Christians wanting to hijack Easter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2016, 11:23 PM
RE: Christians wanting to hijack Easter
(23-01-2016 06:32 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  This logic still doesn't make sense.

You constant claim of it's a pagan holiday first, would still make you not secular if it was celebrated on that regard.
I'm not at all worried about the roots of the holiday.
What I am having an issue with is that the Christians seem to still own the holiday, in that they can choose to change the day if they want.

I feel NZ government ought to own the holiday. In that they don't need to change the day even though the Christian churches decide to celebrate it on a different day.

(23-01-2016 06:32 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  The Christians "hijacked" Easter over a thousand years ago.
I say "hijacked" because the government set the holiday days not the Christians.
If the Christian's want to change it then they can insist their flocks go to church on the new Sunday, but I don't see Why the NZ govt is to change the date as well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2016, 04:13 PM
RE: Christians wanting to hijack Easter
(23-01-2016 07:07 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(23-01-2016 12:27 AM)Stevil Wrote:  No, quite different.

The law against gays getting married was a specific restriction enforced by law stopping gay people from forming families with their loved one.

The removal of that law wasn't because no one gave a shit, it was because the law was unnecessary and conflicted with people's freedom to live their own lives. It was government butting in where it doesn't belong. Potentially locking up people who pose no threat to society.

Moving the date of Easter, although trivial to most of us (no-one has their freedoms legally removed) does show that our govt considers Easter to be the domain of Christians. I don't agree that it is their domain. I celebrate Easter but i am not a Christian. NZ isn't a Christian country. The holiday is a throwback to ancient pagan times. If our government is to maintain a seperation from religion then I don't see how we can change our holidays to align with Christians.

Easter is the domain of Christians, it's a Christian holiday...
Just because you don't see it that way doesn't make it not a Christian holiday.

Yes it has pagan roots but look at NZ as a whole, we are a vastly different country compared to 400 years ago. If you wanted everything to happen a certain way because it did so in the past than pull out your flax skirt good sir and get your poi on.
Yes Christianity hijacked Easter 1400 to 1800 years ago. Nothing us born again pagans can do about it now!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply