Christians that don't believe the bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2014, 07:10 PM
Hey everyone,

I was just talking with my wife and told her all of the atrocities in the bible and everything that happens in the bible was written by a man and not by god so you can't take their word for it (I.e how can you believe a man that's says god is okay with slavery how does he know what god thinks?)

I explained that Christians believe that the bible is the word of god. She disagrees. I asked her if you don't believe the bible is the word of god how can you be Christian? She says the stories are written by people who experienced miracles. I tried to tell her that the New Testament was written hundreds of years after Jesus' death but she wouldn't accept that.

Where can I go from this if I ever find myself in a conversation like this again?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2014, 07:17 PM
RE: Christians that don't believe the bible
(21-08-2014 07:10 PM)cockneyjay Wrote:  Hey everyone,

I was just talking with my wife and told her all of the atrocities in the bible and everything that happens in the bible was written by a man and not by god so you can't take their word for it (I.e how can you believe a man that's says god is okay with slavery how does he know what god thinks?)

I explained that Christians believe that the bible is the word of god. She disagrees. I asked her if you don't believe the bible is the word of god how can you be Christian? She says the stories are written by people who experienced miracles. I tried to tell her that the New Testament was written hundreds of years after Jesus' death but she wouldn't accept that.

Where can I go from this if I ever find myself in a conversation like this again?

Have her take a theology class in christianity, the texts always freely admit it was religious tradition, and community writings, that the gospels were not written by the person people think.

or, shit down with her and a laptop, click google, type in

authorship of...enter whatever book you wasnt, let the discovery of truth begin.

or click the link below to see where I backhanded a guy named jeremy walker with those very facts...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...one-on-one

do some reading, expand your knowledge and the ability to substantiate the truth, watch some podcasts on the main page....good luck.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
21-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I actually have done a reasonable amount of research in to the bible but it's the first time I've ever heard a Christian say that they didn't believe the bible was the word of god.

I can't sit down with her because she got angry and told me she didn't want to talk about it anymore. I'm just wondering if it ever comes up again what to say in a debate with her or anyone else when I don't have quick access to links and websites.

Thanks
21-08-2014, 07:24 PM
(21-08-2014 07:21 PM)cockneyjay Wrote:  Thanks for the quick reply. I actually have done a reasonable amount of research in to the bible but it's the first time I've ever heard a Christian say that they didn't believe the bible was the word of god.

I can't sit down with her because she got angry and told me she didn't want to talk about it anymore. I'm just wondering if it ever comes up again what to say in a debate with her or anyone else when I don't have quick access to links and websites.

Thanks

Fundamentalists or young earth creationists are the ones who believe the bible is literally the truth. A lot of people these days that call themselves christians actually sit in the grey area, they understand the majority of the bible is actually parables, and allegorical writings meant to tell a message of hope, not literal truth. They tend to wave aside the OT, but think the NT is factual, which is even easier to disprove.

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
21-08-2014, 07:34 PM
But why be Christian if you don't believe god wrote the words through man?
21-08-2014, 07:39 PM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2014 07:03 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
(21-08-2014 07:34 PM)cockneyjay Wrote:  But why be Christian if you don't believe god wrote the words through man?

There are more than 35,000 versions of Christianity in this world, true fact, all take a bit different view of things. Apologists techniques these day are to stay in the grey area, don't commit to things they know are not provable. I usually focus on the jesus myth, by disproving that, it takes the very foundation of their faith right off the table

22-08-2014, 06:55 AM
(21-08-2014 07:34 PM)cockneyjay Wrote:  But why be Christian if you don't believe god wrote the words through man?
Because you do not need to believe the bible is literally true to believe the message is true. I was one of those Christians. I felt it was a collection of stores to teach lessons.
22-08-2014, 07:07 AM
(22-08-2014 06:55 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
Because you do not need to believe the bible is literally true to believe the message is true. I was one of those Christians. I felt it was a collection of stores to teach lessons.

This. I have come across a lot of this. It makes sense because any intelligent person who actually reads the bible starts seeing the holes, and must come to a place where they can dismiss the BS stories, and focus instead on their "faith". Even the scholars know this. I have taken many Christian theology courses and the texts and professors will quickly agree that it is largely a parable, put together from allegorical writings meant to send a message. It is the "message we should focus on" and not who actually wrote it. "Belief in a transcendental reality requires the ability to believe in something beyond what we see". Rolleyes

22-08-2014, 07:22 AM
(22-08-2014 06:55 AM)wazzel Wrote:  

I did this for years, I simply didn't think about the implications of a bible that wasn't literal or true.

But one day it dawned on me and I thought -"If it's not really true, then it's not true?" If it were a snake it woulda bit me!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
22-08-2014, 07:41 AM
The Bible never claims literal perfection.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post