Christians continue to be persecuted.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2014, 04:13 PM
RE: Christians continue to be persecuted.
(09-10-2014 03:36 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 07:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  They can put up whatever sign they want. What they can't do is discriminate based on race, gender, religion, or a protected class.

I don't think that works with a privately owned business. Pretty sure a privately owned business discriminate all they want to when it comes to whom they want to serve.

To my understanding, protection only comes from being employed.

This is what I understand, too.

Also, they can even charge different rates. A couple years back, there was a guy who had a coffee shop who would charge people who identified as liberal or Democrats more to "offset the cost of the ACA". So far as I remember, that was 100% legal.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2014, 04:17 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 04:23 PM by Reltzik.)
(09-10-2014 03:56 PM)hell-lover Wrote:  
Quote:Okay. Let's play with this idea.

You've run out of gas on a long desert highway. Stumbling in to the only gas station for dozens of miles in any direction, you ask to buy a can of gas and some water. You are polite and you can pay. However, because you are prominently displaying some sign that you are a Christian... let's say a big cross hanging from a necklace... and because rightly or wrongly the owner associates Christians with, I dunno, let's say torturing gays to death and leaving them hung up on a barbed wire fence... you are by policy denied service. But that's okay, you're free to walk to the next-nearest station and get help there... assuming that they don't have a similar policy. In fact, they'll even give you the cards of all their competitors within a hundred miles. (Oh, and let's further assume... we're departing into the realm of pure fantasy here... that Christians are a hated minority the way that LGBT people actually are, and that it's not unlikely to find several businesses in the same area, especially the same rural area, that discriminate against them.)

If they had stocked up on gas cans or watched their gas they might have been able to avoid that situation to begin with. Just because someone isn't prudent doesn't give the government the right to step in and order everyone around, especially when they're ordering someone to violate their religious beliefs.

I didn't ask you your views on government intervention in this case. I didn't mention government intervention, regulation, or punishment at all. (EDIT: Well, at least not with regards to this hypothetical.) If you're going to act like you're responding, then please answer the question I put to you, rather than one I didn't ask. I asked you, were you the one being discriminated against in this hypothetical, would you be extolling it as an example of the freedom of business owners to discriminate on the grounds of their convictions, or would you be condemning it as persecution of Christians?
09-10-2014, 04:22 PM
RE: Reltzik.
I would plan ahead so I wouldn't be in that situation but even if I were I wouldn't go running to the government. This is the problem in America today - everyone wants people to cater to them and use the government to force them to.

Quote:The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Psalm 14:1
09-10-2014, 04:28 PM
(09-10-2014 04:22 PM)hell-lover Wrote:  I would plan ahead so I wouldn't be in that situation but even if I were I wouldn't go running to the government. This is the problem in America today - everyone wants people to cater to them and use the government to force them to.

Isn't that what you're doing? Asking for the laws to be changed to suit you?
You still haven't answered my earlier question either.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
09-10-2014, 04:31 PM
RE: Pablo
No! I am asking for everyone to have freedom. Apparently though you people are against freedom and for dictatorship.

Quote:The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Psalm 14:1
09-10-2014, 04:33 PM
(09-10-2014 04:22 PM)hell-lover Wrote:  I would plan ahead so I wouldn't be in that situation but even if I were I wouldn't go running to the government. This is the problem in America today - everyone wants people to cater to them and use the government to force them to.

Hey hell lover

Matthew 5:22 "but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."

Looks like you are going to hell as per your signature line Tongue

uhoh

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
09-10-2014, 04:38 PM
(09-10-2014 04:31 PM)hell-lover Wrote:  No! I am asking for everyone to have freedom. Apparently though you people are against freedom and for dictatorship.

Yes! You're wanting the government to persecute others that you don't like because it's how you want it. Calling it freedom doesn't make it any less shitty.

Again, you still haven't answered my earlier question.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
09-10-2014, 04:41 PM
(09-10-2014 04:31 PM)hell-lover Wrote:  No! I am asking for everyone to have freedom. Apparently though you people are against freedom and for dictatorship.

Yeah you're for freedom, unless they're not your kind. Dodgy

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
09-10-2014, 04:50 PM

No what you want is priviledge to oppress others and scream persecution when told to stop.
Damn hypocrite.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
[+] 1 user Likes Winterwolf00's post
09-10-2014, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 04:57 PM by GirlyMan.)
You know, we have several theists here who are reasonable and pleasant and engaging. Hell TarzanSmith and KingsChosen been here forever and most certainly are not idiots. When I read dildo's and hellfirephile's and other's posts I can't help but be suspicious. "Nobody can be that fucking stupid. These fuckers are double agents trying to make Christians look as stupid as possible." Is that what a Poe is?

#sigh