Christians must follow the old testament.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2014, 06:16 PM
RE: Christians must follow the old testament.
(22-03-2014 06:11 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 05:59 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Granted we are arguing the wallpaper color on the nautilus here fiction is fiction.

Care to debate me on whether or not the New Testament should be considered a compilation of ancient biographies, letters of correspondence and epistles or whether it should be considered a work of fiction?

No because there is no debate. Archaeology and contemporary history show it is in error in several places and the Gospels were never written as history they were faith documents meant to be read to believers by believers about what they already believed. I have seen enough of what you are selling to see it would be pointless to give referenced accounts on all of this but feel free to look up my previous dissertations.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
22-03-2014, 06:17 PM
(22-03-2014 06:11 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 06:08 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  In other words...

You will not debate me.

On religion I won't.

I think science has its limitations and to insist that if science cannot answer a question about reality then that question has no answer is unjustified.

Agree or disagree?
22-03-2014, 06:18 PM
(22-03-2014 06:16 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No because there is no debate.

As I suspected.

I am noticing a trend. I am observing a recurring pattern.
22-03-2014, 06:20 PM
(22-03-2014 06:18 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 06:16 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No because there is no debate.

As I suspected.

I am noticing a trend. I am observing a recurring pattern.

That you are not worth the time of people here yes.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
22-03-2014, 06:22 PM
(22-03-2014 06:17 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 06:11 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  On religion I won't.

I think science has its limitations and to insist that if science cannot answer a question about reality then that question has no answer is unjustified.

Agree or disagree?

Disagree. Our species must keep working. With effort anything is possible(besides me getting a girlfriend, not even a deity can give me one)

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
22-03-2014, 06:23 PM
(22-03-2014 06:22 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 06:17 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I think science has its limitations and to insist that if science cannot answer a question about reality then that question has no answer is unjustified.

Agree or disagree?

Disagree. Our species must keep working. With effort anything is possible(besides me getting a girlfriend, not even a deity can give me one)
Sadcryface
22-03-2014, 06:26 PM
(22-03-2014 05:49 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 05:47 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  That you can pick and choose which laws still apply. Cause seems to me there is 1 very relevant passage in whether the Law and the Prophets still apply if you buy into this cult.

Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.

That is one verse out of the gospel of Matthew. There are other letters, ancient biographies, and personal correspondences in the New Testament besides this one by Matthew.

Are you familiar with any of the others that speak of the Law?

There are ancient letters. Letter writing in the Roman period was very different than today. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/21...12564.html
There were no "biographies". The gospels are not "biographies". No scholar says they are "biographies".
There is no "personal correspondence". The letters included in the NT were written to local church groups.

Perhaps before you start your preaching career, you ought to take at least ONE class on the Babble.

Every (single) law and injunction in the Bible was imported from already existing cultural norms. NOT one thing came from a "deity". Hebrew culture was ALWAYS in flux. From the first time the tribes were first united by the Judge Deborah around 1200 BCE, through the period when they decided to get themselves a king, to the exilic period. There never was "ONE perfect time" where the OT was "set in stone" (which Christians might now have to "follow"). It was always a work-in-progress. The Northern Kingdom hated the Southern Kingdom. The Bible wasn't assembled until the exile, so it's all moot, as AFTER the exile, Apocalypticism arose and changed everything.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ble-Bull-s
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...other-look

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-03-2014, 06:26 PM
(22-03-2014 06:22 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 06:17 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I think science has its limitations and to insist that if science cannot answer a question about reality then that question has no answer is unjustified.

Agree or disagree?

Let us debate the issue then.
22-03-2014, 06:27 PM
(22-03-2014 06:23 PM)Charis Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 06:22 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Disagree. Our species must keep working. With effort anything is possible(besides me getting a girlfriend, not even a deity can give me one)
Sadcryface

Whats that for? Brighten up sisBig Grin

22-03-2014, 06:28 PM
(22-03-2014 06:26 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 06:22 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Disagree. Our species must keep working. With effort anything is possible(besides me getting a girlfriend, not even a deity can give me one)

Let us debate the issue then.

Again no.

I just don't feel like it. I debate scientific discoveries. Also the fact that things that science once couldn't explain(like mercury's rotation around the sun) it now does.