platitude. Most people don't mean it when they say it but it is something obligatory to say.
I am not sure what I can say since I have my own ongoing issues to deal with but while you are busy feeling like life is full of baloney and misery, I'm going to go play with my kitty.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
[+] 2 users Like Dragon-Wolf's post
04-02-2012, 01:16 PM
I am not really saying my life is garbage. I am just saying life in general is garbage. If someone can murder a 7 year old, than it's obvious there is no god. If there is no god, its obvious there is no afterlife. If there is no afterlife, that means life has no purpose, and it doesnt matter when you die. That's all I'm saying. What I don't understand is why all atheists don't feel this way.
04-02-2012, 01:21 PM
(04-02-2012 01:16 PM)satan69 Wrote:  I am not really saying my life is garbage. I am just saying life in general is garbage. If someone can murder a 7 year old, than it's obvious there is no god. If there is no god, its obvious there is no afterlife. If there is no afterlife, that means life has no purpose, and it doesnt matter when you die. That's all I'm saying. What I don't understand is why all atheists don't feel this way.

Because all Atheists don't feel that way.

When you get help, you will be better able to perceive this rationally and logically. At this moment, you are unable to see through the fog your sadness has created.
This has nothing to do with being an Atheist or a Theist, it has to do with your fog - you said so yourself.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
04-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Yeah, Dude, as someone who has spent a lifetime in "fog", I hear where you're coming from. I also recognize it as being a strong case of what others have already said: Clinical Depression. I am here to say it can be treated and you can come out on the other side with a new interest and meaning in life.

The depressed person says, "Why live when our lives are just a blink of a nano-second in comparison to the rest of the Universe's existence?"

I, and others smarter than I, would point out that question is answered with: "How fortunate am I that I should have been born when trillions will never be born? How awesome it is that I was born in this time when I can learn about the vast universe and use amazing technology? How incredible that I didn't live in a time when I would have to forage on the Serengeti? So much has happened already in my existence. What's next? What's around the corner? What's the next step in evolution?

Make an appointment with your Dr. this week. Consider better living through Chemistry. Find a therapist and start talking about your malaise and depression. I've lived through the Dark Night of the Soul and I don't recommend it when there are better alternatives. Christians are not right. We should not off ourselves.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
04-02-2012, 01:55 PM
(04-02-2012 01:16 PM)satan69 Wrote:  If someone can murder a 7 year old, than it's obvious there is no god. If there is no god, its obvious there is no afterlife. If there is no afterlife, that means life has no purpose, and it doesn't matter when you die. That's all I'm saying. What I don't understand is why all atheists don't feel this way.

Apparently you don't read the papers because there are plenty of religious people who have murdered their kids under the claim that "god" told them to.
People will do bad things regardless of whether they believe in an imaginary sky monster or not. People kill and abuse out of their own choice be it based on religious or just plain sick thinking.
Don't even think of excusing bad choices on whether or not a personified deity exists because that is just a really cheap shot at explaining why bad things happen.

You are right, life doesn't really have any inherent meaning or purpose in and of itself other than procreation and adaptation, the rest is up to us to invent for ourselves.
Maybe it doesn't matter to YOU when YOU die but I bet that when that poor little girl was killed it mattered tremendously to her parents, her grandparents and others.
Whether I think there is an after life or not is immaterial, I need to worry about this life and avoiding needless injuries and illness. Despite my issues I still find something to like and maybe look forward to such as the new Final Fantasy game or whatever.

Just...just stop worrying about afterlives and quit rationalizing atrocities on whether a god exists or not. It's stupid and cowardly, that murderer, for example, chose to do what he did. God or the lack thereof is not, should not and never will be a justification for tragedy.

Do I blame society and my parents for how I am..Yeah, I do. My parents could have easily been more supportive and encouraging rather than criticizing me or such but I cannot place all that blame solely on them or everyone else either.
I, unfortunately and, let myself be manipulated and influenced by my father's ongoing criticisms to the point that I feel dead in the water.
Some of that is my fault. Maybe you need to assess your own attitudes and discover where your share of responsibility lies too.

Don't blame or criticize all of us "non-believers" for not feeling as you do.
Hope you find your own way. Really, I know it's painful and sometimes we need to just chill a bit and let things come on their own time.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
04-02-2012, 02:15 PM
(04-02-2012 03:48 AM)satan69 Wrote:  As a atheist that is approaching 40, I am realizing more and more how pointless life is. Christians that say we should kill ourselves, if there is nothing after, are right. For all the atheists that say you only have one life to live, and you should cherish it, are wrong. Why does it matter if you cherish it and have fun, if you don't remember it anyway when you die. The problem though is that we have evolved the will to live over millions of years which makes it much tougher to do what christians say we should do. Maybe I am going through a mid life crisis, but I have very little interest in life anymore. Work is pointless, shaving, showering,dating,exercising,job interviews.... Why put up with it all.Does anyone else feel this way?

Hey dude, don't despair. I went through such a realization, but around 28 years old. Then I got hooked on philosophy. Sooooo much good atheistic stuff there. Focus on Existentialism for the meaning of life.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
04-02-2012, 04:36 PM
(04-02-2012 01:16 PM)satan69 Wrote:  I am not really saying my life is garbage. I am just saying life in general is garbage. If someone can murder a 7 year old, than it's obvious there is no god. If there is no god, its obvious there is no afterlife. If there is no afterlife, that means life has no purpose, and it doesnt matter when you die. That's all I'm saying. What I don't understand is why all atheists don't feel this way.

I don't feel that way because it is incredible and amazing and awesome that I am alive at all. I am going to spend the little time I have being conscious being conscious, aware, curious, loving, argumentative, happy, sad, mad, glad, and aware.

There doesn't have to be a cosmic purpose for there to be purpose.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
04-02-2012, 04:40 PM
(04-02-2012 04:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  I am going to spend the little time I have being conscious being conscious, aware, curious, loving, argumentative, happy, sad, mad, glad, and aware.

You left out terse and deadly. Big Grin

(Sorry, just can't stop myself. Tongue)

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
04-02-2012, 05:03 PM
(04-02-2012 04:40 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(04-02-2012 04:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  I am going to spend the little time I have being conscious being conscious, aware, curious, loving, argumentative, happy, sad, mad, glad, and aware.

You left out terse and deadly. Big Grin

(Sorry, just can't stop myself. Tongue)

Well, yeah. It's not for me to say - that's a judgment of my public.Wink

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post