Christians feel god more when they are duped ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2014, 11:43 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2014 11:47 PM by sporehux.)
Christians feel god more when they are duped ?
Stumbled upon:

Christians were asked to listen to prayers being read by three different people who, they were told, were a non-Christian, an ordinary Christian, and a Christian 'known for his healing powers'. When in fact, they were all ordinary Christians...

Just telling them that someone has healing powers makes them think that they are highly charismatic, Brain scans show a switch, What's more,
they didn't feel God's presence in the prayers read by the person they were told was a non-Christian.

http://epiphenom.fieldofscience.com/2010...igion.html

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like sporehux's post
12-06-2014, 12:58 AM
RE: Christians feel god more when they are duped ?
tha's jus' 'cause Gawd knose whin your fakin' it.

Tongue

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
12-06-2014, 03:02 AM
(12-06-2014 12:58 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  tha's jus' 'cause Gawd knose whin your fakin' it.

Tongue

I guess you cant blind test for god as he is all seeing and shit.
Interesting that when they feel God it results In a part of the brain turning off rather then on.

[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
12-06-2014, 06:12 AM
This could probably be summed up as Christians feel God more because confirmation bias. At least, it makes sense to me. I know when I was still Christian, I would "feel God" the most if I were doing a good job convincing myself that I was right.

I was wondering if the article would point to something like that, but it appears to be linked to a decrease in function of the decision-making part of the brain.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
12-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Sooooooo....."feeling gawd" is a clear sign of an important part of ones brain having shut down.

Got it!

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 3 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
12-06-2014, 05:57 PM
Peace be upon the mighty placebo.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-06-2014, 06:43 PM
(11-06-2014 11:43 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Stumbled upon:

Christians were asked to listen to prayers being read by three different people who, they were told, were a non-Christian, an ordinary Christian, and a Christian 'known for his healing powers'. When in fact, they were all ordinary Christians...

Just telling them that someone has healing powers makes them think that they are highly charismatic, Brain scans show a switch, What's more,
they didn't feel God's presence in the prayers read by the person they were told was a non-Christian.

Christians will always twist things into what they want it to be in order to comfort themselves that they are practicing the right religion and their god is looking out for them. If an atheist's house gets blown away by a tornado, then they will say that the atheist was being punished by their god for being an atheist. If their house gets blown away by a tornado, then they thank their god for them being alive. You just can't win.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
12-06-2014, 06:50 PM

A child is scared of something in the dark that is not there. It's the same thing. So what?
12-06-2014, 07:05 PM
(12-06-2014 06:50 PM)childeye Wrote:  

A child is scared of something in the dark that is not there. It's the same thing. So what?

So is that proof there is a bogeyman ?

12-06-2014, 07:08 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2014 07:38 PM by childeye.)
(12-06-2014 07:05 PM)sporehux Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 06:50 PM)childeye Wrote:  A child is scared of something in the dark that is not there. It's the same thing. So what?

So is that proof there is a bogeyman ?
It's proof that what people believe creates certain accompanying emotions. So what's new about that?