Christians wanting to hijack Easter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2016, 03:28 PM
Christians wanting to hijack Easter
Just read this article in the NZ Herald
"Churches to discuss Easter" which looks like it has been sourced from the UK Daily Telegraph "Easter date to be fixed 'within next five to 10 years'"

Quote:Easter should fall on the same Sunday every year, the Archbishop of Canterbury has suggested.
Quote:The Most Rev Justin Welby said that Anglican leaders would join discussions with other church leaders about the move to fix the date
Quote:The Archbishop said: "We had warned the Government that this was coming up. I would expect [it to happen] between five and 10 years' time

The thing is, UK is a secular country and Easter is a traditional holiday with Pagan roots. Easter historically being the celebration of the fertility goddess Eastre and using fertility symbols of rabbits and eggs.

The churches can decide amongst themselves when they want to celebrate Easter but this shouldn't alter the country's perspective of when Easter is to be celebrated.

I'd be quite annoyed if UK and perhaps NZ bend to these Church whims. We need to show that our countries are secular not Christian.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Stevil's post
16-01-2016, 05:39 PM
RE: Christians wanting to hijack Easter
(16-01-2016 03:28 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Just read this article in the NZ Herald
"Churches to discuss Easter" which looks like it has been sourced from the UK Daily Telegraph "Easter date to be fixed 'within next five to 10 years'"

Quote:Easter should fall on the same Sunday every year, the Archbishop of Canterbury has suggested.
Quote:The Most Rev Justin Welby said that Anglican leaders would join discussions with other church leaders about the move to fix the date
Quote:The Archbishop said: "We had warned the Government that this was coming up. I would expect [it to happen] between five and 10 years' time

The thing is, UK is a secular country and Easter is a traditional holiday with Pagan roots. Easter historically being the celebration of the fertility goddess Eastre and using fertility symbols of rabbits and eggs.

The churches can decide amongst themselves when they want to celebrate Easter but this shouldn't alter the country's perspective of when Easter is to be celebrated.

I'd be quite annoyed if UK and perhaps NZ bend to these Church whims. We need to show that our countries are secular not Christian.

In the U.S., Easter is not a legal holiday, nor is it in the U.K. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-01-2016, 07:02 PM
I don't give a rat's ass if the Christians want to hijack Easter. They can have it as long as they don't fuck with Spring Turkey hunting season which starts about the same time. I understand there are a bunch of christians who do not call it "Easter." They call it "Resurrection Day." A conservative Christian on a firearms board told me that's what his church calls it. That's definitely not catchy and is not going to win them many converts.
16-01-2016, 08:04 PM
Easter is a holiday in Australia.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
16-01-2016, 08:31 PM
(16-01-2016 08:04 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Easter is a holiday in Australia.

Not nationally. The Saturday and Monday are, but not Easter day.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-01-2016, 10:20 PM
Other than perhaps buying some candy that is wrapped for the occasion, I pay little attention to Easter. Most places around here don't give time off for Easter...not even Good Friday, though some will let people take it off (unpaid or using PTO) without much grief.

As a kid it meant an ugly new Easter outfit, lots of candy, and a meal at grandma's house with aunts, uncles, and cousins. Now it's just a Sunday with candy.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
16-01-2016, 11:27 PM
(16-01-2016 10:20 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Now it's just a Sunday with candy.

[Image: image.jpg?w=600&c=1]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
17-01-2016, 01:03 PM
(16-01-2016 08:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-01-2016 08:04 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Easter is a holiday in Australia.

Not nationally. The Saturday and Monday are, but not Easter day.

Easter is a four day holiday (for many), including the week-end, because many people get the week-end off anyway. But sure some people work on the week-end.
It would be a great shame to move Easter to a fixed day as it will sometimes fall mid week. Christian's shouldn't have any more say in it that non Christians.
17-01-2016, 01:05 PM
(16-01-2016 10:20 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Other than perhaps buying some candy that is wrapped for the occasion,
You guys don't do chocolate?

Chocolate is the reason for the season. Without chocolate (oh, and a couple of days off work) you may as well not have Easter.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
17-01-2016, 01:07 PM
(17-01-2016 01:05 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(16-01-2016 10:20 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Other than perhaps buying some candy that is wrapped for the occasion,
You guys don't do chocolate?

Chocolate is the reason for the season. Without chocolate (oh, and a couple of days off work) you may as well not have Easter.

I get a couple days off at Easter - Saturday and Sunday - just like every other week. Undecided

Chocolate is every day. It's just wrapped in pastel colors around Easter. Wink

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat