Christians continue to be persecuted.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2014, 09:09 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2014 09:14 AM by Reltzik.)
RE: Christians continue to be persecuted.
Okay. I've prepared a long critique of all of this, including a defense of non-discrimination laws and a breakdown of the commission's reasoning in this case, and then I realized it was beside the point entirely. What I want to know from the OP is....

WHAT THE FUCK DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH ATHEISM?

No, really. Was the commission made up of atheists? Do you have any information about the believing- or non-believing-status of a single person on the commission, or are you just pulling that out of your ass? What about the people who filed the complaint? Do you know the first thing about their beliefs? Are they atheists, or Pagans, or Wiccans, or perhaps liberal Christians? How do you know? How did you verify? Can you point to a single person, ANYWHERE in this story, that you can positively identify as an atheist?

No. No, you can't. Don't even bother. This. Has. Nothing. To. Do. With. Atheism. You're just making shit up and selling it as fact, and if that's not technically lying if you believe the shit you make up, it's damnably close.

It's this sort of misrepresentation, mischaracterization, and blatant false witness that makes me mistrust Christianity as a whole. While I will grant the occasional individual exception, you are not one of them.

EDIT: Also. Please distinguish for me between, "We're being targeted for persecution!", and, "We and everyone else is being barred from persecuting others!" I know it's a tough distinction to draw. Take your time. Here's a hint. It's the second one.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Reltzik's post
08-10-2014, 09:56 AM
From the article:

"Take just a moment and let that sink in – a Christian business owner is being ordered to attend diversity training – because of his religious beliefs. That’s a pretty frightening concept and a mighty dangerous precedent".

Change one word:

"Take just a moment and let that sink in – a Muslim business owner is being ordered to attend diversity training – because of his religious beliefs. That’s a pretty frightening concept and a mighty dangerous precedent".

--- and it's an excellent bet the author's second sentence would have been instead:

"It's about time".

But no bigot was ever observed to examine himself with the same eyes he views everyone else through.
[+] 4 users Like Airportkid's post
08-10-2014, 10:16 AM
(08-10-2014 07:07 AM)wazzel Wrote:  They get bonus points for being persecuted, although no Christian in this country is actually persecuted. For some reason the equate being told no with persecution.

They've actually found a way around this.

I was talking to someone about Christian persecution in the US and I was rather skeptical of this with 75% being Christian. I knew it was possible, but I couldn't see it being the problem he was claiming. Then, he questioned my 75% figure. When I showed him polls, he laughed and said they weren't true Christians. He estimated only 10-20% of Americans to be "true" Christians.

When the facts don't line up with your world-view, redefine everything until it matches. If that fails, make things up!
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
08-10-2014, 11:17 AM
(08-10-2014 10:16 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 07:07 AM)wazzel Wrote:  They get bonus points for being persecuted, although no Christian in this country is actually persecuted. For some reason the equate being told no with persecution.

When the facts don't line up with your world-view, redefine everything until it matches. If that fails, make things up!

isn't that the very definition of the creationist and religious rights movements ?Consider
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
08-10-2014, 11:57 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2014 12:21 PM by CleverUsername.)
(08-10-2014 09:56 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  From the article:

"Take just a moment and let that sink in – a Christian business owner is being ordered to attend diversity training – because of his religious beliefs. That’s a pretty frightening concept and a mighty dangerous precedent".

Change one word:

"Take just a moment and let that sink in – a Muslim business owner is being ordered to attend diversity training – because of his religious beliefs. That’s a pretty frightening concept and a mighty dangerous precedent".

--- and it's an excellent bet the author's second sentence would have been instead:

"It's about time".

But no bigot was ever observed to examine himself with the same eyes he views everyone else through.

I wish religious people would get the difference between something happening because of beliefs and because of actions.

There's a difference, for instance, between not liking kids and slapping all the children you come across, which is why one won't get you in trouble and the other will.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
08-10-2014, 12:25 PM
(08-10-2014 10:16 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  

I was talking to someone about Christian persecution in the US and I was rather skeptical of this with 75% being Christian. I knew it was possible, but I couldn't see it being the problem he was claiming. Then, he questioned my 75% figure. When I showed him polls, he laughed and said they weren't true Christians. He estimated only 10-20% of Americans to be "true" Christians.

I'm almost inclined to grant this "10-20% true Christians" point because it exposes a larger problem for the Christian. It's that the people who call themselves "Christian" can't agree what that means. The Bible is supposedly the clear, inspired word of God, right? Okay, then why are there so many factions? At a high level, you've got Evangelicals, Mainline Protestants, and Catholics. Drilling deeper there are countless small variations (that might fall under the Evangelical umbrella, but disagree vehemently with other Christians). Could it be that "God's word" doesn't actually provide a clear, consistent message, but rather many conflicting and/or contradictory ones?
08-10-2014, 12:54 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2014 12:58 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(07-10-2014 11:40 PM)hell-lover Wrote:  http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/10/0...n-at-home/
Atheists can continue to try to silence the voice of God but God will never be silenced!

Hell lover! Where ya been buddy? I have been chomping at the bit to dismantle you, I mean debate you. When do you have time for an intellectual review and discussion on the fact that jesus is a fabrication, thus the religion of christianity is false, and based on a myth?

Click the below link and head on down to the boxing ring for a debate, I promise to handle you with kid gloves, you just may learn some stuff Yes Heck Consider you may help me find the glory of the lawd jesus christ Laughat or bigfoot Consider maybe fairies Rolleyes

but seriously, lets do this, quit being a scared little creationist, you wanted to come here to the thinking atheist site and do some drive bys, have the strength in your faith enough to actually stand toe to toe with me and we can exchange facts Yes

Anyone can troll an opposing view's website and sling BS, come into a room where only you and I can talk, and we can probe each other's knowledge. I bet my left testicle I may know more about the basis of your faith then you Big Grin Wanna talk bible? oh please open that pandora's box up, want to discuss philosophical theories of the existence of god? bring it, want to play "wouldn't it be cool if" thoughts? sure, why not.

Come at me bro Yes

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...o-a-debate

[Image: wgwyvm.jpg]

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
08-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Yep they're persecuted when they cant teach bible in sxhool.

Ugh
Same ol same ol

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
08-10-2014, 01:20 PM
(08-10-2014 01:04 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Yep they're persecuted when they cant teach bible in sxhool.

Ugh
Same ol same ol

yes their persecuted for breaking the LAW

and their complaining on the grounds of what ? the law forbids their bigotry ?
08-10-2014, 01:43 PM
(08-10-2014 01:04 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Yep they're persecuted when they cant teach bible in sxhool.

Ugh
Same ol same ol

They are allowed to teach it as mythology and as cultural literature. Notice how they don't do this since then people would KNOW what's in that book.
[+] 2 users Like natachan's post