Christians continue to be persecuted.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2014, 01:45 PM
RE: Christians continue to be persecuted.
(09-10-2014 12:53 PM)Impulse Wrote:  ... bigotry will never be in the Constitution...

*cough*threefifthscompromise*cough*
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Reltzik's post
09-10-2014, 02:10 PM
(09-10-2014 01:45 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 12:53 PM)Impulse Wrote:  ... bigotry will never be in the Constitution...

*cough*threefifthscompromise*cough*

Forgive me for not being precise enough. I meant he will never be successful in introducing bigotry to the current Constitution and its amendments. (The three fifths compromise is past bigotry which has since been superseded by the 14th amendment, effectively eliminating it.) Perhaps I should have said "bigotry will never again be in the Constitution".

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
09-10-2014, 02:34 PM
(09-10-2014 02:10 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 01:45 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  *cough*threefifthscompromise*cough*

Forgive me for not being precise enough. I meant he will never be successful in introducing bigotry to the current Constitution and its amendments. (The three fifths compromise is past bigotry which has since been superseded by the 14th amendment, effectively eliminating it.) Perhaps I should have said "bigotry will never again be in the Constitution".

I wouldn't be so sure. If the "moral majority" or whatever they call themselves these days ever gets control of the government, nothing would surprise me.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
09-10-2014, 02:59 PM
(09-10-2014 02:34 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I wouldn't be so sure. If the "moral majority" or whatever they call themselves these days ever gets control of the government, nothing would surprise me.

It would me.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
09-10-2014, 03:00 PM
(09-10-2014 02:34 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 02:10 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Forgive me for not being precise enough. I meant he will never be successful in introducing bigotry to the current Constitution and its amendments. (The three fifths compromise is past bigotry which has since been superseded by the 14th amendment, effectively eliminating it.) Perhaps I should have said "bigotry will never again be in the Constitution".

I wouldn't be so sure. If the "moral majority" or whatever they call themselves these days ever gets control of the government, nothing would surprise me.

Well the misnamed moral majority has never been either. So there's that.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
09-10-2014, 03:02 PM
(08-10-2014 07:24 PM)hell-lover Wrote:  So what about the signs in some businesses saying that they can refuse service to anyone? Are they against the law?

Discriminating stopped being okay since those Jim Crow laws were repealed.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
09-10-2014, 03:36 PM
(08-10-2014 07:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 07:24 PM)hell-lover Wrote:  So what about the signs in some businesses saying that they can refuse service to anyone? Are they against the law?

They can put up whatever sign they want. What they can't do is discriminate based on race, gender, religion, or a protected class.

I don't think that works with a privately owned business. Pretty sure a privately owned business discriminate all they want to when it comes to whom they want to serve.

To my understanding, protection only comes from being employed.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
09-10-2014, 03:56 PM
RE: Reltzik
Quote:Okay. Let's play with this idea.

You've run out of gas on a long desert highway. Stumbling in to the only gas station for dozens of miles in any direction, you ask to buy a can of gas and some water. You are polite and you can pay. However, because you are prominently displaying some sign that you are a Christian... let's say a big cross hanging from a necklace... and because rightly or wrongly the owner associates Christians with, I dunno, let's say torturing gays to death and leaving them hung up on a barbed wire fence... you are by policy denied service. But that's okay, you're free to walk to the next-nearest station and get help there... assuming that they don't have a similar policy. In fact, they'll even give you the cards of all their competitors within a hundred miles. (Oh, and let's further assume... we're departing into the realm of pure fantasy here... that Christians are a hated minority the way that LGBT people actually are, and that it's not unlikely to find several businesses in the same area, especially the same rural area, that discriminate against them.)

If they had stocked up on gas cans or watched their gas they might have been able to avoid that situation to begin with. Just because someone isn't prudent doesn't give the government the right to step in and order everyone around, especially when they're ordering someone to violate their religious beliefs.

Quote:The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Psalm 14:1
09-10-2014, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 04:17 PM by pablo.)
(09-10-2014 03:56 PM)hell-lover Wrote:  

You've run out of gas on a long desert highway. Stumbling in to the only gas station for dozens of miles in any direction, you ask to buy a can of gas and some water. You are polite and you can pay. However, because you are prominently displaying some sign that you are a Christian... let's say a big cross hanging from a necklace... and because rightly or wrongly the owner associates Christians with, I dunno, let's say torturing gays to death and leaving them hung up on a barbed wire fence... you are by policy denied service. But that's okay, you're free to walk to the next-nearest station and get help there... assuming that they don't have a similar policy. In fact, they'll even give you the cards of all their competitors within a hundred miles. (Oh, and let's further assume... we're departing into the realm of pure fantasy here... that Christians are a hated minority the way that LGBT people actually are, and that it's not unlikely to find several businesses in the same area, especially the same rural area, that discriminate against them.)

If they had stocked up on gas cans or watched their gas they might have been able to avoid that situation to begin with. Just because someone isn't prudent doesn't give the government the right to step in and order everyone around, especially when they're ordering someone to violate their religious beliefs.

Would you still hate gays if your religion didn't tell you to? Consider
If so, why?
09-10-2014, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 04:44 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(09-10-2014 03:56 PM)hell-lover Wrote:  

It is 2014 hell-lover, you need to realize that as a society, we have actually evolved. I know you enjoy staying stuck in 1840 or whatever ridiculous decade makes you feel comfy being an ignorant uneducated bigot, but here in America that isn't accepted or desired. But thank you for yet another example of why religion needs to be made illegal, it just fosters ignorance and bigotry. You present the very attitude that needs to be removed from this great country, and all others as well. Your "My made up fabricated delusion is the only way to think and if you don't fall in line, stand by for ....." yeah.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post