Christians that don't believe the bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2014, 09:23 AM
RE: Christians that don't believe the bible
(22-08-2014 09:22 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(22-08-2014 09:15 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Third base!

It's not a non sequitur why would a perfect being create an imperfect creation?

No.

smh

You didn't catch it.

C'mon, Revs. I am disappoint.

Who's On First?

Edit: I'll save you the Google. Third Base = I don't know. How can I ever know someone's intentions?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2014, 09:38 AM
(22-08-2014 09:23 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-08-2014 09:22 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It's not a non sequitur why would a perfect being create an imperfect creation?

No.

smh

You didn't catch it.

Who's On First?

Edit: I'll save you the Google. Third Base = I don't know. How can I ever know someone's intentions?

I'm sorry I thought you were doing an out of left field thing.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
22-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Any question involving "God" and "why" is just going to devolve into "lol i dunno", quickly followed by the likes of "the lord works in mysterious ways" or "his ways are not our ways" or "it's all ineffable so never you mind".

The standard positive claims about God are incoherent, but they serve their purpose as shibboleths.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
22-08-2014, 09:52 AM
(22-08-2014 08:04 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-08-2014 07:46 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  But many that thump it do.

Because they haven't read it.

Oh I think they read it. They absolutely do. I watched my mom read the bible everyday of her life.

Understanding it may be something else altogether.
And
The real issue is interpreting what one reads.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
22-08-2014, 09:56 AM
(22-08-2014 09:38 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(22-08-2014 09:23 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  No.

smh

You didn't catch it.

Who's On First?

I'm sorry I thought you were doing an out of left field thing.

No, the left fielder is Why.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
22-08-2014, 10:06 AM
(22-08-2014 09:22 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(22-08-2014 09:15 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Third base!

It's not a non sequitur why would a perfect being create an imperfect creation?
Not that I'm buying into the whole perfect being\creation thing but perhaps the world, in the eyes of this god fellow, is perfect. I mean the god of the bible is a pretty evil dude so it would seem consistent.
22-08-2014, 10:22 AM
Yes. It's kinda weird if a Christian doesn't believe the bible. If the bible isn't true I'm not sure where the basis for Christian belief comes from.
I can understand the idea that many stories aren't to be taken literally but how does one decide which is which?
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
22-08-2014, 10:26 AM
(21-08-2014 07:21 PM)cockneyjay Wrote:  Thanks for the quick reply. I actually have done a reasonable amount of research in to the bible but it's the first time I've ever heard a Christian say that they didn't believe the bible was the word of god.

I can't sit down with her because she got angry and told me she didn't want to talk about it anymore. I'm just wondering if it ever comes up again what to say in a debate with her or anyone else when I don't have quick access to links and websites.

Thanks

For the good of your marriage I would leave it be. Her beliefs sound mostly harmless. If she will come out of it she will likely do so in her own time, forcing her to critically examine the bible will only make her uncomfortable and resentful.

You can't change peoples minds for them. Be willing to share information with when it is appropriate or when she asks.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
22-08-2014, 11:37 AM
(22-08-2014 10:22 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Yes. It's kinda weird if a Christian doesn't believe the bible. If the bible isn't true I'm not sure where the basis for Christian belief comes from.
I can understand the idea that many stories aren't to be taken literally but how does one decide which is which?

For me it was rather simple. If it sounded to good to be true it was more than likely a fable than a literal story.
22-08-2014, 04:06 PM
(21-08-2014 07:10 PM)cockneyjay Wrote:  I explained that Christians believe that the bible is the word of god. She disagrees. I asked her if you don't believe the bible is the word of god how can you be Christian?

It's easy for me. Of course I think the essence of The Word is to be your own personal Jesus and Christ was an atheist so take it with a grain of salt.

#sigh