Christians debating Christians: some hidden gems

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2014, 12:54 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2014 12:58 AM by sporehux.)
Christians debating Christians: some hidden gems
I've noticed many of us overlook, the Christian v Christian topics and arguments, live debates that get around, we stick mostly to us vs them presentations.

I find it fascinating when you can see some of them centrifuging out to the edge of reason, and are only a light bulb moment away from destroying their own faith.
but mostly its crazy vs crazy. and oh how they lie to each other and buy each others lies because to debunk one would debunk the other.

Should Christians obey the Ten Commandments?: Christians and the Old Testament law

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like sporehux's post
01-05-2014, 01:03 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2014 01:08 AM by Vosur.)
RE: Christians debating Christians: some hidden gems
I like Hugh Ross' explanation as to why we know how old the Earth and universe are in the second video; it was articulated very well. Smartass

Edit: Here's the segment I'm referring to:

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
01-05-2014, 01:34 AM
I still do this day have no idea how people can buy into Kent's bullshit. That guy is just... man... just his gestures and mannerisms come off as incredibly dishonest lol. He's like the swindler used cars salesman and only the super gullible buy into it.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
01-05-2014, 03:03 AM
I feel embarrassed for them; I feel embarrassed for me watching them.

They're extraterrestrials right?

Great vids., watching these guys slam each other perks me up.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
01-05-2014, 03:15 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2014 03:24 AM by sporehux.)
WLC :
"over half of evangelical pastors believe the universe is less than 10 thousand years old. Dr. Craig calls this 'hugely embarrassing' and 'shocking.'"

Theist complaining about Ken Hams literalism:

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
01-05-2014, 06:02 AM
I remember reading something similar for the first time. My wife had recently read Rob Bell's Love Wins. One of the main points of the book is that there is no hell, everyone goes to heaven, "hell" is more of how you perceive heaven (picture Hitler first arriving at heaven and seeing Jews there), and the literal hell was a garbage dump outside of Jerusalem that Jesus loved to mention in metaphors.

Now, to get to that particular stance, Bell has to cherry pick which portions of the Bible are literal or metaphorical, utilize an esoteric verse in Joshua about Hinnom, and rely on the writings of a twelfth century rabbi (which don't appear to be corroborated anywhere else).

So, I decided to read some reviews on the book online, because I was curious how it was received in the Christian community; it was a very love-hate sort of thing. I found it very funny that the biggest complaint could be paraphrased as "Bell's work doesn't have any evidence supporting it and involves cherry picking the Bible, so it shouldn't be believed".

Christian pot, meet Christian kettle. Please note that you're the exact same color.
01-05-2014, 06:59 AM
When I debate another Christian, I always remain calm. I use the Bible, history, language, and context to prove my points. Inevitably, the Christian gets mad at me, tells me I'm wrong, and storms off.

Has happened every time.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
01-05-2014, 08:03 AM
(01-05-2014 06:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  When I debate another Christian, I always remain calm. I use the Bible, history, language, and context to prove my points. Inevitably, the Christian gets mad at me, tells me I'm wrong, and storms off.

Has happened every time.

Funny, when I was a believer that is how my discussions went also.
01-05-2014, 08:33 AM
(01-05-2014 06:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  When I debate another Christian, I always remain calm. I use the Bible, history, language, and context to prove my points. Inevitably, the Christian gets mad at me, tells me I'm wrong, and storms off.

Has happened every time.

Because every believer feels they are special, and that their emotional and cultural ideas are the only ones that are correct. It is simple human traits involved here and no supernatural or divine workings anywhere to be found. Talking to other christians should raise a flag in that christian's mind, which sends the message "we are all wrapped up in our own fantasy".

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
01-05-2014, 08:34 AM
God talks to that person, after all. They have a personal relationship with God. God wouldn't steer them wrong. Right?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.