Christians must follow the old testament.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2014, 05:29 PM
RE: Christians must follow the old testament.
(22-03-2014 05:22 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  So where does it say that in the book? Cause it seems that you are just cherry picking.

Where does it say what?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2014, 05:44 PM
(22-03-2014 05:28 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 07:58 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  This is too rich. So your apologetic is to argue about the semantics of the English translation, try to argue (and terribly I might add) that a statement that means 'two or more' should instead be read as 'only two', then selectively pick which of the only two OT laws you just happen to like. All of this of course assuming that Jesus existed, and that Paul actually happened to write this letter, and that even this is an accurate conveyance of his meaning. Color me not impressed. Facepalm

I am not trying to impress you. You think too highly of yourself.

Secondly, I was agreeing with what the gentleman said, i.e. that the OT is the first portion of the Bible and that it contains laws we should follow.

That is what the gentleman said first. I just agreed with him.

(22-03-2014 07:58 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Even then, you still fail to establish his reasoning to sufficiently support your subjective personal interpretation over any other; as in you have no better argument than someone arguing for the inclusion of addition OT laws, or different OT laws.

Of course I do. I have the New Testament to use as my support.

(22-03-2014 07:58 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Who gets to pick which ones though? You've yet to establish the justification for being selective in the application of the Law, nor under which criteria are OT laws vetted for inclusion or rejection.

My justification is found in the teachings of Christ and the apostles.

(22-03-2014 07:58 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  It's real simple dumbass. Nothing written in the Gospels can be authentically attributed to anybody. You cannot take the Gospels as the word of Paul, God, Jesus, or anybody else. This simple fact subsumes all others, no matter how many layers above this you may be arguing. Sometimes it's funny to argue within the Bible to show contradictions to those who buy into it, but that's doesn't make the bible any less full of shit.

So arguing about what Paul or Jesus said is a pointless he-said-she-said battle using millennia old hearsay, because you're not actually arguing over what they said. You're arguing over what you think was attributed to them decades (if not centuries) after the 'fact', accounts that were transcribed by non-eyewitnesses in a language (Greek) other than what was originally spoken (Hebrew, Aramaic), and for which we lack the originals (autographs) and instead only have copies of copies of copies, for which we have clear evidence of both mistranslation, interpolation, and purposeful editing for temporal gain.

So do tell what Jesus (assuming he even existed as described) or Paul said about anything... Laugh out load

Then no atheist here who agrees with you should use the bible as support for their argument.

Debate these guys. If you can you have a true understanding of the bible seeing as these guys only use bible verses to argue the bible. Laugh out load

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
22-03-2014, 05:47 PM
(22-03-2014 05:29 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 05:22 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  So where does it say that in the book? Cause it seems that you are just cherry picking.

Where does it say what?

That you can pick and choose which laws still apply. Cause seems to me there is 1 very relevant passage in whether the Law and the Prophets still apply if you buy into this cult.

Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
22-03-2014, 05:49 PM
(22-03-2014 05:47 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 05:29 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Where does it say what?

That you can pick and choose which laws still apply. Cause seems to me there is 1 very relevant passage in whether the Law and the Prophets still apply if you buy into this cult.

Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.

That is one verse out of the gospel of Matthew. There are other letters, ancient biographies, and personal correspondences in the New Testament besides this one by Matthew.

Are you familiar with any of the others that speak of the Law?
22-03-2014, 05:51 PM
(22-03-2014 05:44 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Debate these guys. If you can you have a true understanding of the bible seeing as these guys only use bible verses to argue the bible. Laugh out load

Do you think you are able to defend your views in a 1 on 1 with me in the ring?
22-03-2014, 05:55 PM
(22-03-2014 05:51 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 05:44 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Debate these guys. If you can you have a true understanding of the bible seeing as these guys only use bible verses to argue the bible. Laugh out load

Do you think you are able to defend your views in a 1 on 1 with me in the ring?

Sure, but I won't because:

You have not published evidence of god in peer review

You have not shown what makes your god so special(the sacrafice doesn't count, it is no different then saying hinduism is true because it is the only religion were you can achieve krishna conciseness

You have not gotten rid of other biblical worshiping denominations besides your own(i.e the black hebrew israelites)

Also I only debate science. It is my job for science education not deconverting people from Islam, or Sikhism, or Hinduism or what ever.Drinking Beverage

22-03-2014, 05:59 PM
(22-03-2014 05:49 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 05:47 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  That you can pick and choose which laws still apply. Cause seems to me there is 1 very relevant passage in whether the Law and the Prophets still apply if you buy into this cult.

That is one verse out of the gospel of Matthew. There are other letters, ancient biographies, and personal correspondences in the New Testament besides this one by Matthew.

Are you familiar with any of the others that speak of the Law?

I saw you're convoluted chain of taking 1 sentence from this book paired with one from another mixed with a third from yet another book. But no I have never seen 1 passage that says "Yeah all the old shit, yeah just ignore it it no longer applies" please cite a passage that says that.

Granted we are arguing the wallpaper color on the nautilus here fiction is fiction.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
22-03-2014, 06:08 PM
(22-03-2014 05:55 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Sure, but I won't because:

You have not shown what makes your god so special(the sacrafice doesn't count, it is no different then saying hinduism is true because it is the only religion were you can achieve krishna conciseness

You have not gotten rid of other biblical worshiping denominations besides your own(i.e the black hebrew israelites)

Also I only debate science. It is my job for science education not deconverting people from Islam, or Sikhism, or Hinduism or what ever.Drinking Beverage

In other words...

You will not debate me.
22-03-2014, 06:11 PM
(22-03-2014 05:59 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Granted we are arguing the wallpaper color on the nautilus here fiction is fiction.

Care to debate me on whether or not the New Testament should be considered a compilation of ancient biographies, letters of correspondence and epistles or whether it should be considered a work of fiction?
22-03-2014, 06:11 PM
(22-03-2014 06:08 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 05:55 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Sure, but I won't because:

In other words...

You will not debate me.

On religion I won't.